My 4x4 Red Cross ERV Build and Adventures

Rebuilder

Builder of Things That Interest Me
Couple misc things....

Picked up a new 13' electric awning to replace the 8.5' ARB I had on the drivers side. It's technically not made for a vehicle but It seems to be pretty well made so I don't see why it won't work. I'll install it after the wrap.

KIMG2031.JPG

Also installed power windows and door locks. I used stock replacement regulators with universal switches and so far in testing they work great. The remote locks are also just a universal kit (not shown) but work great in testing.

KIMG2039.JPG

Here are the regulator part numbers.
KIMG2040.JPGKIMG2041.JPG

And the switches I used...
Capture.JPG

Rebuilder

I was debating whether to paint it or wrap it and I decided to wrap it. I've painted a few vehicles but my shop just isn't set up to paint something this big. I wrapped my F350 in this same color and really liked it so that's what I went with. If anyone is interested it's KPMF Satin Stealth Tundra vinyl.

KIMG2032.JPGKIMG2034.JPGKIMG2037.JPG

Right about here is where I ran out of vinyl. I was using what I had left over from my F350 and when I ordered more I found out it's on back order from the supplier I got it from but I think I can get it from another place.... will find out tomorrow.
KIMG2055.JPG

Rebuilder

I like the power windows and door locks.

It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Everything bolted right in except the window switches. I could have gotten power window door panels and used the factory switches but I didn't think it was totally necessary. If I see a pair from a newer van I'll probably pick them up though. The door storage compartments would be nice to have.

Rebuilder

The latest thing I did while waiting for the wrap vinyl to come in is added a Chinese diesel heater as a backup to my hydronic system. I figured I had the heater already and found a nice place to put it so why not. One thing I don't like about the hydronic heater I have is the max run time is 7hrs so I figure the air heater will kick in from the time the hydronic heater turns off until I turn it back on.... or maybe I'll just run the air heater all the time and use the hydronic heater to heat up my potable hot water. Options and redundancy are good I guess.

KIMG2052.JPGKIMG2054.JPGKIMG2056.JPG

Wow my pics suck... I should look into that.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
7hrs and then it just shuts off? That's unfortunate. My Eberspacher hydronic unit has an infinite setting on the controller so it's always running automatically. Maybe you can change your controller for you Chinesium unit?

Rebuilder

7hrs and then it just shuts off? That's unfortunate. My Eberspacher hydronic unit has an infinite setting on the controller so it's always running automatically. Maybe you can change your controller for you Chinesium unit?

I've looked into switching controllers but haven't found the answers I need to pick the right controller or if it'll even work. My heater is basically and exact copy of a Eberspacher HYDRONIC M-II so I'm sure it's possible. Which controller do you have?

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
I'm running the Easystart Pro controller for the hydronic heater. I have a separate thermostat wired to the fan on the heat exchanger to control the air temperature. No idea what is compatible with the Chinese stuff.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Next up after installing the new window was to finish "deleting" the other stock window. I've had it temporarily covered for a while but I had to finish it up before I started the vinyl wrap. I should have done this before finishing the inside wall but I didn't so here we are.

Here's the insert. It's .100" thick aluminum which is just slightly thinner than the ERV sides.
View attachment 713582

The existing filler pieces is VHB taped to the inside so I just left that in place and stripped the paint to weld in the new insert....
View attachment 713584

Here's the insert tacked in place. Not shown but I pretty much fully welded around the edge before sanding it smooth and applying body filler.

View attachment 713585

First layer was short strand fiberglass body filler and then a final coat of Bondo to smooth it all out. Turned out pretty good but I guess I'll know for sure after I cover it in vinyl.

View attachment 713586

View attachment 713587

View attachment 713588

my experience is that vinyl wrap will magnify any imperfections in your work. I made the mistake of thinking it’ll hide sanding marks… not with a gloss warp (at least).

Rebuilder

my experience is that vinyl wrap will magnify any imperfections in your work. I made the mistake of thinking it’ll hide sanding marks… not with a gloss warp (at least).

Yeah it's pretty much the same as paint in that respect. Satin is a little more forgiving than gloss though.

I got most of the wrap finished up this week. I still have one section on the driver's side and the rear doors to do. It's a lot of brown so I may put some graphics on the sides... I want to see it outside before I decide though.
KIMG2074.JPGKIMG2075.JPGKIMG2077.JPG

Rebuilder

I've got some catching up to do.....

I got the wrap done and it turned out pretty good. Turns out the Red Cross paint job probably went to the lowest bidder so it was pretty bad in spots and as @Bikersmurf mentioned above the wrap basically magnifies the issues. I wasn't going to sand the whole thing so I'll just say overall I'm happy with it.

Moving on to reassembly. I replaced all the accent lights with sealed LEDs and reused the covers which worked out great.

KIMG2078.JPG KIMG2080.JPG KIMG2086.JPG KIMG2087.JPG KIMG2089.JPG

Replaced the flood lights with LEDs.... also (y)
KIMG2096.JPG KIMG2094.JPG KIMG2097.JPG KIMG2098.JPG KIMG2095.JPG

Rebuilder

Couple random things on the inside... I refinished the countertop and added a heating loop under the water tank to help prevent freezing in the winter. I had the water tank out and was hooking up a radiator anyway so I figured I might was well just add this just in case...

KIMG2060.JPG KIMG2061.JPG KIMG2063.JPG KIMG2065.JPG KIMG2066.JPG

Couple random things on the outside.... New LED headlights, new turn signals, new windshield and new door handles. The power windows and locks are working great

KIMG2100.JPG KIMG2103.JPG KIMG2104.JPG KIMG2102.JPG

Rebuilder

...and new flares....

KIMG2169.JPG KIMG2171.JPG KIMG2184.JPG

More pics of the LED flood lights and a pic of the new insulated rear side window...

KIMG2197.JPG KIMG2198.JPG

I found some paneling for the rear doors that matches pretty well so I went with it. I ended up covering 3 of the 4 windows because they weren't really needed.
KIMG2187.JPG

Here's the back pretty much done. All LED lights and 2 cameras. One pointing down at the platform so I can keep an eye on the motorcycle and one facing back for a full rear view. I also raised up the rear platform to just below the license plate to get a little more ground clearance.
KIMG2188.JPG KIMG2189.JPG

Rebuilder

This is about as far as I've gotten with the winch bumper. I'm starting with a winch "Tray" made for some truck and plan to modify the mounting points and then add an aluminum tube/skin over or around it. I'm still working it out in my head and hope to get back to it soon....

KIMG2195.JPG

I got the awning installed. It's a Aleko 13' wide x 10' extension self supporting awning with electric extend and retract and LEDs. It's technically for a house but I modified the brackets to fit a little tighter to the camper and will probably reinforce a few things but I don't see any reason it won't hold up..... aside from scraping it off on a tree or something :oops:.

KIMG2201.JPG KIMG2202.JPG KIMG2206.JPG KIMG2209.JPG

If you've got a minute to spare here's a video....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz