My what to buy thread. Please help!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Well since you got a rig, my suburban recommendation is out the window. Mine, even though its has been less than reliable, will swallow, many people and their cargo. Utilize the roof rack for more storage and your golden!

Miatch

Observer
Here it is

So here is my big purchase.
2001 z71 5.3l in great shape (mall crawler)
It was being used as a tow rig for Jr Dragsters but he moved to a bigger trailer and needed a bigger rig.
The lift and tires and about 12 months old with wonderful Full Throttle Suspension reservoir shocks.
Plus it has a crazy stereo that will be used everyday.

It isn't the best trail rig but I live in the Midwest so most trails are pretty open forest roads and the ability to pull a camper and have room for the EZ-up, chairs, BBQ and a cooler at the soccer tournaments will be regularly appreciated. That being said, these things have a horrible turning radius.

All things considered, this vehicle meets all my needs except mileage, and I filled it up today for $1.85/gallon :)

00W0W_kcRNVS2RSD3_1200x900.jpg

00X0X_eC1am7lZUmV_1200x900.jpg

00M0M_8HhlQfHBr6F_1200x900.jpg

Miatch

Observer
Awesome. I approve.

Thanks Tom. It's hard to believe how well this truck rides; best driving lifted vehicle I've ever driven.
It has a fair amount of miles on it, but the only way you can tell is by reading the odometer and new 5.3l are only $2,000 delivered.
I only paid $6,800 for the truck!!

rayra

Expedition Leader
This is one of those times in which I'm sorry I tried to help. I hope those little ones aren't wearing any Nikes or Levis!
& if the OP is worried about that 'home team' stuff he better only buy a Sub whose VIN starts with '1'. '2's are assembled in Canada, eh. And '3's are hecho en Mehico. Que lastima.

eta

caught up with the update on the purchase, so what does the VIN begin with, 1, 2, or 3? My nipples tingle with anticipation at finding out. And mine will be a hearty laugh if it's not a 1.

/laughing WITH you, not AT you. It's a nice looking truck, like that silver color.

Last edited:

Miatch

Observer
Thanks, and yes, it starts with a 1:)
So far, kids love the stereo and the lift but they don't love the graphics.
It rides and drives great but with the third seat up the storage gets filled up quickly.

Jelorian

Adventurer
Congrats on the new Burb! Been loving mine ever since I got it 1.5 years ago. Was debating on trading her in for a 2500, but I've decided that I'll put a 4L80E if and when the trans goes and upgrade the diff to a 14 bolt if and when that goes as well...hahaha.

Love the stance on it as well.

Miatch

Observer
That's graphics? I thought the paint was peeling or faded or something.

lol it's actually a really nice truck. The man that built it is a drag racer, so he asked his buddy to fix the rock chips and clear it. When he went to pick it up, he was greeted with the graphics. I think the painter had a few cold ones that day. It's actually pretty nice, would fit in a lot better if it was still the 90's but thats ok.

justcuz

Explorer
My brother in law has a similar lift on his 2004 Suburban and runs somewhere around 34" or 35" tires. I've replaced 3 unit bearings in the front end for him. 2 rights and one left. Not sure about his wheel offset, but he is a tightwad and will not buy quality replacement bearings. I cheat a little by pumping extra grease through the ABS sensor hole.
I think my sister in law uses the right front tire for a curb feeler honestly. So keep an eye on your unit bearings.

My 2000 has 270,000 miles and I run 285/75x16 tires. Never had any unit bearing trouble and as far as I know mine are original.

Most of the other common problems on these vehicles are covered in rayra's excellent thread on GMT800 fixes.

justcuz

Explorer
It's like Fight Club: The first rule of the GMT-800 Suburban Mafia is that you don't talk about the GMT-800 Suburban Mafia. :sombrero:

Does ownership automatically enroll us as members?
Kind of funny you came up with this, I was born in a town that had a large Mafia population during Prohibition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior