My (soon to be 4x4) Red Cross ERV Build and Adventures

Rebuilder

Builder of Things That Interest Me
No big updates on the ERV but I got moved into my new shop space :D. The plan for the winter is to get the trans out of the ERV and rebuilt with the transfer case adapter and then finish up the rest of the 4x4 conversion. I've got around 200 miles on it as is and I'm really happy with the way it drives so I'm really excited to get it finished up so I can go test it off road. I've also got an Express in the shop for an interior build so I'll be jumping back and forth between the two projects for the next month or two.

KIMG1630.JPG

motofreak0592

What did you have to do to the trans? It was my understanding that the E450s come installed with a 4x4 trans in order to use the driveline parking brake.

Rebuilder

What did you have to do to the trans? It was my understanding that the E450s come installed with a 4x4 trans in order to use the driveline parking brake.
Seriously? Well that would be awesome. I hadn't heard that but I'll definitely look into it.

EDIT..... Yup the 4x4 adaptor is on there. I knew the parking brake was there but it never occurred to me that's how it was attached. Now since I clearly haven't researched that part of the conversion, what are people doing for a parking brake when they remove the stock one?

Last edited:

motofreak0592

Seriously? Well that would be awesome. I hadn't heard that but I'll definitely look into it.

EDIT..... Yup the 4x4 adaptor is on there. I knew the parking brake was there but it never occurred to me that's how it was attached. Now since I clearly haven't researched that part of the conversion, what are people doing for a parking brake when they remove the stock one?
When I've asked, the general consensus was to install a linelock which essentially holds the brake pressure to the brakes. I havent heard of anyone having issues with it but I'm convinced theres a better way. 2009-2014 E450s have a "drum in hat" style parking brake and I've been playing with the idea of retrofitting the 09-14 backing plate on my axle and adding the parking brake components there. Im not sure if that is even feasible but I may buy a backing plate and see.

joeblack5

Impressive work.
We use a small e350 school bus set up for 2 adults , two kids and two dogs.. replacing the driver seat with a swivel out of a GMC conversion van created more living space..I was surprised that it even cleared my transfer case lever.
Can not judge how much work it would have been to lift the aluminum floor from your pictures but putting the radiant heating under that, would have been a nice spreader.

Like your shower area in the back, going to implement that on our unimog 404 with bus body projects.

Johan

dtruzinski

Explorer
When I've asked, the general consensus was to install a linelock which essentially holds the brake pressure to the brakes. I havent heard of anyone having issues with it but I'm convinced theres a better way. 2009-2014 E450s have a "drum in hat" style parking brake and I've been playing with the idea of retrofitting the 09-14 backing plate on my axle and adding the parking brake components there. Im not sure if that is even feasible but I may buy a backing plate and see.
I have hired U-Joint to do my 4x4 conversion and Line-Loc was their recommended solution. Years ago (more accurately, a few decades ago), I had a CJ2A that had a line lock type p-brake. It was awesome, especially when you stalled out on a hill climb and needed to restart...flip the switch, tap the brake...viola both feet available for gas and clutch. I will never, famous last words, get my Ambo in a situation like that, but then again, it has an automatic transmission. Bottom line...line locks have been around for a long time and work well.

Rebuilder

Not technically 4x4 yet but it sure is fun in the snow :D

KIMG1784.JPG

I'm finishing up the Chevy Express this week so I'll be back on the ERV next week to finish the 4x4 and eventually everything else. I've got 800ah of lithium batteries, 12 volt air conditioning, more solar and a bunch of other fun stuff to install inside. Still trying to decide if I'll paint or wrap the outside. Leaning toward wrapping it since it's winter and I can do it myself....