NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist

Ray_G

Explorer
Some epic photos there Ray!!! both those discos look awesome!

I looked at bringing in a ProSpeed rack into SA and just cant justify paying those shipping fees

I can't blame you really, especially with Frontrunner offering domestic options there-when I brought the prospeed into the UAE I just closed my eyes and took the shipping-it was considerable (and if I had patience I could have, should have, waited to get it in the US where shipping is less and now folks like L8 are distributors).

That said, now long since forgotten in terms of financial pain-I love it.

Beautiful truck you have BTW; rather jealous of the opportunities you have there to play with it.
r-
Ray

SHS14

Hi Ray, because I respect your build philosophy, I wanted to ask you about sliders. I can see from the first post you went with custom. Today, if you were going to buy off the shelf sliders, what would you go with?

Cheers,
Joe

Ray_G

Explorer
Hi Ray, because I respect your build philosophy, I wanted to ask you about sliders. I can see from the first post you went with custom. Today, if you were going to buy off the shelf sliders, what would you go with?

Cheers,
Joe

Joe-
Off the shelf, given how I use my truck I'd probably just call my friends at Lucky 8 and get the terra firma units (https://www.lucky8llc.com/products/terrafirma-discovery-3-rock-sliders-with-tree-bars). Far from the most robust, but sufficient for providing a little bit of protection, the added benefit of a step but without adding a lot of weight to an already heavy vehicle. Certainly stouter options out there-but I don't tend to scrape my truck along things unless absolutely unavoidable. Some my cost/benefit would put me there. I say L8 since Justin, Erik, and the crew are all fixtures in the community and I like to support them when able.

If you wanted to spend more you could engage with them about prospeed, or the tactical units.
r-
Ray

SHS14

Thanks for your opinion. I heard those terrafirma sliders were adjusted to make fitment user friendly.

Ray_G

Explorer
Midland MXT 115 GMRS radio

Finally got all the small things sorted for the GMRS install.

As noted a few weeks back my partner in crime and I both found ourselves intrigued by Midland's Micromobile line of vehicle mounted GMRS radios. The ability to have it hard mounted in a vehicle is nice, particularly when coupled with the increase in power and better antenna placement. So at little time on the FCC website, and ~$90 later, we were both legal and set out to try out the middle of the Midland range, the MXT 115. While I think we both want the bump in watts that comes with the top of the line MXT 400 the price point of the 115 given application parameters made sense.

Installation was rather straight forward, particularly since I decided to tap into existing antenna infrastructure that was supporting the Yaseu and I opted to remove the CB entirely and thus had power and such close at hand. I decided to mimic the basic location I'd heard for where the G4 trucks had their two way radios, inside the upper glove box. I did remove it, drill a hole in the back left side to allow antenna, power, external speaker, and mic extension cables through-but this part is easy enough to replace if for some reason I decided to return to stock.
fullsizeoutput_1e1e.jpg
As you can see the little speaker sits in the tray area above it with its wire just smashed in the closed glove door. Speaker is velcroed in place, which allegedly is also how they did it in the G4 trucks to minimize perm modification.
fullsizeoutput_1e21.jpg
I opted to extend the mic-worth noting here that this is what delayed the post for a bit as I screwed around with what type of cord and connectors were needed. Initially I thought it was simply RJ45/cat 5. Nope, should have looked closer. Ok then, RJ11 right? No. It actually seems to be RJ12 & 6P6C cord. I may not be saying that right. What I ended up doing was getting a mic extension here. At $10, I was happy to throw them the business. This facilitates the nice handset down in the center console. Yaseu is now tucked into the center console cubby. If you wait a bit, sometime in 2018 Midland is going to come out with what is basically the GMRS version of a Cobra 75WSXT in the form of the MXT275 Give that you still have a brain to mount somewhere I figure I'll just backfill the MXT115 with the 275 brain, and plug the new mic into the extension and shift the MXT115 over to another truck, perhaps Coyote.

Here's the mic day to day:
fullsizeoutput_1e20.jpg
The unit comes with a fairly decent mini mag antenna that for an LR3 application would likely work well aft of the roof glass where it will stick and, depending on shark fin, routing of cable wouldn't be too hard. Midland also offers upgrade high gain antennas that seem to be good from what I've read on some forums. On my end I already had the motorized diamond mount and a UHF optimized antenna on the truck so I decided to try out a switch to go between HAM and GMRS. With the brain of the Yaseu in the back left, I opted to just place the switch there since for most of the time I see myself using the GMRS up in WV. If I really need to talk HAM VHF or UHF, I can take the time to get out and switch from 1 to 2 in terms of input.
Rather industrial, which I kind of like for some reason. Like other mods, I did this on a panel that would be easy to replace if for some reason I wanted to clean it up.
fullsizeoutput_1e1c.jpg
Switch is a cheap unit off Amazon coupled with some 90 degree connectors to go through the panel
where things attach either out to the antenna itself or to the respective radios, as labeled. When the tools go back in, it is nicely tucked away with very little chance of damage or inadvertent contact.
fullsizeoutput_1e1f.jpg

So how is performance? As previous posts noted we played with the radios on the park-the distances here weren't so much as important as determining dead spots given the terrain. Specifically we used my truck as a stationary base to validate a potential repeater site that would allow comms from the primary park site, an adjacent parcel of property that is used for other things, and a nearby residence (all with terrain in between). This was easy enough, so on the way home we decided to stretch it out across the valley where we were clear as a bell out to at least 8mi and were getting hits on appropriate terrain out to 14mi without even trying. I'm sure we could do better with some designated high ground to achieve electronic line of sight but for driving down the highway and talking from a ~7" antenna to a ~6" antenna, I'm sold on GMRS in a vehicle mounted application, particularly when the MXT275 comes online and allows more control without opening the glove box.

Bottomline if your friends are considering CB (no), HAM (yes, but) or GMRS-the Midland line of GMRS should make you think hard about if you want to have the utility of UHF that you can get with HAM but the ease/convenience of an out of the packaging solution that is compact and elegant in its way.

More to follow as the truck prepares to cross 125K...on her way to Northern WI for Xmas!
r-
Ray

Ray_G

Explorer
8cb76bb86d5af097d62a014a8767662e.jpg

Somewhere in Ohio...on a day where we did 800mi in 13hrs, truck just eats miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray_G

Explorer
42ae51a346f6652700c75822ae895fc2.jpg

Two days, ~1200 miles. Fantastic truck.
63b97ae5e8283d43234354ece202c3b8.jpg

Why not
f42b0d17d8a16fb7114705fd8987e5f2.jpg

Eats up cargo; somehow with three ladies we could see out the back-with just one duffle and snowboard up top.
60476ec8c7c20f28dccd8afdc9703194.jpg

Eldest gets some time in on the highway
836479eb5828994a083c11e42f1b72ea.jpg

All worth it.
37948d049ac4099550d9944bdc280dcb.jpg

I mean really worth it.
2b0e868b716385653fa40a5b73eb0494.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
Continued service in N WI. I wish I had a block heater...
aa86a33e40920db519b7b6d5e8eb095c.jpg

Kiddo is getting some good time out on the roads though, won't get this chance in VA often.
d30213d89b9d19743c4d9ebdf62b4d8f.jpg

ATV needed moving bc it wouldn't start. Got to use the winch, which worked well in ~ -11

20c839e289f3059f44ec9c558c65ef4f.jpg

1b54b67854de5bdea9205cb76fdfeaaa.jpg

Towed it to the fire hall to warm up (FIL is chief, MIL also a volunteer in the dept)
f0e412e686880e52bd26fb98cafca445.jpg

Seriously wish I had a block heater, but once the truck warms up it truly does fantastic up here. Cracks me up that it's seen a pretty wide variance in temps; from 120 to -19.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Many years ago when I was much younger I had a service call in Jamestown, ND. Arrived at the hotel and was surprised to see a power pole at each parking spot. It was -13degF..... at 2pm. Realized I should plug my rental in if I wanted it to start in the morning. The work was outside all week! First few days were rough but by the end of the week I aclimated, mostly.

Ray_G

Explorer
Ray - hoping your sitting by a fire and enjoying an adult beverage. Appears you have timed the trip into the teeth of significant cold

https://twitter.com/TTrogdon/status/945670992851898369

Not quite by a fire but adult beverages are certainly be consumed.

This am:
d607f31aa0991956a68ae8a7079d3e7d.jpg

Which meant she was pissy (has a brand new battery)
77aa518567043e25e9698f722b7ca238.jpg

After letting her warm up and then clearing with the IID all was fine.

Heat wave!
6cede237212767e5e2416f6bdf61a230.jpg

So we went down to the lake (Superior)
9b54d904a812e1cd3fe5a239557a15be.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
Is that warning light the one that is for the wabasto that we don't have, but means something else on NAS cars?

That actually just means the headlights are on-I updated my CCF via IID a long time ago to have clock on dash (aka MY07-09) and as a result you get that when the headlights are on-there is a hybrid CCF but I'm too lazy to reflash.

A.J.M

Explorer
I have the same light to show my headlights are on.

It used to be for us with the diesels to say the auxiliary engine heater was running. But it freaked out people being a red light so it got turned off during a “software update” after about a year of production.

And I was getting cold at -8 degrees. Mine will be getting a fresh set of glow plugs come spring time. It gets a few runs of the plugs before I try it as they are tired/non working to help it start from stone cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94