My new ambulance, starting the conversion

carcrafter22

Adventurer
Here is my new ambulance/camper. My wife and I are converting it to camper status right now. It has the reliable 7.3L powerstroke with 118,000 miles on it, we will be installing a ujoint off road 4x4 kit next month and lifting it 4". The interior is getting gutted right now for new R25 insulation, new paneling, counter top, sink, and lots of other goodies. The van already came with a 1050W inverter and 3 stage charger so with a little rewiring all should be fine. I plan to install a pair of 6V golf cart batteries so the 2 engine batteries are only used for the engine and cab radio. There will be a roof mounted A/C since we live in texas as well as an on board generator. Side windows will be 36X22 so my 2 little girls can see the view.

This will be mainly used to take the family on long road trips like going to alaska, utah, colorado, arkansas, etc. as well as tow our boat when we go camping. I probably dont have to have 4wd but I like having it those few times its needed.

For looks we are planning on a set of rockstar flat black wheels along with an egg shell white paint job with a simple graphic sticker (maybe a slight S shape of carbon fiber or black diamond plate) on both sides to break things up. The lower rear of the box will get angle cut slightly to help get through certain spots I already know of that this thing will drag bumper.

I'll keep this thread updated if anyone is interested.

nely

Adventurer
Every ambulance I see makes me wish I bought one. Enjoy! And youll love the ujoint kit. I know I do.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

carcrafter22

Adventurer
Thanks guys, we are loving it so far. We got a few things done today like the new counter top, sink and finished up the welding and grinding on the bench seat. The seat frame is made of 1"x1" steel non structural parts are 14ga and the important parts are 11ga. We were suprised by its light weight (although I did design it based on it being lighter and much stronger than a comparable wood counter part) even my wife could lift the entire thing easily.

Here are a few pics of the progress, I know it looks messy right now but its slowly coming together. The good pics will come after we get the new paneling up and large windows.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Not bolt in, the spring perches need to be removed & moved out. The shock mounts are in the wrong location too, I have a kit to fix both. (SA001)

Clark

Observer
Hey Chris - When you're talking about a rear axle from a 99+ are you talking about the Dana 60 from an E350 or are you talking about a Sterling as is indicated in the SA001 description?

Clark

Observer
The the axle come out of the F350 or does it also come out of the F250. Are there any other trucks it comes out of?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998