My scratch built expedition style trailer build up thread

Rezarf <><

Explorer
the dude said:
that sounds like a really good plan. Just so you know, now that I have it in print, and I quoted it, I am going to be bugging you for that info ;)

I am really struggling with the build vs buy on this project. The AT is soooo close to what I want and I know that I couldn't build it for what they are asking for them. I also really enjoy building in the garage so a winter project would be nice. I own a CDM M101 and like the trailer, but after seeing this build, and Henry Cs conversion of his trailer, I think a scratch build is a better way to go.

Again, nice job and I look forward to your dos and don't list!!

Brad, I have gone back and forth on whether I would build or buy now, there is a real satisfaction of doing everything myself... even the mess-ups and quirks I can laugh off because I did it all myself.

If you have a 101, I would modify it for sure. I would go with AT's suspension or fab one up, add a lid, tailgate, RTT, water and some creature comforts and call it done.

Make no mistake I still built this on a budget, but it has taken nearly all my discretionary time for 9 months to build.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Curtis in Texas said:
Drew,
Thanks for the link to the build on the Mud Site under your sig.
I have been following your build and keep forgetting to book mark the Mud Site. Been going to page two to find the link everytime, just to keep up with the build. The dedicated Web Site will be a hit.
Great Job.

Looking forward to some action shots of it loaded and crawling.

I'm going to build one simular to yours using your outside deminsions next fall. Been collecting parts for some time now. The only difference is mine will be electric remote steerable with IFS suspension from a small Isuzu pickup. This will give it a really low center of gravity. And thinking of bagging it for suspension tuneablility. Oh and electric disc brakes!

I've really enjoyed following your build.

Curtis
The Gadget Master!

Sounds awesome! I would love to build an indy suspension in the future, funny, it seemed daunting just 9 months ago when I started, but now it seems within reach.

Make sure to start a thread when you get building.

Drew

Rezarf <><

Explorer
We are up and running now, trailer follows great, and has been a treat to drive around. Tent is mounted, decals are on, and we are camping in it this weekend for the first time! :D

Still to come: make the kitchen slide out with sink, stove, fridge. Mount up and plumb the new water heater, sink and shower, finish some little wiring, mount up my lock-n-roll and start getting it really dirty and scratched up! :D

Thanks for all the help and advice to get me this far!

Honu

lost on the mainland
cant wait to see your kitchen slide :)

also curious as to what you are going to use for the hot water ? and also the sink ? I am going to get going on mine when I get back from our trip
wanted it done before but no time :)

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Honu said:
cant wait to see your kitchen slide :)

also curious as to what you are going to use for the hot water ? and also the sink ? I am going to get going on mine when I get back from our trip
wanted it done before but no time :)

I am a craiglist/ebay junkie, all my kitchen stuff is used, I bought a deep bar sink off craiglist, I will use a coleman stove, a shurflo faucet/pump, and I may mount my ARB freezer fridge on the slide... I like having it on the trail with me so it might stay in the cruiser.

As for the water heater I am going to use one of Eccotemps portable water heaters... I will have a removeable mount on the front of the trailer and have it plumbed into the shower head and pump.

Hot and cold water, that is one of our lofty goals. :D

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I agree with you that having the fridge in the rig is ideal. Out of the last two trailers I have owned, the fridge has been kept in the rig. Nothing like setting up camp, going out on a trail ride and still having the spoiled luxury of a cold drink, food or something for the kid to snack on without having to go back to camp or mess with ice.

Once again your trailer looks great.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
24HOURSOFNEVADA said:
I agree with you that having the fridge in the rig is ideal. Out of the last two trailers I have owned, the fridge has been kept in the rig. Nothing like setting up camp, going out on a trail ride and still having the spoiled luxury of a cold drink, food or something for the kid to snack on without having to go back to camp or mess with ice.

Once again your trailer looks great.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Honu

lost on the mainland
any link to the eccotemp ?

I agree about a fridge in the rig :)
my conqueror will end up with a 60 or 80 combi unit in the trailer and my arb 45 in the rig :)

I might try instead of the bearing thing using some kind of poly or plastic material to have it slide on ?
lower profile lighter and cheaper :)

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I was able to save a few pics after our camera melt down :mad:

I had to photoshop the second one to show it off, my camera only wants to shoot the negative when it reads white.

We have been loving it this summer, this tent, though not HD like some of the others, does the job for room and comfort... and the price!

Having too much fun with it to keep modifying it, we will get back to projects like the slide out kitchen, cargo drawers, and side boxes this next winter when the snow sets in! :D

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Excellent job, Drew. Looks outstanding behind your nice 40.

Congratulations on the design, execution and follow-through.

Mike

Ramjet

Explorer
Just read the entire post. What a spectacular job, Drew. You craftsmanship is truly incredible. May your next journey take you to end of the earth and back.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Ramjet said:
Just read the entire post. What a spectacular job, Drew. You craftsmanship is truly incredible. May your next journey take you to end of the earth and back.

Thank you Ramjet, here is a pic from our last outting... over looking 134 Elk (some dude counted and told me that), a nice valley, and Longs Peak in the background with the seasons first snow on it.

The Rocky Mountain National Park is about an hour from my door to campsites! :D

I'll post up later, I can't seem to attach with the system right now.

the dude

Adventurer
Now that you have had it out a few times I would be interested in what you really like about it and what you would change for next time.

I have decided to take the plunge and make a copy of the AT Horizon, as I feel it will suit my needs the best. I bought the steel for the frame last week and I am in the design stages for the three main boxes. Just doing a costing on AL vs steel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94