My ultimate camper combo - HZJ79 + Tischer 230

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
That's a very good question.
As it is a demountable camper, maybe if it were too tall on the truck, it could be removed and slid somehow into the container, with the truck following behind ?

Yes, that is exactly the idea. It's easy to do just using a plate with 4 rollers/bearings under it.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Ah, hah ! Guessed right :D

Now, the next question : is it possible to carry along the "plate with 4 rollers/bearings under it," after leaving from the container, so that the return trip can be made ?

BTW, I think Northern Lite makes smaller size, fiberglass campers ( http://www.northern-lite.com/lite185q.html ) that are built like a boat hull and they also offer Seitz acrylic windows... perhaps an alternative to the Tischer ?

Yes, that is exactly the idea. It's easy to do just using a plate with 4 rollers/bearings under it.

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
The 'plate' could be permanently attached to the bottom of the camper, assuming that the bottom of the camper isn't heavy enough already. Maybe just a layer of exterior grade plywood screwed on so that it would be easily replaceable. It would raise the camper by 1/2" or whatever, but that shouldn't be a problem.

And the rollers/bearings could be just simple pipe sections, either carried along or sourced locally. We moved a lot of stuff with pipe 'rollers' back on the farm... The other day I helped a friend move a hot tub with sections of PVC as rollers. Matter of fact, if you are going to be carrying them along, heavy-wall PVC may be the lightweight option.

You would need at least four sections. Three underneath and one positioned to roll onto. When it rolls off of one, you take that one and move it to the front again.

I would probably bevel the front and rear edges of the plate so that when you are moving the camper it will easily move onto the 'next' roller.

With bearings you would have problems with sideways movement, since the floor of the container is never going to be level. Same with short (1') pipe sections. It will be easier to get it to roll where you want it to with longer pipe sections (3 - 4').

Also, I would want heavy rub rails on each side of the camper (cuz you know it's going to hit the container), and a well-thought-out lifting scheme. Possibly lift points for the hi-lift. but that could be a trick under the front overhang.

Plus, you would want to think about tie down points that can be used inside the container.

All this from someone who has never shipped anything in a container.... but I've been thinking about this demountable/container approach for my dream rig.

Oh, and I think I read on here somewhere that some ports don't want you around when they load the container? If that's true, you'd better make it idiot-proof, for sure.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Agree that the container floor will be less than smooth. As the camper will be off the truck and assuming that the jacks are removed and stowed away safely, how about just two longitudinal skids (think Santa's sleigh) made from tubing with locking pieces that slot into tabs along the side of the camper's bottom that won't get in the way when mounting/demounting and would occupy the space lost from the truck's inner wheel arches and are long enough to safely support the camper so that it does not tip forward while being pushed (unseen ?) into or pulled out of the container by those container loaders that don't want anyone watching ? Those skids could possibly be two-piece and probably be stowed on the roof or somewhere else out of the way, for the return trip...

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I can't really search for it right now but I have seen online a picture of a piece of plywood with 4 big industrial rollers underneath. They use it to move truck campers around the yard.
That would work.
I am actually not worry at all about how to get it into the containers. These guys do that kind of stuff all day long, everyone is very imaginative.

The problem is that the both the BigFoot and the Northern Lite are a few inch too wide to fit in a container.
Some other US-made camper like the Lance 815/825 would fit but I really prefer fiberglass/composite over plywood for the camper.
I have a feeling these plywood/aluminium camper would get destroyed.

But I am also considering buying one of these for cheap combined with an older truck, and just selling the whole combo once the trip is over in South America.
Or perhaps just leave it here until the next World Cup...

And then flying over and just buying something else in Europe. We'll see, I still have several months ahead of me...a new HJZ79 is so tempting...

27000 Euro, so about $35000US. Brand new, with the new redesign dash with Airbags. From what I have gathered so far, you should be able to buy it in Belgium with a 6 months temporary export-only registration/plate.
That would give you enough time to drive down to Africa, where the whole registration thing can be sorted out....and you can probably sell it back at the end of your trip for the same price, depending on where you end up..

http://www.transauto.be/car/car.php?vehicle=218&lg=en

TOYOTA-Land-Cruiser-218B0.jpg

They also have the Hilux @ 21000 Euro, which I think would be more economical and comfy than the HJ79.

http://www.transauto.be/car/car.php?vehicle=224&lg=en

TOYOTA-Hilux---Vigo--224B0.jpg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
All great ideas, but will the Tischer camper fit into the container?
Tomas

Yes, I have checked. I got their brochure at home. Really nice to look at.

They have more details than any other company I have seen. They list the weight of every single option/item in addition to the weight of the camper. I have never seen that level of details from an American company. Well, that's the German I guess.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
I think I know what you mean about moving the camper. It is sort of a large scale dolly. If it is just a one-time use, even, it would not be very costly.

There are campers from Northern Lite that are more narrow ( http://www.northern-lite.com/lite.html ) than say, 94" or whatever. The 8'4" camper which they will build upon request is 81" wide and their smallest camper, 6'10", is 78" wide. I found a very lightly used 6'10" Northern Lite on CL (SF) for $5K and was talking with the owner, but was just a little too late to catch it, as transportation was going be needed and could not be arranged in time. I have not had any luck finding an 8'4" one, but there have been 6'10" ones out there. One could be had used for hopefully not too much and then refurbished as needed.

I think going the route of a used camper and older truck, but all nice and fixed up inside, makes a lot of sense and would be less conspicuous at the same time.

I can't really search for it right now but I have seen online a picture of a piece of plywood with 4 big industrial rollers underneath. They use it to move truck campers around the yard.
That would work.
I am actually not worry at all about how to get it into the containers. These guys do that kind of stuff all day long, everyone is very imaginative.

The problem is that the both the BigFoot and the Northern Lite are a few inch too wide to fit in a container.
Some other US-made camper like the Lance 815/825 would fit but I really prefer fiberglass/composite over plywood for the camper.
I have a feeling these plywood/aluminium camper would get destroyed.

But I am also considering buying one of these for cheap combined with an older truck, and just selling the whole combo once the trip is over in South America.
Or perhaps just leave it here until the next World Cup...

And then flying over and just buying something else in Europe. We'll see, I still have several months ahead of me...a new HJZ79 is so tempting...

27000 Euro, so about $35000US. Brand new, with the new redesign dash with Airbags. From what I have gathered so far, you should be able to buy it in Belgium with a 6 months temporary export-only registration/plate.
That would give you enough time to drive down to Africa, where the whole registration thing can be sorted out....and you can probably sell it back at the end of your trip for the same price, depending on where you end up..

They also have the Hilux @ 21000 Euro, which I think would be more economical and comfy than the HJ79.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Frank,

you are refering to this one, right?

http://www.northern-lite.com/lite185q.html

85Lite%20Tundra4%20003.jpg

I think I may have overlooked it indeed. It seems like it comes with a bathroom, is narrow enough to fit in a container and weight only 1280 pounds (based on their specs).

I'll take a closer look later but it seems like that could be a great option indeed.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Luis,

Yes please let us know.

The 6'10" is cool but has no bathroom. Tough sell for Persephone, if we are going to go all that way we may as well go for one more foot...and a toilet.

Let me just make one thing clear....I don't like the look of this kind of combo.

I much prefer a lighter TroopCarrier or Defender.

But I also have to be realistic that spending 1 year sleeping in a tent or questionable hostel beds is not something I think I can handle again...

Last edited:
But I also have to be realistic that spending 1 year sleeping in a tent or questionable hostel beds is not something I think I can handle again...

I completely understand, trust me. I love our RTT and its ultra comfy mattress, it truly has become our home. We do not like staying at hotels, but the rainy season demands it (and our few days of snow in the copper canyon are also demanded it). I will stop by Toyota tomorrow, I need to get an oil filter for the 12HT anyways.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Christian,

Yes, that is the one (6'10"), or the 8'4" model, if you can find one or want to order one built.

No, no bathroom shown as such, but I do believe a porta potti could easily be fit into the "closet" in the layout drawing, then just add a privacy curtain. Outside shower is an available option, IIRC.

The thinking of going with a "previously owned" one would be the opportunity to go through the inside and re-do it as you see fit. I do not recall if they will make one with items deleted or not, but you could check.

I am not pushing this one, but consider it as a possible option to the Tischer... The Big Foots (Big Feet ?) are just too large and even the Northern Lite is much too large in its standard sizes, but there just isn't anything else available in NA that is a true fiberglass composite shell, built like a boat hull would be built.

Perhaps it might be worth contacting the factory to see what they might be able to do or not ?

Frank,

you are refering to this one, right?

I think I may have overlooked it indeed. It seems like it comes with a bathroom, is narrow enough to fit in a container and weight only 1280 pounds (based on their specs).

I'll take a closer look later but it seems like that could be a great option indeed.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Frank,

I got confused. The one I showed in the previous posting is the 8'5", which does have a bathroom but is too wide for the container. It is equivalent to the Bigfoot 1500 series at 94" inch width.

Northern lite shows a 8'4" on their website that is narrower but it does not seem to have a bathroom. Also that seems to be a new model as I can't find anything on the net. Ordering directly from the factory usually means paying a premium. I would rather find a nice used one but that would not be possible with the 8'4".

So I am back to square one once again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste