My Trailer

dwatsonkc

Stilwell, KS
First Road Trip!

I just got back after about a 600 mile trip. Fished North Fork River in Missouri, White river in Arkansas, and then Crane Creek in Missouri on my way home. The trailer pulled great. I picked up a canopy for $15 on fleabay that worked great.

Attachments

• IMGP1014.jpg
    IMGP1014.jpg
    735.2 KB · Views: 286

dwatsonkc

Stilwell, KS
New Axle

OK, I just got my trailer back from the shop. I think it's too tall. I was in a rush to get it done and the trailer shop had some wheels and tires in stock so I had them installed. They ripped all the old axle/springs off. Installed a 3500lb axle with electric brakes, rewired the electrical, new springs, wheels and tires. I can't decide if the tires are just too small or the trailer is just too high now.

Should I have them put the axle on top of the springs? It would lower it about 4" or just buy huge tires and raise it even more?

Attachments

• P6080568.jpg
    P6080568.jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 234

AlexJet

Explorer
OK, I just got my trailer back from the shop. I think it's too tall. I was in a rush to get it done and the trailer shop had some wheels and tires in stock so I had them installed. They ripped all the old axle/springs off. Installed a 3500lb axle with electric brakes, rewired the electrical, new springs, wheels and tires. I can't decide if the tires are just too small or the trailer is just too high now.

Should I have them put the axle on top of the springs? It would lower it about 4" or just buy huge tires and raise it even more?

What size are the tires? It looks fine to me, may be upsize the tires to the same size as you FJ (265/70-R17 or 32").
I build my trailer and put it on 35s, same tires/rims as my 4Runner.

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
I like the angle like it is in the picture. Better departure angles for some off roading.
But, I would be inclined to raise the hitch a bit before I'd lower the trailer for level. Get one of those adjustable recuever hitches to put it where you want it.
Having the springs on the bottom is ideal is you can live with it for back roads.

Course if I was loading up a motorcycle I'd want it more level.

I like the trailer, it looks right with those wheels. I hope they fit your Toy too! Makes for some NICE extra spares.

Oh wait, I just looked at the picture again.
Try flipping your reciever over putting the ball back upright. That should level out the trailer cheap.

Don't know why I didn't see that before.

Hafwit

Adventurer
Your angle isn't far off, so unless it sways too much, it shouldn't matter. Having the right weight distribution on the trailer at the front vs the rear over the axle can make a significant difference too. If you want it to be completely level, flipping the ball mount up rather than down should do the trick. It also might depend on how much weight you typically load both in the tow vehicle and the trailer as the heights of each will vary with load.

BTW, where's the Burkheimer?

Cheers,
Greg

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I like the look of the wheels. I think I would do a SUA, and the reasoning behind that is, will it be lower than the lower point on the FJC? If your not going into extreme off roading, why have it raised that high? It will handle better and be safer to tow as a spring under. You should always tow as level as possible, and try to always follow the alloted 10-15% tongue weight rule...most times I go as far as 20%.

The builds coming along great..great progress.

good luck, Pat

dwatsonkc

Stilwell, KS
Axle Over Spring

I made a decision to have the trailer lowered. I don't ever plan to be off road. Most of the miles will be highway and gravel roads. Also, I was concerned about it becoming top heavy when the top is loaded with supplies. The trailer shop left the old brackets on so It would be really easy to flip in the future. I think it looks much better for my use.

Attachments

• P6130598.jpg
    P6130598.jpg
    958.5 KB · Views: 172
  • P6130597.jpg
    P6130597.jpg
    834.4 KB · Views: 199

dwatsonkc

Stilwell, KS
Awning Bracket

I made a bracket to hold my awning. It gives me more head room next to the trailer. I think it cost me about $ 8.00 total. I just used steel pipe, PVC fittings and cheap brackets, and a cotter pin. I just need to paint them black now. It is easily removed just pulling up and unscrewing the crossbar.

Attachments

• P6130602.jpg
    P6130602.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 99
  • P6130603.jpg
    P6130603.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

dwatsonkc

Stilwell, KS
Awning Pic

Here it is all put together. It's turning into a tailgating trailer also. I just ordered a charcoal grill that will be attached to the trailer....

Attachments

• P6130604.jpg
    P6130604.jpg
    734.6 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

Red Zebra

Adventurer
......Notice the bottle opener right next to the cooler and mounted on the cooler. Strategic placement!.....

Most excellent build on the trailer!

Just like the Kohler faucet commercial where the couple sits down with an architect, pulls a faucet out of bag, puts it in front of the architect and say "We want you to build a house around this..."

It's exactly what an engineer would come up with if you went to him with the bottle opener and said, "Build me a trailer around this...."

....:coffee:

Last edited:

dwatsonkc

Stilwell, KS
1st family camping trip

Loaded up all the gear and went on a camping/fishing trip to Bennett Spring, MO. Weather was great. My 14 month old did pretty well. 2nd pic is why I camp. Fishing....

Heading to Colorado / Wyoming for 8 days next week.

Attachments

• P7020725.jpg
    P7020725.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 155
  • P7020720.jpg
    P7020720.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 92

dwatsonkc

Stilwell, KS
Sorry for the Cell phone pics. I have added a few things.

1- Camping Lab Awning
2- Camping Lab Med Tent
3- Snow Peak IGT kitchen
4- A bunch of Stickers from Colorado/Wyoming for my fall fishing trip with the trailer
5- Lights on my FJ so I can see

My trailer is getting heavy. I've put about 6,000 miles on it so far. 3 trips to Colorado, 4 trips to Arkansas, 2 trips to Wyoming.

Attachments

• photo[1]2.JPG
    photo[1]2.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 112
  • photo[1]3.JPG
    photo[1]3.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 132
  • photo[1].JPG
    photo[1].JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Forum statistics