My offroad 5x8 Cargo Trailer Camper Conversion

Jmanscotch

is wandering
Only updates are I ordered two doors from Challenger Doors. Both are all black units, 32" tall x 26" wide with vertical windows and screens. Some change of heart from the lady meant we're going this route now versus the single existing door curb side. Their ship date is about two weeks out so that'll be a later development.

Also, I went ahead and framed for the doors, based on specs given from Challenger. Didn't want to cut the aluminum until I have the doors on site to verify some dimensions...you know, lack of trust on accuracy from some folks.

Cutting the existing vertical Z supports and melting some 1" square tube in place of it for the door supports:

Skins trimmed down 8" and screwed back on for now. I'm going to replace the screws with bolts, padded washers and nylon nuts...just need to source 100 or so of them for a fair price.

The next few weeks will be finish welding in cross braces for lower frame, new extended 2" receiver tongue and strip and paint the frame with bedliner.

Jake

Jmanscotch

is wandering
Thank you and indeed I do, if not a little excessive gap due to the 2” wheel adapters.

Gap between inside edge of tire and skin is right at 3 3/8ths”

Flickr won’t let me embed the image from the app, so I’ll fix it later.

Jmanscotch

is wandering
Are those 5 lug to 6 lug spacers? Which ones did you use?

Correct. 5x4.5 to 6x5.5. They're just some I got from ebay. 2" thickness of this particular adaptation is seemingly going to be your minimum thickness due to where the studs fall. At Least one of the 5 lugs occupies the same space as one of the new 6, so the two-piece spacer is required to first mount to the 5 lug then 1.75" or so of spacer to make clearance for the 6 lug to mount and not interfere.

Here's the listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-WHEEL-SP...LUG-/311194776225?vxp=mtr&hash=item4874a772a1

Super cool. This is exactly what I was looking to do myself. Do you have any question about strength? I guess there is not too much to them though.

Jmanscotch

is wandering
nice. Did they fit well with the Toyota Hubcentric wheels?

I went with ProComp wheels and am using them in a lug centric fashion (I had to buy new lug nuts to attach the adapters to the trailer hubs, as a side note, thread pitch vs conical/acorn compatibility issues). I don't believe the adapters are hubcentric, so running Toyota wheels would present an issue on that front. You might have to go with custom adapters, run a new axle, 6 lug with hubcentric rings/spacers or do some combo of the initial adapter plus a second hubcentric spacer...obviously that's a lot to go through and at some point it makes more sense financially, and for safety, to just get the new axle or cheap lug centric wheels.

The only potential issue is when it comes to using a spare tire. My trailer designated spare is a hubcentric Toyota steelie, while my truck spare is both hub and lug centric. So if the trailer gets a flat, realistically it'll get my truck spare and if my truck gets a flat AFTER the trailer, then it can take the trailer spare. If the truck gets multiple flats...it's been a rough day, but I'll essentially have 4 spare tires (though leaving a trailer behind...but hard to steal without tires).

If the trailer gets two flats....I can get it out of the woods, but would have to figure out how to secure the second incompatible wheel better before going too far/fast.

Super cool. This is exactly what I was looking to do myself. Do you have any question about strength? I guess there is not too much to them though.

Strength of the trailer or the adapters?

On the trailer: Not exactly. I do see a few point which I'd identify as the weakest links (like where the A-Frame tongue ties into the main box frame) but I wouldn't say reinforcing that is a must, depending on your use. I plan to reinforce it slightly for cheap insurance.

On the adapters: People have their opinions on spacers, I have mine. These seem of good quality and I have no concerns associated with them.

Jake

I was referring to the adapters. I have heard both schools of thought, but never used them or knew someone who had. I suspect this would address my concern of the tires rubbing the trailer side like it did for you. I might try using them on the existing axle until I get around to replacing it.

We all know these trailers have their limitations. I have yet to see my trailer, but I suspect it will have the same issues.

I was thinking those were Pro Comp wheels. I just put those same wheels on my Chevy and really like them. I even priced out putting them on my trailer. I was not sure if I wanted to spend the cash. I have the old Prime wheels that I replaced on the truck and was thinking of using them, but seeing your rig I think I might have to change my mind.

Matt

Jmanscotch

is wandering
I was referring to the adapters. I have heard both schools of thought, but never used them or knew someone who had. I suspect this would address my concern of the tires rubbing the trailer side like it did for you. I might try using them on the existing axle until I get around to replacing it.

We all know these trailers have their limitations. I have yet to see my trailer, but I suspect it will have the same issues.

I was thinking those were Pro Comp wheels. I just put those same wheels on my Chevy and really like them. I even priced out putting them on my trailer. I was not sure if I wanted to spend the cash. I have the old Prime wheels that I replaced on the truck and was thinking of using them, but seeing your rig I think I might have to change my mind.

Matt

Gotcha. I've used them a handful of times, both on vehicles and on trailers. I've only had a bad experience once and it was due to forgetting to torque down some lug nuts on the spacers, not an inherent spacer problem.

My personal take on them is to try to buy decent quality ones (cheap ones can have weak studs) and don't go obnoxious on the width. I personally have a desire not to use them if they're wider then about 1.5". In this situation I didn't have that choice so I bent that personal rule...but it's also a trailer, not the front turning wheels of a couple ton truck.

The obvious extra caution applies when torquing them properly, cleaning the stud and lug threads well before adding blue thread locker, making sure you use the style that come with new wheel studs (as those that just space wheels out on existing studs can put you securing your wheels with too few threads holding on).

On trailers, they're more annoying than anything. If you don't have EZ Lube hubs, often you have to remove the wheel spacers to get the grease cap off the hub to service the hubs. On these two piece ones, that's loosing the 6 main wheel lug nuts then remove the wheel. Take 6 hex head bolts out and remove outer piece, then take lug wrench and some vice grips, secure the back of the hub with the vice grips and remove the 5 lug nuts holding the inner adapter piece off while opposing the turning force with the vice grips (and all these have thread locker on them, but that's also why you use BLUE and not RED). Only then will you be able to get in on the dust cap to pry it off to access the axle nut.

I've had fantasies of designing a way to remove the dust cap and avoid this whole mess...but most of the design concepts I think up are then hindering ones ability to tap the cap back on without crushing it...maybe one day I'll conjure up a way.

L3TT3RS

@pooping_outside
That's where I'm at right now. I've been looking for adapters that are hub centric to run some toyota steelies for my application. I'm concerned about maintenance as well. But in the applicatn I have, in just gonna have to make the best of it until I can afford to put some timbren with the right lift and spacing. I'd love to have matching wheels. But it will likely just be the toyota steel wheels. Interchangabilty of wheels/tires from tow vehicle to trailer is at the top of my list.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior