My offroad 5x8 Cargo Trailer Camper Conversion

Jmanscotch

is wandering
Decided to check my dash cam and save a few videos from the trip. Unfortunately it had already loop recorded over the majority of the first of the trip, but I did have one short clip from pulling into camp the last day. Pointless video really, but here it is.

For anyone interested, I have the Spytec/Viofa A119 dash cam, with the GPS module, anti-glare lense and 64GB lexar SD card.

Just got caught up after being away for almost a month. The trailer is coming along super nice. I am jealous of you trip too. We are thinking about doing a long tongue as well, but make it so it can slide in and out. That way we can adjust the length depending on the situation.

Our build is on hold for a bit. We listed our house and ended up with a full price offer right away. We had to move on short notice and so everything else went on hold. I am looking forward to getting back into it as soon as we get everything unpacked and the garage restored to usable.

Matt

Jmanscotch

is wandering
Things have been slow lately and with the dozen or so wildfires burning around Colorado right now, stage 3 fire bans have me putting some plans on the back burner and focusing on items that don't require any grinding or welding outdoors.

We have one 100,000+ acre fire burning right now because a guy had been cooking some meat in his yard and the coals caught the next day...so rightfully, local authorities are writing rather large financial reminders for anyone caught doing anything with a flame or spark outside...so I'm focusing on the interior right now.

Before getting started on interior work, I set out to fix one of the main things I found out on my trip with my father: bumpy roads and 30 MPH could convince the suspension to compress enough that the axle would bottom out on the trailer frame. I contemplated doing an axle flip, to gain the clearance needed, but that'd lift the trailer about 5-6 inches and that was just going to be too much.

Since I'm running an exact Jeep CJ-7 suspension, I decided to see what options I had for a lift kit for that chassis. I found some 2 inch lift shackles and based on what I observed, they'll work perfectly to give me clearance without going too high, all for a mere $40.

Before and after:

One of the other things I noticed was the trailer seemed slightly tongue heavy on our trip, so I took some time to run to one of my companies facilities to use the truck scale there.

As the trailer sits now, it's 1,160 pounds, with a tongue weight of 220 pounds. So a little more than ideal. Batteries and a galley should help balance that nicely and get me closer to my goal of 10%.

With that question answered, lets move onto the interior work.

I went with 1" insulation, attached to the walls and roof with some silicone adhesive laid in vertical rows. My thinking here was if there were ever a leak, the vertical rows will allow moisture to roll down and out instead of having a spot to collect. The Gorilla glue will be used later.

I also filled some of the odd-ball shapes in the front of the trailer with minimally expanding foam.

Then onto the wonderful mess of cutting the foam insulation, white balls going everywhere and hours of measuring, cutting, fitting, gluing, taping....good fun.

Next was the interior wood walls. I went with some 1/2 Maple. Cut the 4x8 sheet down to size, placed inside and traced the doorway so I could cut the hole there.

I just used a pen to trace a rough duplicate of the inside edge of the door opening. On the interior of the door, there's finishing trim ring that'll be installed. It fits behind a 3/4 inch frame around the door opening. Thus the original trace of the door opening will need cut out about an 1 inch to give room for the trim ring to fit.

Cutting complete.

Mocked up to ensure proper fitment with the trim ring in place.

Everything fit well, so sides were sanded and staining commenced. I let the lady pick the stain, she settled on a lighter color since it'll be close quarters. I believe it's called Puritine Pine, by MinWax. Two coats of that were applied. Tomorrow I'll finish it off with some clear gloss, water based, polyurethane and we'll get to installing it.

No pictures right now, but while she was staining, I ran the wiring for the side porch lights, dome light and vent fan.

Jake

Last edited:

Jmanscotch

is wandering
I don't think I addressed the window coverings the lady made for it yet. She came up with a simple yet effective solution for offering some privacy, shade and yet the ability to cinch them up and let the air flow through the windows when open.

She picked a nice fleece material. Helps promote a cozy feeling inside and offers a little insulation for the window.

She sewed velcro strips on so they could easily be removed and washed when needed.

Folding them up and out of the way is done simply by rolling/folding up the bottom and using the extra strap of fabric to tie it up.

I really like the way they turned out.

Jake

pigsammy

Nice job on the trailer! And glad you are already enjoying it.
Since you appear to be a taller guy, have you thought about flipping your awning brackets? Then they could be placed further inboard on top of the rack as well as giving a little more headroom under the awning.

Jmanscotch

is wandering
Thanks, we got out this weekend and enjoyed it as well!

Appreciate the thought...I'm 6'1" and with the awning set where it is right now, I fit under it ok so long as the far end of the awning is raised beyond "level" with the base of the awning. The recent 2" lift for the trailer definitely helped too. The only thing I don't like about flipping the mounting brackets is it'd stick up a little too high for catching tree limbs and such. Plus it'd put it a bit too far inboard on the rack, which would make it tough for my significant other to get to (she's like 5'4").

Our kinda last minute quick camping trip this weekend:

Don't let the fire fool ya, it was hot and uncomfortable camping. I really need to get the galley built so I can finish the electric and have the roof vent fan going. It was well in the 80's even at night (lower elevation) and the bugs were out with force (hence fire, and long pants/jackets). Plus a bear was in the area which meant the lady didn't relax much. Not the best first time out in the trailer for her, but we'll aim for a better trip next time.

Jake

Jake -

The build is coming along super nice. I am impressed at the level of detail. The gas fire pit is an awesome idea. I might steal it. Sorry about your better half's difficulties on the trip. Experience almost always works those things out. The most important thing is that they are willing to keep coming along on them. Clearly you are working hard at making it as good and comfortable as it can get.

Matt

Jmanscotch

is wandering
Jake -

The build is coming along super nice. I am impressed at the level of detail. The gas fire pit is an awesome idea. I might steal it. Sorry about your better half's difficulties on the trip. Experience almost always works those things out. The most important thing is that they are willing to keep coming along on them. Clearly you are working hard at making it as good and comfortable as it can get.

Matt

Thank you sir. Yeah the fire pit is essential right now. Pretty much every national forest is under a Stage II fire ban, so no open fires. Propane fire pits are really the only legal way to have a campfire and something we planned for here in Colorado, hence the propane tank mounted up front. We use it for the fire pit exclusively, little 1 lb tanks for cooking, and it's been a great addition for under $200 total (pit + propane tank with gauge). The bottle will last at least 20 hours when the pit is on high (probably more in the 25 hour range to empty) which is comfortably 2 full nights for us.

Here's the unit we bought: http://a.co/aJaqa6K

Very happy with it, both build quality, flame output, size, etc. Several positives are you don't go home smelling like a campfire, you don't spend an hour gathering firewood and all night feeding the fire, you don't have to be paranoid about extinguishing the fire anytime you leave the campsite and on cold mornings, a simple knob turned on and a strike of a lighter and you have an instant cozy fire to wake up to.

Only negative is the rocks inside the pit do create quite a bit of white powder/dust when bouncing around offroad. One day we'll replace the rocks with a fake log or something that'll still warm up and radiate heat well but could be easily removed and stored securely for travel. One thing you'll also have to adjust quickly to is: don't throw your trash in the "campfire" anymore....old habits die hard.

Jake

Hummelator

Adventurer
Thank you sir. Yeah the fire pit is essential right now. Pretty much every national forest is under a Stage II fire ban, so no open fires. Propane fire pits are really the only legal way to have a campfire and something we planned for here in Colorado, hence the propane tank mounted up front. We use it for the fire pit exclusively, little 1 lb tanks for cooking, and it's been a great addition for under $200 total (pit + propane tank with gauge). The bottle will last at least 20 hours when the pit is on high (probably more in the 25 hour range to empty) which is comfortably 2 full nights for us.

Here's the unit we bought: http://a.co/aJaqa6K

Very happy with it, both build quality, flame output, size, etc. Several positives are you don't go home smelling like a campfire, you don't spend an hour gathering firewood and all night feeding the fire, you don't have to be paranoid about extinguishing the fire anytime you leave the campsite and on cold mornings, a simple knob turned on and a strike of a lighter and you have an instant cozy fire to wake up to.

Only negative is the rocks inside the pit do create quite a bit of white powder/dust when bouncing around offroad. One day we'll replace the rocks with a fake log or something that'll still warm up and radiate heat well but could be easily removed and stored securely for travel. One thing you'll also have to adjust quickly to is: don't throw your trash in the "campfire" anymore....old habits die hard.

Jake
I actually bought the same fire pit at Costco for the same reason. Last year we had fire bans for most of the camping season and the UL rated propane fire pits were the only way you could have a fire. It doesn't come close to a real wood fire but it's better than no fire st all. Also have a 30lb tank that I have to figure out how to mount somehow...

Jmanscotch

is wandering
I actually bought the same fire pit at Costco for the same reason. Last year we had fire bans for most of the camping season and the UL rated propane fire pits were the only way you could have a fire. It doesn't come close to a real wood fire but it's better than no fire st all. Also have a 30lb tank that I have to figure out how to mount somehow...

Indeed, while it doesn’t measure up to a real camp fire, there are some perks but mostly as you mention, something > nothing during the wildfire seasons!

I considered going to larger tanks and found these, not sure they’d fit your trailer as I’m assuming you’d need a side mounted or under trailer capable mount (love your trailer btw) but here’s a link just in case. Fair price and could be modified...

https://www.americanvan.com/30-lb-f...MI2YyPiZe53AIVl7rACh3FXA79EAQYASABEgL-tvD_BwE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz