My Solo Wanderings of the West

kennyj

Explorer
I took another day hike way up in to the hills.

The best part of that day’s hike were the amazing wildflowers. Open meadow areas were carpeted with bright colors.

More wildflower pics:

The hike took me from a valley below to a high pass even with the surrounding mountaintops.

Moving on from the Petrified Forest, I headed north up the Paradise Valley, along the Yellowstone River, toward Bozeman, Montana.

toymaster

Explorer
The reason I had wanted to drive this section of road is that for quite a few miles it follows the deep canyon cut by the Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone River. Unfortunately, I learned from a local that there are no public access views of the canyon. Nevertheless I tried to get close by driving back some of these side roads, but I only got distant glimpses of the canyon. I can imagine it would be a spectacular backcountry trip.
Yes there is. The person was not a local or just did not want you back there.

This is the view from the other side of the canyon.....

The mountain on the left is Bald mountain shot from Badger basin. The other side of it is Clark canyon. To get to Morrison jeep trail just go through Clark and down into the canyon and just keep going. Road 1AB off of WY 20.

gxceb0t

The next morning I drove down into Grand Teton National Park and to Jenny Lake campground. It's the most picturesque and also the most popular campground in the park, and when I got there by 8 am the last available sites were being taken. I continued to my second choice, Gros Ventre campground. It turned out to be a good choice as it was convenient for me to run in to Jackson, and it was probably a lot less hectic than Jenny Lake with new arrivals pursuing campsites at 6 or 7 am. Also, I appreciated that the loop I camped at Gros Ventre was, like Jenny Lake, a “no-generator” zone that was far away from the big RVs and diesel-pushers.
Any reason you didn't stay up on Shadow Mountain instead of Gros Ventre? It is right up your alley - free national forest camping with million dollar views. We stayed there last week and I can't imagine too many better spots to overnight than a free campsite looking straight at the grand tetons with no one around. Here is a pic from our site:

kennyj

Explorer
Yes there is. The person was not a local or just did not want you back there.
Wow! That looks pretty amazing. I wish I'd known about that earlier. I remember driving up 120/72 and seeing those roads heading off to the west and wondering what was at the other end. When I inquired there about accessing the canyon it was from the Chief Joseph side; it was my second visit down that road after which I was headed back to 212 and on to Cooke City. Someday I'll be back to drive the Beartooth on a clear day and I will definitely check out the Morrison trail.

kennyj

Explorer
Any reason you didn't stay up on Shadow Mountain instead of Gros Ventre? It is right up your alley - free national forest camping with million dollar views. We stayed there last week and I can't imagine too many better spots to overnight than a free campsite looking straight at the grand tetons with no one around. Here is a pic from our site:
Actually, there was a reason! The previous day I had spent the whole afternoon exploring those roads in the Bridger Teton forest, across the valley from the Tetons, and the mosquitos up there were so thick that I couldn't even stand to get out of the van. This has been a bad year for bugs anyway, but there the mosquitos were as bad as I have ever experienced. The only reason I can imagine them being so bad must have been because of all the un-mowed grassy areas. Fortunately, in the mowed campgrounds they weren't quite as bad. Maybe since I was there they have died down; that is a beautiful spot and it's great that you got to enjoy it.

Last edited:

gxceb0t

Actually, there was a reason! The previous day I had spent the whole afternoon exploring those roads in the Bridger Teton forest, across the valley from the Tetons, and the mosquitos up there were so thick that I couldn't even stand to get out of the van. This has been a bad year for bugs anyway, but there the mosquitos were as bad as I have ever experienced. The only reason I can imagine them being so bad must have been because of all the un-mowed grassy areas. Fortunately, in the mowed campgrounds they weren't quite as bad. Maybe since I was there they have died down; that is a beautiful spot and it's great that you got to enjoy it.
Well, there you go. I figured there must be a reason. Bugs are not so bad now, but there are still a few up there.

drfire

Great Adventures

Kenny,

Spent the last three days enjoying your wanderings. I work for the NPS and have had the pleasure of living and visiting most of the units you passed through. North Rim of the Grand Canyon should not be missed. Plenty of at large camping on the forest. I spent 7 years at Bryce Canyon NP, feel free to contact me if you want insights for that part of Utah.

Safe travels and adventures.
B

rlyoung112

I just signed up for this wondrous forum, and have enjoyed reading your journeys in the last few weeks during lunch at work.

Very impressive. Let's see the van's inside remodel too!

Your use of solar power and reading your viewpoints on larger campers/diesels/generators has at least opened my eyes to how annoying that probably is. You seem to have strong opinions on this stuff.

Looking forward to more updates.

kennyj

Explorer
Are you still in the Bozeman area?
Sorry, no, I've already moved on west out of Montana. I just haven't caught up with the updates.

Beautiful story and updates with very colorful pictures. I wish everyone had time to travel to all such beautiful places.
Thank you for the great compliment.

Well, there you go. I figured there must be a reason. Bugs are not so bad now, but there are still a few up there.
There were a number of places where the mosquitos were so bad i couldn't stay and camp. Another was up on the Beartooth Highway around Lily Lake. That was one of the reasons I headed back down the Chief Joseph road.