My plug for Odyssey batteries...TEN YEARS of reliable service

Dipodomys

Observer
After TEN YEARS of service, I am finally replacing the Odyssey PC1200LMJT batteries in my 2008 Tacoma. They are only now beginning to drop off in their ability to take and maintain a full charge. I have never had any battery last this long, particulalry under the conditions that these have been subjected to. I installed these in late 2008 as part of an upgrade to dual batteries. I had a custom mounting frame made at a welding shop for $40, and both batteries fit nicely in the stock battery location, with no modifications to the adjacent fuse box or anything else. Even though they are smaller than the original battery, they pack a punch. They run my winch, fridge, laptop, auxiliary lights, and whatever else I want to plug in. Oh, and they also start my truck! Everytime. The auxiliary battery can run my Engel fridge for 24 hours no problem, even in very hot (Death Valley in July) weather, and with a quality dual battery isolator (I used National Luna), you'll never run down your starting battery. I "rotate" the batteries at every oil change, and they have been 100 percent reliable. They aren't cheap ($250+ each), but they have more than exceeded my expectations. Highly recommend.

Superduty

Adventurer
What are you gonna replace them with? Just kidding.

10 yrs is impressive, particularly under those conditions. Do you ever hook up a trickle charger of any sort?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Dipodomys

Observer
What are you gonna replace them with? Just kidding.

10 yrs is impressive, particularly under those conditions. Do you ever hook up a trickle charger of any sort?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Only if the truck is sitting for more than a couple of weeks. I've found that there's enough "background" electrical draw going on (even when everything is "off") that the battery voltage will eventually drop below optimal. A little trickle charger is a good idea if the vehicle isn't your daily driver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camshaft700