My what to buy thread. Please help!

Mo4130

Adventurer
Don't let xenophobia get in the way of getting a decent vehicle that fits the bill. And for the record the only ford vehicles that are made in the USA are their 450s and up. And Chevys are garbage. The toyotas and nissans are more American than "American" made vehicles no a days.

Miatch

Observer
Don't let xenophobia get in the way of getting a decent vehicle that fits the bill. And for the record the only ford vehicles that are made in the USA are their 450s and up. And Chevys are garbage. The toyotas and nissans are more American than "American" made vehicles no a days.

If you go to McDonald's in Tokyo and eat a cheeseburger, it's still American food.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Just for reference, my '04 Suburban 2500 on 33's with 4.10 gears and the 6.0 gets around 14 on the highway if I am taking it easy, 15 tops. Around town it sees 10.

Beware of blanket statements like Chevy's are garbage. Great drivetrains, no issues with the 2500's and there are great products out there to fortify the front ends on the 1500's. No rig is perfect, they all have deficiencies somewhere, and this is coming from a long term Toyota guy and Land Cruiser owner.

Like mentioned already, Burb, Excursion or 4wd conversion E series are probably your best bet but loaded with that many people and gear hitting 15+ mpg is probably going to be tough. Just be mindful of what gearing any vehicle you are looking at has as that will likely have more of an effect on your mpg's.

KMG

Adventurer
Nissan Motor Company Ltd (Japanese: 日産自動車株式会社 Hepburn: Nissan Jidōsha Kabushiki-gaisha?), usually shortened to Nissan (/ˈniːsɑːn/ or UK /ˈnɪsæn/; Japanese: [nisːaɴ]), is a Japanese multinational automobile manufacturer headquartered in Nishi-ku, Yokohama, Japan.

General Motors Company,[1] commonly known as GM, is an American multinational corporation headquartered in Detroit, Michigan, that designs, manufactures, markets, and distributes vehicles and vehicle parts, and sells financial services.

I prefer to support the home team whenever possible.

This is one of those times in which I'm sorry I tried to help. I hope those little ones aren't wearing any Nikes or Levis!

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Buy what you think you will enjoy the most. Screw MPGs. You only live once. Put the numbers to it: 3000 miles per month at 10 mpg vs 3000 miles per month at 15 mpg. The difference is 100 gallons. Sounds like a lot. At $2.15/gal that's an additional $215/month. But if you're getting 15 mpg in a vehicle that you don't really like driving, isn't that $215/month worth it? And with 7 kids, your options are severely limited. Which vehicle do you want to make memories with you and your kids? A cargo van with seats bolted to the floor or a baby-eating lifted Sub on 35s?

The choice is clear. Do it for the children.

Wilbah

Adventurer
I would go with the Suburban/Yukon XL. I have an '04 Yukon and 3 kids in that can be tight camping. I end up with the roof rack full and a hitch basket also full. The Yukon/Tahoe 3rd row virtually eliminates any space behind that 3rd row to the liftgate. In the Suburban/Yukon XL. That extra (IIRC) 18" would be gold. And you have 4 more kids than me!

I always get around 15-17 mpg with it, the one exception was with all the kids towing a 26 foot trailer which knocked it down to 10. But day in and day out 15 is no problem at all. It has 245K on the clock now and all I have done is a front bearing and fuel pump (other than wear items- brakes, etc.). I literally just changed the original serpentine belt a month ago because....well it had 245K on it! The original wasn't checked or anything. I've been driving with a replacement in the vehicle for 8 to 10 years now figuring I would wait until it went to replace it. Ha.

I know lots of people pooh-pooh the independent front suspension but I have never been stuck or had issues with it....well correct that...I got stuck once trying to blast through a 4 foot plow left snowbank at the end of the driveway just for bleeps and giggles (a friend was waiting there with a strap). Not that I hardcore wheel it by any stretch but I have had no issues with mud, sand, snow etc. Granted I am mostly doing logging roads and FS roads but for me its been a perfect compromise for space for the family, provides "enough" for offroad, and has been virtually maintenance free. Good luck!

Ivan

Lost in Space
Ford Excursion with the 7.3 powerstroke seems to fit your bill.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/222234775238

And KMG and Miatch:

I really hope you two see the irony of calling someone a xenophobe whilst blindly recommending a brand simply because it's foreign (or as foreign as you can be in this current market), yet discounting a brand simply because it's domestic (nevermind the debacle of Tacomas self destructing with rusty frames, Honda recalling every vehicle ever made due to killer airbags, or Volkswagen committing massive worldwide fraud).

How about: leave the judgemental nonsense to yourself?

We've all come together in this forum because we like cars, camping, and the outdoors.

Let's build up on that instead of tearing each other down.

KMG

Adventurer
Ford Excursion with the 7.3 powerstroke seems to fit your bill.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/222234775238

And KMG and Miatch:

I really hope you two see the irony of calling someone a xenophobe whilst blindly recommending a brand simply because it's foreign (or as foreign as you can be in this current market), yet discounting a brand simply because it's domestic (nevermind the debacle of Tacomas self destructing with rusty frames, Honda recalling every vehicle ever made due to killer airbags, or Volkswagen committing massive worldwide fraud).

How about: leave the judgemental nonsense to yourself?

We've all come together in this forum because we like cars, camping, and the outdoors.

Let's build up on that instead of tearing each other down.

I didn't call any one a xenophobe. I recommended a vehicle I own! Not sure where the rest of your attitude is from, but good luck.

Miatch

Observer
This is one of those times in which I'm sorry I tried to help. I hope those little ones aren't wearing any Nikes or Levis!

I appreciate you offering your opinion about my vehicle but that odd comment about what my kids are wearing continues to perpetuate your misunderstanding of these companies origins.

Nike, Inc. (official, US /ˈnaɪki/; also, non-US /ˈnaɪk/)[note 1] is an American multinational corporation that is engaged in the design, development, manufacturing and worldwide marketing and sales of footwear, apparel, equipment, accessories and services. The company is headquartered near Beaverton, Oregon, in the Portland metropolitan area.

Levi Strauss & Co. /ˌliːvaɪ ˈstraʊs/ is a privately owned American clothing company known worldwide for its Levi's /ˌliːvaɪz/ brand of denim jeans. It was founded in 1853 when Levi Strauss came from Buttenheim, Bavaria, to San Francisco, California to open a west coast branch of his brothers' New York dry goods business. The company's corporate headquarters is located in the Levi's Plaza in San Francisco.[4]

Miatch

Observer
Buy what you think you will enjoy the most. Screw MPGs. You only live once. Put the numbers to it: 3000 miles per month at 10 mpg vs 3000 miles per month at 15 mpg. The difference is 100 gallons. Sounds like a lot. At $2.15/gal that's an additional $215/month. But if you're getting 15 mpg in a vehicle that you don't really like driving, isn't that $215/month worth it? And with 7 kids, your options are severely limited. Which vehicle do you want to make memories with you and your kids? A cargo van with seats bolted to the floor or a baby-eating lifted Sub on 35s?

I like the way you think.

Miatch

Observer
I would go with the Suburban/Yukon XL. I have an '04 Yukon and 3 kids in that can be tight camping. I end up with the roof rack full and a hitch basket also full. The Yukon/Tahoe 3rd row virtually eliminates any space behind that 3rd row to the liftgate. In the Suburban/Yukon XL. That extra (IIRC) 18" would be gold. And you have 4 more kids than me!

I always get around 15-17 mpg with it, the one exception was with all the kids towing a 26 foot trailer which knocked it down to 10. But day in and day out 15 is no problem at all. It has 245K on the clock now and all I have done is a front bearing and fuel pump (other than wear items- brakes, etc.). I literally just changed the original serpentine belt a month ago because....well it had 245K on it! The original wasn't checked or anything. I've been driving with a replacement in the vehicle for 8 to 10 years now figuring I would wait until it went to replace it. Ha.

I know lots of people pooh-pooh the independent front suspension but I have never been stuck or had issues with it....well correct that...I got stuck once trying to blast through a 4 foot plow left snowbank at the end of the driveway just for bleeps and giggles (a friend was waiting there with a strap). Not that I hardcore wheel it by any stretch but I have had no issues with mud, sand, snow etc. Granted I am mostly doing logging roads and FS roads but for me its been a perfect compromise for space for the family, provides "enough" for offroad, and has been virtually maintenance free. Good luck!

My offroad needs are similar to yours, mainly FS roads and mud by choice.

Miatch

Observer
Thank you everyone for your input.
I have taken all opinions into consideration and after looking at several vehicles, I made a deal today.
I will pick it up after the holiday and share pictures with everyone....I can't wait!!!!!

Wilbah

Adventurer
Thank you everyone for your input.
I have taken all opinions into consideration and after looking at several vehicles, I made a deal today.
I will pick it up after the holiday and share pictures with everyone....I can't wait!!!!!

Good luck! I hope the decision proves to be a good one. I think you got some good ideas from a variety of perspectives here. The bottom line is most vehicles today are pretty good. Yes each has their gremlins which you will become familiar with but as long as it gets you and your family out in the outdoors it will be worthwhile.

Miatch

Observer

And I gotta say, I love your Explorer. I had a 1995 4.0 with the torsion twist, shackles and I believe it had 31's. That was practically perfect for a mid-west trail/daily driver. I really love the mid-size vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior