My trailer Build

Dirtytires

Explorer
I started off by purchasing this ugly little thing from GL For A whopping 150 bucks.

The first thing I had to do was clean this ugly ducking up. I power washed her. Power washing was almost a yucky thing to do., All the old cheap paint flaked of. So now I have orange peel. Problem was solved by stripping it down and sanding for three days. I sprayed it with two coats of primer, then sanded and sprayed the tan paint.

I then out some new tires and rims on the trailer! I looked decent ( The hoa is happy now). I did not spend that much time restoring the bows or the racks,since they will be customized at a later point in the build.

Interior :
Floor was scraped , then primed, and painted. I used Rustoleum flat brown for the inside. After all ,I think the darker the color is in the inside would be of benefit during the hours of sleep.

First element needed would be H2O. I have purchased a 16 gallon water tank . I plan to place it in the front of the trailer. My initial desire was to place it under the trailer in front of the axle. Upon further second guessing myself and thinking out-loud, I decided to place the water tank in the front (inside) of the 101.

I will be placing a counter and storage center in the front that will include the sink and all. Now I just need the rain to stop so I can play and work on it. I don't have a shed or garage.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    963.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 55

Dirtytires

Explorer
Here are a few More pictures.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    995.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 26

Dirtytires

Explorer
Here is a picture from Hurricane Irene. All I needed was bar of Irish Spring soap.:088:

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 38

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I thought you would have gone RED to match the truck?
Looks good so far, post some pictures of your water tank.
Are you keeping the original wheels and axle? or matching the truck?
Love the military builds! Keep us posted.
Mark

Dirtytires

Explorer
Red is nice . I thought about laying a red camo job on it.
I am keeping the original wheels and axles , I like the height and the roughness.
I have the tank for the water setup. I am waiting for the hoses and fill attachment.
Maybe tomorrow I will make the bracing for the tank..

Attachments

• 2906073146436464_1.jpg
    2906073146436464_1.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 992
  • LVwatertank_hosekit2.gif
    LVwatertank_hosekit2.gif
    126.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 51

koolex11

Observer
Looks pretty good Kreg. Hard to believe it's the same trailer! Are you going to put a tongue jack on the front? That water tank up front is going to add some weight. I am finding the most difficult thing to plan is keeping the center of gravity in balance after everything is installed. I would love to keep the tongue weight about 200 lbs so I can throw last minute items and firewood in the back door to balance it out...

Dirtytires

Explorer
I am going to get an electric jack for the tongue.The water , I would like to put it under the cargo box, In front of the axle. It will add 184 lbs to the trailer weight. I will more than likely keep it inside the front of the trailer for now. I have a truck that I can use to throw last minute goodies and kids..I am going to rebuild the bows of the trailer in order to have 8 more inches of height. I will then change the cover to a duck cotton cover, much lighter.

Dirtytires

Explorer
Didn't do much work on the trailer this weekend, Spent a lot of time with the family and all. I did pick up a few little gadgets here and there. I picked up these storage boxes from a friend. Water tight and great for tools and such. I spent a little eve time doing some research here. I really love this place.. Installed a few flashlight holders by the rear of trailer. easy to grab when exiting in the dark.Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Kreg

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 50
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    1,006.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    976.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 34

Dirtytires

Explorer
Cut a large hole in the trailer today! The hole is for the water fill attachment.
I have to decide weather I want just a manual pump faucet, or if I want to use a pump system.
The decisions in life are great. The tape is covering the hole so my kids or others don't cut fingers!
I also had to do some body work. I drilled 3/4 inch holes in all 4 corners to help with draining.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 19

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Looks like you got some good help there. You'll make some great memories for the kids with this kind of project. My kids still talk about the camping and four wheeling trips we did and that was 30 years ago! Doing good

Dirtytires

Explorer
SD, that is kind of the intent of building it. Need to get away from TV, games,and the burbs, once in a while and explore the huge world that the good lord gave us. We are active with the cub-scouts, but they lately have turned the organization completely on it's butt. Not like it use to be..Bunch of pansy a@@ ,whinny kids now days..

Dirtytires

Explorer
I guess U should get my rear back in gear and get the water system hooked up, I got distracted by trying to repair another A2 .

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
"We are active with the cub-scouts, but they lately have turned the organization completely on it's butt. Not like it use to be..Bunch of pansy a@@ ,whinny kids now days."

Amen!
I made my Eagle scout rank at 18 went off to college, I came back to see the old troop and it was full of the mentioned above.
Last night I took my younger daughter to a Girl Scout sign up meeting.......Mass chaos.....and no organization.

The leaders stated they needed a troop for first graders, I may do it, but I know I will step on too many parents feet.
I am old school on service, outdoors, respect for all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier