My XP V1 Shakedown Thread

adam88

Explorer
You're living my dream!!! I love everything about this thread. I picked up a 2006 F350 6.0L a couple of years ago (low mileage) with the same exact plan as you to put an XP V1 on it. It's just been sitting and life has gotten in the way. What a pain in the butt. I still keep planning to buy an XP and put it on the thing. Now I'm sort of waiting for the XP V2 to maybe come in a full-width design a couple of years down the road. I procrastinate so much and miss out! I have the same Scanguage II as you with good ECT's and EOT's with stock cooler, but I am still planning on getting all the same bulletproof upgrades as you. In my opinion, the 6.0L is one of the BEST engines ever made, with great power and gas mileage. However, Ford screwed it up with all the emissions crap. By bulletproofing the engine with the parts you did, you have a way better truck than a 7.3L. You should be very happy you made the choice for a 6.0L. Had you gone for a 7.3L, I think you would have found that it didn't have enough power. And on top of that, with the 2005 you get coil springs up front and a much high payload. Great choice!

Can you do me one favour and see how tall of a spare tire could fit in the spare tire location? E.g., the height from the flatbed to the bottom of the camper extension. Could it fit a 41" tire there? Thanks for all the great photos.

NothingClever

Explorer
It's just been sitting and life has gotten in the way.

Oh, I understand that aplenty. I just got lucky in life for a brief moment. We're settling back into the regular grind of life so don't be fooled by the photos.

adam88 said:
Now I'm sort of waiting for the XP V2 to maybe come in a full-width design a couple of years down the road.
If you're ready, you might want to talk to Marc. He's pretty flexible and talked about widening the V2 mold to create campers for the Tundra, etc. He might entertain putting a wide V2 on a full-size. But definitely talk to Marc because he has put a lot of intellectual energy into the design and there might be considerations I'm not thinking of.

adam88 said:
In my opinion, the 6.0L is one of the BEST engines ever made, with great power and gas mileage. However, Ford screwed it up with all the emissions crap. By bulletproofing the engine with the parts you did, you have a way better truck than a 7.3L. You should be very happy you made the choice for a 6.0L. Had you gone for a 7.3L, I think you would have found that it didn't have enough power.

Roger on the premature emissions which Ford pressured International into rushing to market after several delays.

Roger also on power. Everybody raves about the 7.3l and how evil the 6.0l is and blah, blah, blah. I talked to a couple of diesel fanatics who have some impressive knowledge and experience with diesel engines and they shared there's no way the 7.3l would match my climbing power and speeds with the 6.0l. So, while I could have eventually (heavy emphasis on that adverb) found a worthy 7.3l and not spent near as much money, poking along up a mountain pass is a quaint memory I don't care to repeat. The 6.0l has been juicy sweet as I've launched past semis, Griswold RVs and regular passenger cars, too.

adam88 said:
Can you do me one favour and see how tall of a spare tire could fit in the spare tire location? E.g., the height from the flatbed to the bottom of the camper extension. Could it fit a 41" tire there?

Definitely could fit 37" tires in there. 41" tires will be too big to fit in there. Good gravy, that's a big tire, mate!

Last edited:

adam88

Explorer
Roger on the pre-mature emissions which Ford pressured International into rushing to market after several delays. Roger also on power. Everybody raves about the 7.3l and how evil the 6.0l is and blah, blah, blah. I talked to a couple of diesel fanatics who have some impressive knoweldge and experience with diesel engines and they let me know there's no way the 7.3l would be able to match my climbing power and speeds with the 6.0l. So, while I could have eventually (heavy emphasis) found a worthy 7.3l and not spent near as much money, poking along up a mountain pass is a quant memory I don't care to repeat. The 6.0 has been juicy sweet.

Probably the biggest issue was the 6.0L engine was released at a time when "chips" were becoming very popular. People would buy a brand new truck, take it home, plug in a chip, set it to "Insane Mode", and go for a drive while flooring the gas pedal down, which would blow the head gaskets out due to the EGR cooler design. It took Ford too long to realize this and fix it, and they had never bothered to test their trucks for these scenarios. If left stock, the early 6.0L's weren't terrible. The late model 6.0L's when left stock are some of the best trucks around. I've had my truck for 2.5 years and no issues, and it's bone stock. The 7.3L's were so overpriced (and still are). They got such a legendary reputation, it was insane. When I looked at my 2006 F350 with 35,000 miles on it, it was much cheaper than some of the 2002 7.3L trucks out there with 150,000 miles on them. Couldn't believe it. For the price difference, one could bulletproof the 6.0L with all the top notch parts and never worry again, plus get better power, better frame/chassis, better body, better suspension, better transmission. Was a no brainer for me. Congrats to you and have fun!

UHAULER

Explorer
That is a very nice setup. I know what you guys are saying about the 6.o , my brother bought an 03 when they first came out, he had some issues with it but were fixed under warranty, still runs strong 10 years and 150k later. I bought a very clean 02 7.3 about 3 years ago and really like it but it feels like a slug compared to my brothers truck.

adam88

Explorer
I bought a very clean 02 7.3 about 3 years ago and really like it but it feels like a slug compared to my brothers truck.

Well, fortunately for you the 7.3L has such a good reputation (especially the 2002's) that you could probably sell it and buy a 2006/2007 6.0L for about the same price. It's gotten so ridiculous that low mileage 2002 7.3L's are going for over $30,000 on ebay. This one sold two weeks ago for $31,211 (are you kidding me?!)... for a 2002 7.3L with only 29,000 miles. For that, the person could have bought a 2007 6.0L, spent $10,000 getting it fully bulletproofed with every option, and still probably had $5,000 left. It makes no sense to me.

Oh well, I don't want to sidetrack the thread. I just was shocked by this sale!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002...8736260?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item43bcb43804

NothingClever

Explorer
So, survival techniques for the heat of the Gritsylvannia region and subtropical Florida.

DAY: Awning out as soon as the sun comes up and leave the top door open.

Insulated privacy panels up on the "tent" windows during the day and close the Heki and the Heki's sunshade. They all work to block the sun from coming in.

Raise the Dometic shades to further block the sun.

Set fan(s) to exhaust. They'll pull in the cooler air from the shaded awning area through the open top door. This was a huge factor.

Plan activities for the day which get you out of the camper during the mid-day broil. The camper is comfortably cooler than outside during the morning and evening but any camper without an air conditioner will wear on you if you string together multiple days hanging out at the camper in the middle of the day (although this, of course, is not a relevant guideline if it rains). A walk or a sit at the beach changes your outlook and returning to the camper for a cold drink keeps things in perspective even if the heat under the awning is only 7-9 degrees cooler than the ambient temperature.

NIGHT: For ventilation up front, the Heki is the winning choice for comfortable sleeping. Open it about two inches and set both ceiling fans to exhaust and the night's cool air will pour in right on top of you. We left the insulated privacy panels up all the time unless it rained. If it rained, we closed the Heki and pulled the front privacy panel down to open the front "tent" window (protected from rain) for ventilation.

If you have someone sleeping in the dinette bed, open the smaller dinette window. It creates a better breeze (Venturi effect) than the large bay window. All other windows should be closed unless, of course, there is a strong breeze coming off the sea.

Drink a glass/can/bottle of cold water before going to bed.

Make sure the sheet on the mattress is pulled tight. We used some sheet straps from Bed, Bath and Beyond but they weren't as effective as we'd like. We're going to take some regular sheets into an alterations shop and have them cut to size and add elastic at the corners to essentially make some fitted sheets.

Have a sheet or a light cotton blanket handy....you'll likely cover up as the day's heat dissipates and the camper really cools off.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Nice truck, those 6.0's are great engines when modified correctly.

You will have a blast on the trip, I have done the same trip - but on a bike.
I am really enjoying your thread, please keep it going NC.

One minor correction: I think '05 was the first year for front coils. I know my '03 has leafs in front.

A word of warning regarding F350 brakes: the front rotors are quite susceptible to warping.

Cheers
Mark
While all brakes can warp - the super duties issues were mostly fixed in 05+ with much larger rotors.

garybo

Adventurer
Did the Bullet Proof Diesel approved shop replace parts with OEM parts or "improved" parts? I thought I read what parts they replaced- ECM, water pump, etc, but can't seem to find that post? I saw the repositioned oil filter. What parts did they replace? thanks, Gary

NothingClever

Explorer
Yeah, their website is a pretty comprehensive resource to understand the issues and the range of options to address them.

Despite my exhaustive, laborious tome, I forgot to add that I also replaced my fuel injection control module (FICM).

So, the fully bulletproof package for my truck was:

Replaced the EGR cooler
Added an oil cooler
Added a cold weather thermostat (for our eventual escape form Florida)
Replaced the FICM
Replaced the OEM water pump with a Billet Water Pump Assembly
Added a ScanGauge II Digital Data Monitor

Keyne

Adventurer
Really enjoying reading about your experience with the V1, but for some reason many of the photos dont show up for me. Are others experiencing the same problem?

Scottrope

NC, I know you're super busy, but could you post the gross weight of the truck and camper when you get settled in? Thanks!

Tommy Gunns

NC, you said: "Mosquitos and no-seeums are not an issue in the XP. We're using an Off! Powerpad Lantern inside the XP to prevent having to spray on bug repellant while inside. This is a nice relief not having to spray on big repellant, especially after taking a shower (an XP feature we enjoy TREMENDOUSLY). The lantern uses a small tealight to warm a card (the "Powerpad") which fits in the top of the lantern to give off an odorless vapor that repels the mosquitos. The Dometic windows have really trick bug screens which work really well."

So... In reference to what you said above, the use of the Powerpad Lantern, is this needed because the door is left open for cooling, or is it because the little vampires are making their way in some other way?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier