My new-to-me 6.2L Disco

LtFuzz

Explorer
photo-1-XL.jpg

chris snell

Adventurer
doin' it right:

photo-XL.jpg

I would avoid stacking a bunch of ring terminals like you did on the left, even for a ground. I also don't recommend soldering a bunch of wires into one ring terminal, like you did for your +12V feed. To "do it right", I would install a fuse block with a common ground bus. This way, everything ties neatly into ground and +12V and you're only running one wire to chassis ground and one to your +12V on the battery. Also, I'm not sure how your ground ties into your body there--I can't see it in those pictures--but I would consider installing that ground on the frame instead of the painted body.

126.png

LtFuzz

Explorer
I would avoid stacking a bunch of ring terminals like you did on the left, even for a ground. I also don't recommend soldering a bunch of wires into one ring terminal, like you did for your +12V feed. To "do it right", I would install a fuse block with a common ground bus. This way, everything ties neatly into ground and +12V and you're only running one wire to chassis ground and one to your +12V on the battery. Also, I'm not sure how your ground ties into your body there--I can't see it in those pictures--but I would consider installing that ground on the frame instead of the painted body.

Good points. It will go to the frame -- everything's just hanging there right now (the picture is a little deceptive; nothing is mounted yet.)

Other than looking a little prettier, is the fuse block going to perform significantly better than in-line fuses?

chris snell

Adventurer
Though I consider stacked terminals to be the work of a hack, it's more a matter of safety. Excessive stacking can result in more heat build-up and potentially bad contact between the terminals. I used to do my electrical just like you did and after awhile, it just got out of control. I ripped it all out and installed the fuse block. It only costs an extra $40 or so and you can use it to tie in other circuits as well. Each circuit gets it's own dedicated fuse on the block and everybody gets a solid connection to the ground and +12V busses.

Here's an example of one in my truck:

That was an early install for me and I've since cleaned the cables up and installed grommets in the holes but you get the idea.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
As to the lost key issue? If you havent solved that....just give the vin# to a good lock shop and presto...new key. :D

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

LandyDisco99

Though I consider stacked terminals to be the work of a hack, it's more a matter of safety. Excessive stacking can result in more heat build-up and potentially bad contact between the terminals. I used to do my electrical just like you did and after awhile, it just got out of control. I ripped it all out and installed the fuse block. It only costs an extra $40 or so and you can use it to tie in other circuits as well. Each circuit gets it's own dedicated fuse on the block and everybody gets a solid connection to the ground and +12V busses.

Here's an example of one in my truck:

That was an early install for me and I've since cleaned the cables up and installed grommets in the holes but you get the idea.

I do believe that is a blue sea fuse block which is actually made in bellingham washington. There outstanding, i er ordered one to find out after i received it that it was made in bellingham which is ten minutes away lol. Nice clean install btw Chris.

GMRover

It'll also put in the HD axles, TruTrac + Detroit, snorkel, and some other armor I've acquired. I plan on moving over to D90 brakes and replacing most, if not all, of the bushings in the running gear. So -- hopefully -- I should be back up and running by August or so.

thanks for asking!

Bumping this thread from the dead now that I've found that you were the former owner of my rig. Did you ever get around to installing HD axles and the TruTrac + Detrot diffs? I assume the bushings you were going to replace were the bags of urethane bushings that were in the car when my uncle got it from NW Motorsports back in 2014?

LtFuzz

Explorer
Bumping this thread from the dead now that I've found that you were the former owner of my rig. Did you ever get around to installing HD axles and the TruTrac + Detrot diffs? I assume the bushings you were going to replace were the bags of urethane bushings that were in the car when my uncle got it from NW Motorsports back in 2014?

I know I had GBR axles at one point, but I cannot remember if they ever made it in the truck -- and I don't know anything about NW Motorsports. I got married at that point and my smelly diesel Disco was definitely the first thing that died with my bachelor life

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne