My (removable) 50W panel

Switch

Observer
I added this solar panel to recharge my Odyssey PC1700 battery after night use of an electric blanket (AKA Wife gets cold at night). This setup worked great on its first trip - from San Francisco to Mojave Desert/ Death Valley for 10 days. We spent 5 days camped in one place and had no problems with draining the battery.

The panel can be removed when not needed. Also I can tilt the panel when the sun moves. It's attached using magnetic tape (and some electrical tape for good luck).

The panel is an ECO-WORTHY 50 Watt Flex Semi-Flexible Monocrystalline PV Solar Panel with Aluminium Base Board

DSCN2752.jpg

The charge controller is a Renogy 30 Amp PWM Solar Charge Controller
DSCN2753.jpg

[edit]
Updated for my 2022 Tacoma
1665332121731.png

I relocated the charge controller to the top of the battery. I also added a sheet of ABS plastic over the aluminum plate that holds down the battery. That aluminum plate made the positive battery terminal dangerous to work on.

1665332155057.png

Also on the old Tacoma, UV ate the tape I ran across the front edge of the panel after the first season & I realized I didn't need it after that. So no tape this time.

Last edited:

dms1

Explorer
How heavy is that battery? Looks pretty Big. The solar setup looks good, could you put a 2nd panel on the roof of the cab or is it too big?

Switch

Observer
I was contemplating the same thing. Could you show how you've got it mounted up with a few more pics?

Here's a picture of the back of the panel showing the 1" magnetic strips. I used strips of wood and several C-clamps to try to get as good a bond as possible between the aluminum panel and magnetic strips. But I've used magnetic strips on my truck before and the adhesive eventually fails after a couple of years & then I use glue to reattach. I bought the 1" magnetic strip before I learned that my local Tap Plastic store sell magnetic sheets which would probably work better - though I don't know if the magnetic field would mess with solar cells.

IMG_4017_1.jpg

Switch

Observer
How heavy is that battery? Looks pretty Big. The solar setup looks good, could you put a 2nd panel on the roof of the cab or is it too big?

The PC1700 it weights 50Lbs. There's enough room on the roof of the cab for two panels but the roof of my 2006 Tacoma has ridges that would prevent a simple magnetic mount like I did on the hood.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Cool idea man i like it. Ive had various solar panels on the roof for the last few years. I haven't really camped in one place for extended periods but Its nice to know its helping my batteries when my arb fridge is keeping cold drinks ready for my return :)

Also, it's ok bro you don't have to blame that one on your wife, I love my heated blanket while camping. The main reason I upgraded to my sine wave inverter haha

B

BPD53

I mounted a charge controller under the hood and had issues with heat. The controller was a Morningstar sunsaver. The thermal shutdown would activate during the summer months. I had to remove it. I would be interested in a long term review of your setup.

perkj

Explorer
I mounted a charge controller under the hood and had issues with heat. The controller was a Morningstar sunsaver. The thermal shutdown would activate during the summer months. I had to remove it. I would be interested in a long term review of your setup.

Did you have the sunsaver powered up while driving/engine running? Best when under the hood to only power it up when the engine is turned off and not generating heat. You should have the power fused so simply pulling the fuse would power it off. An alternative would be to have the power on a switch that would could either mount in the engine bay or in the cab. I only power my MorningStar Sunsaver MPPT this way and have never had an issue with thermal shutdown.

B

BPD53

I left mine one 24/7. The charge controller would actually behave irratically even with the engine off. I felt that the under hood temps actually damaged the controller. Of course I may be wrong. I am sure I could have used more ventilation under the hood, but you can wish in one hand.

I had considered a similar setup to the OP regarding the hood solar. I wanted to use a charge controller attached to the panel rather than under the hood. The options I found that attached to the panels did not provide the temperature compensation and battery selection I wanted in my watt range.

I hope you guys have better luck than I did. Don't worry, I never give up.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Thanks for the mounting pics, did you tape the edges to keep air/water/gunk up under the edge and catching it, lifting it up?

John Shaffer

Nice for portable. Curious how you decided to go with a 30amp CC rather than a 20amp? Are you planning to expand beyond probably 240w or so? Also did you look at those flexible ABS 100w though they may be too big.

My viewstar Renogy 20amp has a max temp of about 90• C for temp but I mount mine in an enclosure on my camp trailer.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2008 Toyota 4Runner. Full time 12v mod, Rhino rack, Thule box, HIDs, front hitch, skid plates, Sliders, Aliner Classic 2014 camp trailer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94