My 4x4 Red Cross ERV Build and Adventures

Rebuilder

Builder of Things That Interest Me
No big updates on the ERV but I got moved into my new shop space :D. The plan for the winter is to get the trans out of the ERV and rebuilt with the transfer case adapter and then finish up the rest of the 4x4 conversion. I've got around 200 miles on it as is and I'm really happy with the way it drives so I'm really excited to get it finished up so I can go test it off road. I've also got an Express in the shop for an interior build so I'll be jumping back and forth between the two projects for the next month or two.

KIMG1630.JPG

What did you have to do to the trans? It was my understanding that the E450s come installed with a 4x4 trans in order to use the driveline parking brake.

Rebuilder

What did you have to do to the trans? It was my understanding that the E450s come installed with a 4x4 trans in order to use the driveline parking brake.

Seriously? Well that would be awesome. I hadn't heard that but I'll definitely look into it.

EDIT..... Yup the 4x4 adaptor is on there. I knew the parking brake was there but it never occurred to me that's how it was attached. Now since I clearly haven't researched that part of the conversion, what are people doing for a parking brake when they remove the stock one?

Last edited:
Seriously? Well that would be awesome. I hadn't heard that but I'll definitely look into it.

EDIT..... Yup the 4x4 adaptor is on there. I knew the parking brake was there but it never occurred to me that's how it was attached. Now since I clearly haven't researched that part of the conversion, what are people doing for a parking brake when they remove the stock one?
When I've asked, the general consensus was to install a linelock which essentially holds the brake pressure to the brakes. I havent heard of anyone having issues with it but I'm convinced theres a better way. 2009-2014 E450s have a "drum in hat" style parking brake and I've been playing with the idea of retrofitting the 09-14 backing plate on my axle and adding the parking brake components there. Im not sure if that is even feasible but I may buy a backing plate and see.

joeblack5

Impressive work.
We use a small e350 school bus set up for 2 adults , two kids and two dogs.. replacing the driver seat with a swivel out of a GMC conversion van created more living space..I was surprised that it even cleared my transfer case lever.
Can not judge how much work it would have been to lift the aluminum floor from your pictures but putting the radiant heating under that, would have been a nice spreader.

Like your shower area in the back, going to implement that on our unimog 404 with bus body projects.

Johan

dtruzinski

Explorer
When I've asked, the general consensus was to install a linelock which essentially holds the brake pressure to the brakes. I havent heard of anyone having issues with it but I'm convinced theres a better way. 2009-2014 E450s have a "drum in hat" style parking brake and I've been playing with the idea of retrofitting the 09-14 backing plate on my axle and adding the parking brake components there. Im not sure if that is even feasible but I may buy a backing plate and see.
I have hired U-Joint to do my 4x4 conversion and Line-Loc was their recommended solution. Years ago (more accurately, a few decades ago), I had a CJ2A that had a line lock type p-brake. It was awesome, especially when you stalled out on a hill climb and needed to restart...flip the switch, tap the brake...viola both feet available for gas and clutch. I will never, famous last words, get my Ambo in a situation like that, but then again, it has an automatic transmission. Bottom line...line locks have been around for a long time and work well.

Rebuilder

Not technically 4x4 yet but it sure is fun in the snow :D

KIMG1784.JPG

I'm finishing up the Chevy Express this week so I'll be back on the ERV next week to finish the 4x4 and eventually everything else. I've got 800ah of lithium batteries, 12 volt air conditioning, more solar and a bunch of other fun stuff to install inside. Still trying to decide if I'll paint or wrap the outside. Leaning toward wrapping it since it's winter and I can do it myself....

Rebuilder

OK back to work on the ERV. Still not sure if I'll paint it or wrap it but either way I need to remove a bunch of stuff to prepare. I removed the middle side window so I'll have to do some body work to fill that in and I just ordered a bigger rear side window so I'll need to get that installed when it shows up. Other than that it's basically just clean things up and prep for either a wrap or paint. Leaning towards wrap at the moment.

KIMG1876.JPG

KIMG1872.JPG

KIMG1873.JPG

KIMG1879.JPG

KIMG1874.JPG

On the inside I'm working on simplifying the wiring and replacing my 400ah GEL batteries with 800ah Lithium.

KIMG1915.JPG

I got two of these 400ah EG4 batteries from Signature Solar. They seem to get good reviews and they're basically half the price of the equivalent amount of higher end lithium batteries.

KIMG1918.JPG

Part of the reason for so much battery is I picked up this 12v A/C unit off AliExpress. There seems to be a lot of questions about 12v A/C but not a lot of answers so I wanted to get one to test out. It's winter so not really the best time to test but I did get it installed and charged up and it seems to be working great. It pulls between 40 and 60 amps depending on the setting.

KIMG1920.JPG

The compressor and condenser unit are mount between the frame rails.

KIMG1932.JPG

KIMG1941.JPG

Also on the to do list is finish up the interior cabinets and build a new dinette area to replace the couch thing I had in there before.

Rebuilder

That a/c is ambitious! But with that much battery bank, it might be doable. How many watts of solar are you going to run?

Currently 400 watts but I'll probably go to 800 since that's what my controller can handle. I also have a 60amp DC-DC charger so that'll help since I tend to drive a lot during the day. At the very least I expect this thing to work for a good part of the night because I hate sleeping in the heat. In "Sleep" mode it pulls around 40 amps and I'm hoping I have enough insulation so the unit will cycle so it won't be a continuous draw.

Rebuilder

I've got some catching up to do...

After I got the AC installed I moved on to installing a bigger rear side window. I hated the slider one I had so I looked around and found this dual pane window with built in shade and screen on Ebay. It's the same width but taller. I don't understand why this type of window isn't more readily available in the U.S.

Here's the original ERV opening....

KIMG1970.JPG

KIMG1971.JPG

Here it is cut out and mockup of the new window....

KIMG1973.JPG

KIMG1974.JPG

Unfortunately the window isn't made for 1.5" thick walls so I had to make a custom jamb out of PVC trim from Home Depot. It bends pretty easily with heat.

KIMG2009.JPG

KIMG2010.JPG

KIMG2012.JPG

The inner screen/shade frame worked out great because it didn't protrude past the bed lift rails.... if it had then the bed frame would have hit it as it went up.

KIMG2015.JPG

Not a great pic but you get the idea...
KIMG2016.JPG

I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I absolutely love the built in screen and blackout shade.

Attachments

• KIMG1972.JPG
    KIMG1972.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 15

Rebuilder

Next up after installing the new window was to finish "deleting" the other stock window. I've had it temporarily covered for a while but I had to finish it up before I started the vinyl wrap. I should have done this before finishing the inside wall but I didn't so here we are.

Here's the insert. It's .100" thick aluminum which is just slightly thinner than the ERV sides.
KIMG2023.JPG

The existing filler pieces is VHB taped to the inside so I just left that in place and stripped the paint to weld in the new insert....
KIMG2024.JPG

Here's the insert tacked in place. Not shown but I pretty much fully welded around the edge before sanding it smooth and applying body filler.

KIMG2025.JPG

First layer was short strand fiberglass body filler and then a final coat of Bondo to smooth it all out. Turned out pretty good but I guess I'll know for sure after I cover it in vinyl.

KIMG2027.JPG

KIMG2028.JPG

KIMG2029.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles