My Solo Wanderings of the West

fortel

Adventurer
Thanks for another great update on your adventures. Iceberg Lake looks like a very neat place to hang out. Continued safe travels to you.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I did some reading about that area a while back. I had it on the must do road trip list. I just dug it out and circled it with a big red marker. HA HA Thanks for sharing! Great photos! The fire season this year is really bad! I hope we get a big winter with lots of snow. So far all the noise about El Nino and it looking like 1997 is good news but its always a crap shoot.

Trailboss

Observer
Many thanks for the work it takes to keep your travels updated. I've had fun following your routes on mapping programs, too, so appreciate the routing information.

I've done dispersed camping in short spurts from the Olympic peninsula to north Alabama, and in June, I spent a week in the Smoky Mtns from SW VA to near Anniston, AL. I envy your van/cycle setup since I have to toss a cot and gear in the pickup shell just a couple of days before I leave. You have a very efficient setup. At 64, I find the cot is a lot more comfortable than the old thermarest pad and sleeping bag on the ground!

Like you, I enjoy traveling solo down roads less traveled, but after reading about the German tourists, and with the potential for accidents or injuries in the backcountry with no one around, I've been considering a satellite emergency beacon/communicator like the Spot PLB or Delorme In-Reach. I would hate to die from something minor only because no one knew I needed help.

Really enjoying the photos - what camera/lens are you using? Last year's photos were very nice, but it seems that more of them are spectacular this year than last. I may be imagining it, but either you have a better camera, or you're getting better with composition, focus and lighting.

Safe travels.

Last edited:
Kenny, did you get a chance to run into some of these critters during your time at Glacier?

[video=youtube;3O05nyS6hwQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2&v=3O05nyS6hwQ[/video]

kennyj

Explorer
Kenny, did you get a chance to run into some of these critters during your time at Glacier?
I was actually looking for Marmots this year, but I can't say if I actually spotted any. I did have a very strange encounter with an unusual large rodent which I have finally identified as a Bushy-tailed Packrat, or Woodrat. Not a "rodent of unusual size" ;), just kind of large.

That video reminds me of the video of a Grizzly eating a Go-Pro.

kennyj

Explorer
Many thanks for the work it takes to keep your travels updated. I've had fun following your routes on mapping programs, too, so appreciate the routing information.

I've done dispersed camping in short spurts from the Olympic peninsula to north Alabama, and in June, I spent a week in the Smoky Mtns from SW VA to near Anniston, AL. I envy your van/cycle setup since I have to toss a cot and gear in the pickup shell just a couple of days before I leave. You have a very efficient setup. At 64, I find the cot is a lot more comfortable than the old thermarest pad and sleeping bag on the ground!

Like you, I enjoy traveling solo down roads less traveled, but after reading about the German tourists, and with the potential for accidents or injuries in the backcountry with no one around, I've been considering a satellite emergency beacon/communicator like the Spot PLB or Delorme In-Reach. I would hate to die from something minor only because no one knew I needed help.
Thank you for the reply, Trailboss.

Really enjoying the photos - what camera/lens are you using? Last year's photos were very nice, but it seems that more of them are spectacular this year than last. I may be imagining it, but either you have a better camera, or you're getting better with composition, focus and lighting.

Safe travels.
Thank you for that! I would like to think that I continue to improve my photography skills, but you are correct, I am using a new camera this year. I got a Sony DSC RX-100, and it is an incredible little camera. I've already taken more than 3,000 exposures and feel like I'm just starting to learn to get the most from it. I was tempted by some of the non-dslr interchangeable lens cameras like the Sony Alpha 6000, but I decided again it was important to me that I stay with a camera that is most portable and can actually fit in a pocket. With the RX-100 I gave up some zoom capability but then I remembered that way, way back when I was shooting film with my Nikon FM, my absolute favorite lenses were a 28mm and a 105mm. That is just the range that the Sony does so I'm quite happy with it. The RX-100's big sensor and Zeiss optics are amazing for a pocket camera.

Time magazine names Sony RX100 digital camera "Best Invention of the Year”
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/11/02/time-magazine-names-sony-rx100-digital-camera-a-best-invention-of-the-year

Last edited:

kennyj

Explorer
Thanks for another great update.
Iceberg Lake...stunning!
Thanks for another great update on your adventures. Iceberg Lake looks like a very neat place to hang out. Continued safe travels to you.
Awesome, thanks for the updates.
... will go on my bucket list. Awesome blue.
Yet more amazing scenery - thanks again, kennyj! Be safe, and continue to savor this epic endeavor!
I did some reading about that area a while back. I had it on the must do road trip list. I just dug it out and circled it with a big red marker. HA HA Thanks for sharing! Great photos! The fire season this year is really bad! I hope we get a big winter with lots of snow. So far all the noise about El Nino and it looking like 1997 is good news but its always a crap shoot.
Just spent the last 3 days reading this whole thread. Thanks for sharing. subscribed!
What an amazing thread. I always stop by to see updates every now and then.

Keep it up.
Thanks so much to all of you. Yes, Glacier was one of the most amazing places I've seen and I know I will go back to see more, sometime in the future! To anyone traveling there, make the hike to Iceberg Lake, it's well worth it.

kennyj

Explorer
Finally leaving the Glacier area I backtracked west on route 2 to Columbia Falls for some supplies, then on to Kalispell. After a day of shopping there I continued west. My rough plan was to follow route 2 all the way to Newport, Washington, then continue across Washington on state route 20. I hated to be leaving the amazing scenery of the National Parks but I was ready to be away from the crowds and traffic; I enjoyed getting back to finding dispersed campsites in remote areas.

I spent a night outside of Libby, Montana, then stopped there at the ranger station where they suggested a visit to the falls on the Kootenai River.

The view of the Kootenai west of the falls.

A short hike later and the trail crossed the river on this swinging bridge.

Taking a detour off of route 2, I went to see the giant cedars at Ross Creek. I selected this picture with people to show the scale of the forest.

Along the cedars trail was this dry stream bed with a river of cairns.

People had assembled the rock piles in every possible spot along that stream; it was a very strange sight. All that handiwork will get washed away with next year's snowmelt.

After the cedars, I went exploring some logging roads and found a camp at the end of a road, high up a mountain.