My Quest to Add a Long Range Fuel Tank To My LR4 Begins

Avslash

Observer
I have seen numerous posts over the years of people wanting to add this modification, and I know there are a few guys out there that have successfully done it.

I hope to join their ranks within the next few months, and thought that some of you might enjoy a rundown of the process as it unfolds to include the purchase, importation, and installation. If there is interest, I will be sure to post updates as I progress through the process.

To begin with, I have a 2012 LR4 with the factory HD option. It is currently equipped with TR front and rear bumpers, rock sliders, gas tank and transfer case skid plates. It is sitting on 275/65R18 LR3 wheels using Motorsport Tech 1.25" spacers. I have been very pleased with the truck on my trips to Colorado, but the long miles to get there from Texas really highlight my one big niggle with the truck. It's range from the factory leaves a lot to be desired at around 300 miles. Coming from an F250 with an unrefueled range of about 850 miles, I have wanted to add a second tank since I began driving the Rover. I really wanted to add the tank after running out of fuel about 3 miles short of a filling station when the truck was telling me I had approximately 30 miles of fuel left.:)

So, as of today, the LD3AMY08 108 liter tank is ordered from Long Range Automotive in Australia, and is to be shipped Port-to-Port to Houston, Texas. Invoice price for the tank was $1,275.00 AUD and $451.00 AUD for shipping. This worked to $1,311.85 USD with the favorable exchange rate. Expected delivery time is approximately 27 days.

The specific tank is detailed at the link below, and is the same tank that forum member mcieplinski successfully installed in his LR4.

https://longrangeautomotive.com.au/Landrover-Discovery-III-Landrover-Discovery-IV-108L-Auxiliary~249#3917b49e-37dd-460b-b568-ff51c4d575f7

In the meantime, I have printed out the nicely detailed thread from mcieplinski and dropped it off at my local Rover shop that I plan to have assist in the installation so they can see what we are getting into.

If you guys are interested, the next update should cover customs, duties, and taking possession from the Port of Houston in about a month.

Cheers.

NCLRbear

Adventurer
I'd love to see a picture of your rig. I want to get the TR front bumper for my LR3 and possibly their rear bumper and well lets face it everything they make. LoL Subscribed

SHS14

I didn't see any mention of crash testing on the site, are these safe in a rear end collision situation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ColoDisco

Explorer
These are not made from plastic however it is a valid question. Could be why they are not listed as available on the US frontrunner page.

iowalr4

Adventurer
What changes, if any, do you need to run gas rather than the diesel it mentions on that page?

Avslash

Observer
I'll be watching. Any reason you went with long ranger vs front runner?

I looked at three different tanks. The Front Runner, one made by Brown-Davis (also in Australia), and the Long Range Automotive that I eventually settled on.

The Long Range Automotive tank looked to have a larger capacity and a little better departure angle than the Front Runner unit, although this judgment is based solely on pictures I could find on the net. The Brown-Davis unit looked to have the best departure angle, but I found a few complaints about them from perusing some Australian based forums. I couldn't really find any complaints about the Long Range Automotive tank, but I could find a few people professing to have beaten it up pretty well and experienced no problems. That testimony, and the fact that I know at least one member here has successfully installed one settled me on it.

It also helped that Long Range Automotive was very timely in their responses to email inquiries.

Avslash

Observer
I didn't see any mention of crash testing on the site, are these safe in a rear end collision situation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a valid concern, as I remember the Pinto debacle when I was young. But I also spent most of my youth riding around in Silverados with the "deadly" side-saddle gas tanks.

Functionally, its an aluminized steel tank, that in this application will also sit behind a rather large and heavy steel bumper, so I like my chances. If I end up car-b-qued, I only ask that you raise a glass to me and jam some Motorhead in my memory.

Avslash

Observer
What changes, if any, do you need to run gas rather than the diesel it mentions on that page?

Many.

My understanding is that the tank will bolt right up, but that every single fuel connection will need to be custom fabricated or "engineered".

I'm going into this armed with the information that mcieplinski was kind enough to provide in his thread, and a dedicated Rover shop that is only about 3 miles from my house that seems to enjoy a challenge.

I would expect a bit of a "science project" installation, where we mount the tank, get it up and running, and then drive it for a week or two while making note of any issues, and then address the issues that arise.

SHS14

It's a valid concern, as I remember the Pinto debacle when I was young. But I also spent most of my youth riding around in Silverados with the "deadly" side-saddle gas tanks.

Functionally, its an aluminized steel tank, that in this application will also sit behind a rather large and heavy steel bumper, so I like my chances. If I end up car-b-qued, I only ask that you raise a glass to me and jam some Motorhead in my memory.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have this capability but I wouldn't want to trade safety for it. The tank seems stout enough and I was thinking more of the plumbing/electrical connections getting a proper treatment. Are they exposed or shielded from sparks? Vulnerable to leaks after an impact? ...I'm flying wingman for a fellow enthusiast.

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
4wd vehicles have a higher rollover rate than those without. If that risk is acceptable why the worry?

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94