My ultimate camper combo - HZJ79 + Tischer 230

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
So assuming that money was no object, this would be one of my top choices for the next journey:

medium.jpg

I first met a couple traveling with this combination in Australia about 5 years ago.

after much research, I found out about this company in Germany:

http://www.tischer.ch/Home.html

Here is a video of the 230 which fits perfectly in a back of a small pickup and weight only 611 kilo.

Here a few more video from this company -quite impressive I think.

Last edited:

zeroland

Adventurer
Love it. I recently bought a demountable camper with a Ford Ranger double cab. Read more here: Overland Live Blog

I am not sure I would like to do the tricks he does with his camper but I can confirm that a few mods on the suspension will allow the unit to be thrown about like that.
I am now thinking of a LR 130 but am concerned that the narrow wheelbase might make the vehicle lean a lot in cornering. The Ford Ranger has a slightly wider wheelbase plus spaces.

leisure+camper+ec7.jpg

T.Low

Expedition Leader
That seems like a lot of space for the given footprint. I like the fold down sink and all the headroom in the bunk.

Christian, would that unit have served you well on the Africa journey or would it have been too big for (tall?) for certain parts.

Could you expound a little on what leads you to prefer a more space after your Africa journey, or link to something where you may already have explained it?

Thanks.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
That seems like a lot of space for the given footprint. I like the fold down sink and all the headroom in the bunk.

Christian, would that unit have served you well on the Africa journey or would it have been too big for (tall?) for certain parts.

Could you expound a little on what leads you to prefer a more space after your Africa journey, or link to something where you may already have explained it?

Thanks.

T.Low,

Sorry for the delay in my response...

After the 9 months on the road, there are 2 requirements that I really want to meet -> more power and a permanent bed. And my gf really insists on a proper toilet for emergency.

As you know there are no perfect solution. For Africa only, a roof top tent is sufficient most of the time. But for our next journey, we want to drive up to Alaska/Canada, then down to South America, then again Africa and finally Europe. So I expect a much greater range of temperature. A roof top tent does not work well in a rainy season or in winter...

Also we intend to do some work on the road so an actual living space inside is important. We also like to spend time around town and it's not easy to sleep in a roof top tent in the middle of the city...

The biggest problem I see with this combo is the height. I am also going to loose a bit of "offroading" capability. On the other hand, I hope that I will be able to just drop the camper and use the pick-up only when we are somewhere for several days.

We have looked a lot at the various pop-up campers on the market (including Marc's excellent XP) but we feel like we want a hard-side camper so we can walk in anytime, for lunch, nap, surfing, video processing, etc, whatever we need to do on the road.

So for in North America, the best truck camper I have found would be the BigFoot 1500. There is only really one problem, it's about 3 inch too wide to fit in a container.

As I said, if money wasn't a problem and the logistics possible, my first choice would be a new HJZ79 with the V8 and this Tisher camper, or the Azalai integrated camper.

Toyota%20Land-Cruiser%20HZJ79-1_24_8_2008_5_39_l.jpg

+ Tisher Trail

tischer-trail-4x4.jpg

tischer-taveirne.jpg

The Hilux is another option I am contemplating too:

yw-DSC-25.jpg

Azalai:

exterior-toy-4.jpg

action-4.jpg

GlobalMonkey

Adventurer
T.Low,

Sorry for the delay in my response...

After the 9 months on the road, there are 2 requirements that I really want to meet -> more power and a permanent bed. And my gf really insists on a proper toilet for emergency.

As you know there are no perfect solution. For Africa only, a roof top tent is sufficient most of the time. But for our next journey, we want to drive up to Alaska/Canada, then down to South America, then again Africa and finally Europe. So I expect a much greater range of temperature. A roof top tent does not work well in a rainy season or in winter...

Also we intend to do some work on the road so an actual living space inside is important. We also like to spend time around town and it's not easy to sleep in a roof top tent in the middle of the city...

The biggest problem I see with this combo is the height. I am also going to loose a bit of "offroading" capability. On the other hand, I hope that I will be able to just drop the camper and use the pick-up only when we are somewhere for several days.

We have looked a lot at the various pop-up campers on the market (including Marc's excellent XP) but we feel like we want a hard-side camper so we can walk in anytime, for lunch, nap, surfing, video processing, etc, whatever we need to do on the road.

So for in North America, the best truck camper I have found would be the BigFoot 1500. There is only really one problem, it's about 3 inch too wide to fit in a container.

As I said, if money wasn't a problem and the logistics possible, my first choice would be a new HJZ79 with the V8 and this Tisher camper, or the Azalai integrated camper.

Toyota%20Land-Cruiser%20HZJ79-1_24_8_2008_5_39_l.jpg

+ Tisher Trail

tischer-trail-4x4.jpg

tischer-taveirne.jpg

The Hilux is another option I am contemplating too:

yw-DSC-25.jpg

Azalai:

exterior-toy-4.jpg

action-4.jpg

Would the Tisher camper fit in a container?
Tomas

ColinTheCop

Adventurer
I had a look around a Land Rover with the Azalia conversion at a show recently.

The quality and the finish is superb.

Although it's a very expensive conversion apparently. :Wow1:

I am with Christian on a couple of his thoughts. We have been living out of our FJ60 for almost a year now, and the main thing I would like to have is an "inside" living area with permanent bed. The RTT and awnings are great, but nothing beats an inside area...

A 79 series Landcruiser with a camper and a pass through (to avoid "leaving" the truck to get to your "house") Would be our dream choice, but we love our FJ60. I would stick to diesel, I can handle being passed on mountain passes :) An Azalai or one of the German counterparts would be ideal for us, but insanely out of our price range :(, and we love our FJ 60...

Notice the love-hate relationship I am experiencing with our rig at the moment? It is only due to the rainy season in Central America. It truly is an awesome rig and very near perfect, there will always be compromises.

Last edited:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
I bet you could find a fabricator in CA that could build onto the back of your FJ60, doing something very similar to what they are doing currently in Germany (just one example (ask me, I have many more) : http://www.custom-campers.de/cms/in...ent&task=category&sectionid=5&id=14&Itemid=27 ) - it looks to me as though most of the exoskeleton is done in alloy and set up to hold composite panels. It should be quite feasible to do here in the states. Also, it might be possible to do a hard-side pop-up so that soft-sides could be avoided for less-than-arid areas... Say, have a foot and a half rise above the roof line that goes up another foot and a half. That way, access is always available to the rear, driving height is kept to a somewhat minimum (allowing stooping-height in the back and stealth-camping when needed), but full, comfortable standing height is available when stopped. Finally, the "squaring off" the sides that this set up will have would allow for more interior layout options...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste