My new base: Jeep Commander

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I'm back in a Jeep!! I just got a 2006 Jeep Commander. The deals dealerships are offering on remaining '06 models are outrageous, even though I had to go up to Virginia to get the best deal.

Any other Commander owners on this board? What mods have you done?

The plans for mine right now:
- 245/75-17 BFG ATs
- Maybe a very mild 1 to 2" lift (OME already having springs out for the WK/XK?)
- Good skids
- Rocker protection
- Additional fuel (fuel tank of the '06 is not that great)

Let's see if this build-up goes further than the one of my Tacoma ;)

LUISJG

Explorer
Im extreamly happy with my 07 commander though is not a 4x4,, because its my familiy vehicle,,this thing rides Nice!!

articulate

Expedition Leader
:smileeek:
I'm looking forward to this one. Sweet. I've thought the Commanders are great looking machines. I'm interested to see what you do to it :)

Scott Brady

Founder
Very cool. WK springs are available from OME now (or shortly) with new shocks. The Commander is a very classy machine. Outfitted a bit and it will look very safari.

What color? ;)

haven

Expedition Leader
suspension lift for Commander

The stock Commander has a tall, long body that makes the tires look small.
Here's the stock Commander (aka Jeep XJ)

commander.jpg

The suspension of the Commander is the same as the Grand Cherokee,
so lift kits for one will fit the other. Here's the XJ with Superlift's 4 inch lift
and taller tires.

xk_zebra_650.jpg

Much better, IMO. Now if Jeep would just put the Mercedes 3.0L V6 diesel
into the Commander as well as the Grand Cherokee, we'd have a great
base for an expedition package. (I have reluctantly given up trying to
talk Scott into using the Mercedes GL 320 diesel as his next project.)

Chip Haven

Scott Brady

Founder
haven said:
Much better, IMO. Now if Jeep would just put the Mercedes 3.0L V6 diesel
into the Commander as well as the Grand Cherokee, we'd have a great
base for an expedition package. (I have reluctantly given up trying to
talk Scott into using the Mercedes GL 320 diesel as his next project.)

Chip Haven

Chip, the 3.0 diesel powered Commander would be excellent.

And on the Mercedes. I drove a 1985 diesel sedan for a few years while working in CA. A very cool car.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I'd love to see pics and I'm curious what features the 4wd system has, for example, is it only part time or does it offer a full time feature like my Liberty.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Jeep guys buying Toyotas and Toyota guys buying Jeeps.... What's next? Cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria!! :punk03:

86cj

Explorer
I have not seen a Commander in person with Any mod's so far, the lifted ones look real sweet.....

Just like my LJ, a small lift adds proportion nicely. Don't be bashful I did a 2" BB and 33's at 36 miles old.....

Good luck staying away from AEV with the visa card..........

2500Adventures

Adventurer
Gossett Jeep Dealership here in Memphis had an 06 Commander with a 4" lift, huge BFG All-Terrain tires, Defender Roof basket with 4 PIAA lights on it, had the MOPAR bull bar on the front with 2 more PIAA lights attached to that. It was silver and awesome looking. Not sure whatever came of it, next time i went to the dealer it was sold. It had been one of their demos they had outfitted to help sell.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
2006KJSPORT4x4 said:
had the MOPAR bull bar on the front
Is Jeep offering bull bars from the factory or is this one of those cosmetic grill guards? That statement grabbed my interest, since it's possible to get real bull bars, snorkels and stuff from Toyota, Rover and Nissan (and maybe Jeep?) in some places, like Australia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz