My Proffitts 1HD-FT 80 series conversion *UPDATED WITH PICS AND VIDEO*

60Dan

Explorer
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the kind words!
Yeah I'm planning on coming up for the 3 days. Hope to see you there.

Just finished reading your thread "Ouachita Mtns Overlanding, May 2010"
Looks like you had a great trip - awesome pictures too BTW!

60Dan

Explorer
I'll be the first to call you crazy!

The next toy has some big shoes to fill. What are you switching to?

I have the opportunity to buy a unique Tacoma, but if it sells before I get the chance to buy it, ill just keep the Landcruiser

wyocoyote

New Ownership....me, yikes!

I bit a whole bunch of bullets and have become the new owner, purchasing yesterday from cory (Corey?) down in San Diego (who was great) and driving her home 8 hours pretty much straight, to my preferred " Bay Area" (Monterey Bay Area) did great. My first Turbo where I had to keep an eye on the Pyrometer and keep it under 1200 F to keep it from melting pistons. Lets just call that harrowing the thought of melting your investment going over the grapevine.
not sure how long the GB sticker will last, though I had wonderful travels there hitchiking all over the Islaes in the 80's. My Scottish Pro Scottish Independence former Royal Marine Neighbor is sure to deface it.
I have a lot to learn and it will probably get a low budget intercooler sooner than later, and get a better tune. with help of a Diesel Landcruiser flying wizard who spotted this for me.
only got 15-16 MPG and topped out at 50 MPH or so factoring in for the 315 tires on long significant grades. The mpg is quite an improvement over my gasser FZJ lifted on 285's's 9-12 MPG (Turnkey and soon to be up for grabs) but not so much the power, you can do a lot with the ECT button and OD off button with the autos to compensate for not regearing I'm sure I had quite the lead foot and need to learn a lot about driving her properly.
Soon to be seen on back-roads and byways of California, Nevada and Baja.
Glad its the Toyota, not a Cummins. I have a dodge, love it but cant hear anything but the cummins when driving.
Wish me luck.

FJRanger

I like getting lost...
Congrat on the new to you 1hdft, it's my 80's cohort. They were getting the conversion at Proffitt's concurrently. Once you get an intercooler you'll feel way more comfortable going up extended grades. Plus with manual you'll have the entire grill area available without having the aux trans cooler in the way.

60Dan

Explorer
Great to hear it went to a good home. Looking forward to seeing what numbers she puts out after the intercooler. Was going to splurge on a Safari front mount, but the price was just too much at the time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94