My Overland Project, the RME JKU

Greg@RME

Adventurer
I was hoping you could help me out. I have a similar Jeep build now, and was hoping you could take a measurement of your springs from perch to mount with a "normal" load (say a weekend trip).

I have the 3" Mopar stage 3 that I have been running for a while and I believe my springs are being crushed underneath the weight of my Expedition One front and rear bumpers, Warn winch, rocker guards, recovery gear, etc. I just got a deal on a used Gobi rack, and before I add MORE weight to the Jeep I was going to switch over to the Outback 3" springs that you are using based on guidance from one of the Teraflex techs. They were able to provide me with the specs that their outback springs (when loaded) would be

Front, 1863202- LOAD : 1110 LBS @ 13.75"

Rear, 1864202 LOAD : 930 LBS @ 13.5

I really wanted to get some real world feedback before I jumped on these and found they did not hold up either. Thank you in advance for your time.

I'll see what I can do, not sure how soon I'll have the JK loaded up for a weekend trip though as I have no immediate plans. From what I've seen, the Outback springs are great at supporting a heavy load, then maintaining their lift when unloaded again. Compared to the stock coils, these springs are quite a bit thicker. The ride unloaded is a bit rougher than a normal lift on things like expansion joints, but it's still compliant when you hit a big dip in the road. Personal opinion here, but I would think the Mopar springs just aren't meant for heavy loads.

I think the heaviest load I've had was during our Baja trip, we had 12 gallons of water (this changed thru the trip), 12 gallons of gas (also changed), freezer fridge, plus food, drinking water, camping & cooking gear, recovery gear, a massive heavy tent, Trasharoo, etc. That was on top of the aftermarket bumpers, sliders, winch, etc, etc. The springs compressed quite a bit, plus we did a lot of high-speed offroading, working the suspension pretty hard. This was probably overkill for the Teraflex Outback springs, but they supported the load quite well.

PB264853-X2.jpg

Greg@RME

Adventurer
I'm a bit behind on the updates, so I'll try to get all caught up. I had to prepare for an upcoming Rubicon trail trip and wanted to be sure the JKU was ready and prepared. First things first....

I added a Superchips TrailDash 2, excited to gain actual numbers from the engine motoring systems, being able to diagnose and clear engine codes and the performance tune options that they claim add a significant amount of power. Some things I love about the TrailDash... you can choose which sensors you want to watch, intake air temp, coolant temp, transmission fluid temp, voltage, RPM, knock sensor, transmission gear, etc, etc. And my favorite aspect is that you can set alarms for each gauge you're monitoring. After seeing how hot the Pentastar REALLY runs, I set an alarm at 235*'s for the coolant, then an alarm for the automatic trans fluid at 175*'s. Of course you can also control the lockers and anti-sway bar disconnect on Rubicon models, then add other switches for things like aftermarket lights, air compressor, etc. You can also raise the RPM (while in Park) when you need a little more voltage for winching, welding, jumpstarting, etc. There is also a Maintenance Manager, you can set mileage frequency's for almost all aspects of maintenance, from oil changes to air filter replacement, transmission fluid changes and diff fluid maintenance. On top of that, you can also data log your vehicles performance which is really neat if you want to record and compare what how the Jeep is reacting for tuning purposes.

With the engine tunes, I really didn't notice much difference power-wise. They may add a little power with more aggressive timing, but I could hardly tell a difference. A dyno may reveal actual numbers, but the butt dyno didn't register any real change. For any of the performance tunes, you have to run higher octane (depending on the degree of tune). Honestly I was a bit disappointed with the lack of noticeable change. My MPG's didn't seem to change, either.

Here's some of the screen shots from the TrailDash 2...

P1010255-L.jpg

P1010256-L.jpg

P1010257-L.jpg

P1010260-L.jpg

P1010261-L.jpg

P1010262-L.jpg

In the end, the TrailDash 2 offers a LOT of options for monitoring and maintaining your Jeep. I think it's a great addition for someone who wants more information and hands-on management of their Jeep.

After seeing how hot the coolant got at times, I decided it was time for a flush and coolant upgrade. I drained the old coolant, then ran a few heat cycles with a mix of distilled water and vinegar, then straight distilled water, and eventually replaced the water with Engine Ice coolant. I have ran this in a few hot running motorcycles and had good results with keeping them cool. It's not cheap, but after it was all said and done there seems to be a slight decrease in heat from the engine.... but it STILL gets pretty hot when pushing the speed limit on the freeway, in the mountains. I wish I would have logged temps before and after, but the TrailDash 2 went in right before the coolant change.

P1010246-L.jpg

Next up was some front axle maintenance and upgrades... I had one stock u-joint and one USA Alloy joint in the front shafts, but when I went to change out the stock joint I found that the unit bearing wouldn't come off the stub shaft no matter what I tried. Even after heat with the torch, some precision hammer work, etc it was totally stuck. I decide to replace both unit bearings, upgrade the shafts and u-joints just to make sure the front axle shafts were serviceable should a joint break on the trail. Since I'm on 'small' 35's I felt like RCV's were neat but overkill and I wasn't ready to spend that much on shafts. I found the aftermarket Spicer shafts with an upgrade to 1350Spicer joints. i got mine from Dennys Driveshafts for around $475, which I thought was reasonable. Here's what they claim.-

Increased u-joint size from 1310 to 1350 series
25% higher yield strength than original u-joint
U-joint sealing package upgraded to Spicer Life Series

Unparalleled strength and longer life
Fatigue life improved by 300%
2000% improvement in high-angle fatigue life

Outer stub design re-engineered for added strength
Improved snap ring retention to reduce shock load failures
Material added to yoke ears and removed from body to equalize deflection through the yoke and reduce bearing cap spinning
Micro-alloy improves strength of the shaft
Statistically controlled heat treatment ensures proper hardness

20160611_073454-L.jpg

20160611_092505-L.jpg

Next up was upgrading the rear track bar, my stock track bar was hitting on the big Outback springs when the JKU was fully loaded with gear and driven offroad.... plus, my axle was about 3/8" off center. Not a big deal, but being able to adjust the axle and center is is nice for the OCD peeps among us. Again like the beefy front TeraFlex track bar the rear track bar is massive compared to the stocker. I set both track bars on a scale and the TeraFlex track bar weighs twice as much as the stock one! :eek2: After it was on, it was a simple adjustment to center the rear axle.

P1010243-L.jpg

P1010249-L.jpg

One minor thing I did was cut off the massive exhaust tip off from the Magnaflow pipe. It looked great, but with the upcoming trip I knew it was going to get smashed as it sat right underneath the frame and rear bumper. I replaced with with a smaller, clamp-on tip.

P1010252-L.jpg

P1010254-L.jpg

After all these changes, the Rubicon Trail trip went off without a hitch. We drove out there in the JKU from Colorado, ran the trail with only minor issues, then turned back a few days later and drove home to Colorado. You have to be impressed with a Jeep that is capable of that! There were more than a few times where the front end was bound up in big rocks and I had to drive thru it... was glad for the upgraded shafts & joints!

DSC02936-L.jpg

DIESEL_RANGER

Even a measurement of the jeeps springs as it sits unloaded would give me great peace of mind, knowing that we have about the same weight with racks and bumpers and other heavy add ons.

I agree though, the springs currently are not designed for the current configuration.

I did ball joints and wheel bearings at the same time using the same set up (timken bearings). It was a worth while improvement, and the road driving characteristics did improve. The new shafts look stout as well. After using the superchips tuner I didn't notice MPG improvement until I switched over to 91+ octane only. The "seat of the pants" dyno barely registered, but improvements to the shift points after re calibrating tire size made it all worth it.

Did the new rear track bar clear the springs completely when articulated? I am experiencing the same interference issue and would love to hear your opinion on the Tereflex track bar after hitting the Rubicon.

Dave

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Even a measurement of the jeeps springs as it sits unloaded would give me great peace of mind, knowing that we have about the same weight with racks and bumpers and other heavy add ons.

I agree though, the springs currently are not designed for the current configuration.

I did ball joints and wheel bearings at the same time using the same set up (timken bearings). It was a worth while improvement, and the road driving characteristics did improve. The new shafts look stout as well. After using the superchips tuner I didn't notice MPG improvement until I switched over to 91+ octane only. The "seat of the pants" dyno barely registered, but improvements to the shift points after re calibrating tire size made it all worth it.

Did the new rear track bar clear the springs completely when articulated? I am experiencing the same interference issue and would love to hear your opinion on the Tereflex track bar after hitting the Rubicon.

Dave

Hey Dave, I haven't forgot about your request for a spring measurement! My JKU usually stays loaded up with the fridge, CO2 tank, tools & recovery gear and it's usually a bit heavy. I'll get it unloaded this weekend (needs to be cleaned out anyhow) and get you that measurement!

The new Teraflex track bar is so much better, nothing hits at all! The design allows for so much more up-travel and clearance, I had zero problems with the TF trackbar after working the JKU hard over the Rubicon.

Yuke

Adventurer
Hey Dave, I haven't forgot about your request for a spring measurement! My JKU usually stays loaded up with the fridge, CO2 tank, tools & recovery gear and it's usually a bit heavy. I'll get it unloaded this weekend (needs to be cleaned out anyhow) and get you that measurement!

The new Teraflex track bar is so much better, nothing hits at all! The design allows for so much more up-travel and clearance, I had zero problems with the TF trackbar after working the JKU hard over the Rubicon.

Take measurements loaded and unloaded please!

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Take measurements loaded and unloaded please!

I'll have to wait until the next trip out to get a fully loaded number, the stuff I had in the JK was only part of what I carry fully loaded.

I measured from the coil spring mount on top, down to the top of the axle tube. Looks like 11.5" without anything inside the Jeep, no fridge, tools, recovery gear, etc. Obviously the JK had aftermarket bumpers, the roof rack, etc.

20160909_114353-L.jpg

20160909_114422-L.jpg

This photo was taken with a light weekend-trip load; Edgestar fridge, CO2 tank, tools & recovery gear (straps, chain, etc). The suspension in the back had settled less than a 1/2" with the weekend load.

20160909_095609-L.jpg

Greg@RME

Adventurer
So I haven't posted our latest outings as Trip Reports because they're not really what most people on Expedition Portal would be interested in, but I figured I'd share the videos from our local day trips here in the build thread.

The Jeep has given been getting used quite often in the high Colorado mountains and it has been great for these local trails. There have been a couple of times where lockers have come in handy and the JKU has worked beautifully for our needs. Anyhow, here are just a couple of our recent day trips... enjoy!

Last edited:

nietz79

Awesome footage!

I was actually in Crested Butte last month, doing some Mountain Biking and on one of my "off" days, I went up to Emerald Lake for some SUP. I knew I recognized that lake fly-over in your first video! CB was amazing and so many places to take the jeep & my 2-wheeled horse.

I really need to get a roof rack --- still loving the Front Runner?

emerald_lake.jpg

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Friggin awesome rig, and visuals!

Thank you kindly! In the past couple of years I've been filming a lot of motorcycle riding with my GoPro and have been trying to get better with my editing. I recently picked up a Phantom 2 drone and have added it to capture some pretty epic aerial footage of our four wheel drive trips. It has been a blast and adds a totally new perspective on some amazing areas that we travel to.

Awesome footage!

I was actually in Crested Butte last month, doing some Mountain Biking and on one of my "off" days, I went up to Emerald Lake for some SUP. I knew I recognized that lake fly-over in your first video! CB was amazing and so many places to take the jeep & my 2-wheeled horse.

I really need to get a roof rack --- still loving the Front Runner?

View attachment 366091

Yep, Emerald Lake! I was pretty nervous to fly over open water, you never know if something is going to happen.

Crested Butte is a great area to be start from! You can head out just about any direction and go somewhere simply amazing, right out of town. We usually grab lunch in town, have camped not too far outside of town and felt like we were totally in the wild. I love it up there.

I'm still very happy with the Front Runner Slimline II roof rack, I think it is the best-looking option for a full-length rack. It also gets used pretty often, whether I'm running to the hardware store for some lumber or picking up some steel for my Willy's project. The roof rack is very handy and really opens up your options for carrying gear on a long trip.

Personally I have a hard time with any of the racks that have tubes hanging down the side and either turning into the body or bumpers. I personally think those are hideous.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Thank you kindly! In the past couple of years I've been filming a lot of motorcycle riding with my GoPro and have been trying to get better with my editing. I recently picked up a Phantom 2 drone and have added it to capture some pretty epic aerial footage of our four wheel drive trips. It has been a blast and adds a totally new perspective on some amazing areas that we travel to.

Yep, Emerald Lake! I was pretty nervous to fly over open water, you never know if something is going to happen.

Crested Butte is a great area to be start from! You can head out just about any direction and go somewhere simply amazing, right out of town. We usually grab lunch in town, have camped not too far outside of town and felt like we were totally in the wild. I love it up there.

I'm still very happy with the Front Runner Slimline II roof rack, I think it is the best-looking option for a full-length rack. It also gets used pretty often, whether I'm running to the hardware store for some lumber or picking up some steel for my Willy's project. The roof rack is very handy and really opens up your options for carrying gear on a long trip.

Personally I have a hard time with any of the racks that have tubes hanging down the side and either turning into the body or bumpers. I personally think those are hideous.

Me too. I like the front runners. And the teraflex nebo which is what I am using. No slats and using yak cross members so I can run them on my other rigs too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Looking good sir.

Appreciate it, I've tried to add what I want and will use, without going overboard.

Me too. I like the front runners. And the teraflex nebo which is what I am using. No slats and using yak cross members so I can run them on my other rigs too.

I dig the Teraflex Nebo, too... I wish they offered a full length option too, but those Freedom Panels make that a bit tougher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior