My XP V1 Shakedown Thread

NothingClever

Explorer
The vampires make their way in through the door. There are some small gaps at the corners between the upper and lower door of the seal. I know Marc is working on a better seal. He recently switched mold partners and anticipates an improvement in tighter tolerances and better consistency in the shells. There is also a small gap (1") between the tent and the wall but it is easily covered up with the natural lay of a bedsheet.

At first glance the small gaps at the door are negligible while toasting pinot grigio over apples and gouda in the desert Southwest. Then, when in mosquito country, the gaps seem like thoroughfares as squadrons of mosquitos pour in like Pearl Harbor pilots. then you become alarmed as your wife and daughter become acutely aware of their delicate skin. Then you adapt and use a citronella candle or something like the Off! candle and the XP is once again a luxury refuge.

NothingClever

Explorer
NC, I know you're super busy, but could you post the gross weight of the truck and camper when you get settled in? Thanks!

Swamped at work...haven't weighed it.

On a somewhat related note, I drive the truck once a week and I'm still amazed at how well it drives on tight, urban roads in Tampa Bay where wide open spaces disappeared 75 years ago.

lndhark

Adventurer
I'm a newbie here NC, but have been following your build. I'm really enjoying the writeup and thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm in the planning stages for a Sportsmobile but look forward to using it for the overland travel you've accomplished so far in the west. Happy trails!

Jb1rd

Explorer
Sorry to Hijack

Was reading your post and saw first about TNF bags, I can say as a prior manager for a North Face store in Vail that I could not keep these bags in stock, I have 4-5 of them. Then I read your wife is Colombian, mine too, from Bogota. Wish we were on the same time frame, we are looking to do another trek hopefully sooner than later, last one was all through Ecuador. The Pacific coast of Colombia is SPECTACULAR!!!! Stop in El Vialle, it is just south of Bahia Salona. There is a parque nacional that is out of this world, the locals are first rate, take a launcha up the river. Any way, have fun, and remember its all about living pura vida

I appreciate the detailed thread and build details. We are finalizing details for our build with Marc at XP. We just purchased a one owner 2002 Ford Super Duty Supercab 4x4 with a 7.3 diesel and 46,000 original one owner miles. We are planning very similar build with lift, lockers, bumpers, winches, etc. The shakedown trip through Southwest Colorado was in our backyard. We are planning a Pan Am trip for 2015.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
I appreciate the detailed thread and build details. We are finalizing details for our build with Marc at XP. We just purchased a one owner 2002 Ford Super Duty Supercab 4x4 with a 7.3 diesel and 46,000 original one owner miles. We are planning very similar build with lift, lockers, bumpers, winches, etc. The shakedown trip through Southwest Colorado was in our backyard. We are planning a Pan Am trip for 2015.
Nice choice of truck and cool, you will have to share some photos once your camper is built!
If you truck is an auto and you are planning on travelling out of the states, I could not strongly recommend having John Woods or BTS go through your transmission and do a rebuild prior to your trip: http://jwtt.com/ & http://www.brianstruckshop.com/ respectively.

With the 4R100, its not if it goes, but when - and both companies transmissions are what gets put behind any high horsepower diesel of any brand, as they are both bulletproof. It might be more expensive up front, but it will give you piece of mind on your trip - not to mention having your trans go out in Bolivia will be both expensive - and you won't necessarily get the workmanship that you would here.

jeff power

Glad you're enjoying it! Been in Tampa, I'll take a 4x4 road any day over that mess, thank you!

Ive driven my old 1960 VW bus on I-275 through downtown tampa many many times, Someone really screwed up when they designed those roads. Its a total nightmare.

Freebird

Adventurer
When the camper is in the "go" mode on various dusty roads, how good a job do the camper seals do at keeping the fine dust out of the interior of the camper?
Thanks for the mosquito battle review and the mention that Marc is making improvements to thwart the little buggers.
Those of us who keep (repeatedly) teetering on the brink of ordering one REALLY appreciate your feedback! Thank you

Freebird,

I'm a new-ish owner of an XP V-1 we bought used from Marc. Ours was built in 2012 before Marc did fiberglass in-house so it has a lower door that doesn't quite seal completely. We've spend much of our time with it bouncing around the Mojave desert. The inside stays really clean while driving on the dusty roads out there. The seals between the top and bottom pieces are very good. The door was our our only concern for dust while driving and has proven not to be an issue.

We love ours (and you will too, buy one). Hope that answers your question.

Paul

Freebird

Adventurer
Thanks, Paul. I appreciate the feedback.
I have ordered a diesel 2016 Ford F-350 SRW which should be in production about now.
I have been very "sweet" on the XP-V1 for a while now. I am re-examining all the options available in truck campers while waiting on the truck. The reason being that my spouse (CFO/CEO?) is not particularly enthusiastic about both the XP camper size, nor its price, so researching/reevaluating/looking at all options for this truck.
I/we will likely use our currently owned Alaskan camper on the truck while we sort the options. One reasonable option is stand pat with the 10' Alaskan cab over with some mods.

EDIT - UPDATE: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/145172-Switching-from-Alaskan-pop-up-to-NL-hardside

Last edited:

glideking

My XP Camper will be ready to deliver any day now. Thanks for posting the photos. Keeps me going while I wait for the call.
Kurt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles