NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist

One of the things I realized was some of the tools I kept in my pelican cases really should just be in the truck 100% if the time, with the left rear seat being a good place to store them given limited clearance bc of the shelf setup.

After URE it was time to focus on the RTT install. We had done a fairly deliberate examination of our requirements. Both on paper, as well as examining a friend’s JB Evo Space and taking advantage of Adam at BROG’s roofnest. We knew we wanted hard shell vice soft, wanted to minimize weight and have it flow well with the prospeed. In the end that’s how we ended up with the previously pictured Autohome Colombus Variant (small).

So we took it to a local vinyl place to get wrapped. We used the wife’s taco since that was a far easier transport. A lot of sheen in this pic but basically it matches the wheel color of Saqr.

Concurrently we sourced prospeed XRS crossbars since they provided the simplest solution for getting the tent on (& off)

By getting some longer M8 bolts I retained the flooring on the rack. (Side note, I have a 2nd set of bars if someone needs a set...long story).

With the tent back from being wrapped and Labor Day this weekend...it was time to mount it. A challenge for two short people but we got after it.

Not too many pics of that since she wasn’t having me just document while she did the work....

Then loaded the truck up to validate the new setup.

All told, laden, spring sag is negligible and the truck handles quite well even with weigh on the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next step was a shakeout trip up to WV. We already knew we wanted to add some memory foam to the mattress so we took advantage of the Twin Mtn Technology Centre & workshop to get thing sorted inside.

Best done by one

Which promoted testing.

We spent the night in it (outside)...

The next am we re-attacked because the rear hatch was hitting the latch. I don’t really want to replace the 3rd brake, again, so we moved it forward about 1.5”

I do think I need to noodle through making a plate that goes across the top of the hatch to protect the glass up there and give one a place to stand if need be. A winter project.

Then we went at played.

And prepped for Advanced Wilderness First Aid in a couple of weeks by checking on the plane crash and moving the flip toy.

Sun pm we spent over at the park.

Whereupon our campsite saw us stunned by the sunset.

A few tweaks to be made but so far, the 1min setup/~2-3min teardown while having a soft, dry place to sleep has been fantastic.

Next up AWFA, then VOR!

Life takes some twists that's for sure.
Florence hung up AWFA.
Some medical issues stopped VOR-which is truly sad.

So I changed the oil today while fiddling with some other stuff, amidst that I noticed that the water pump appears to be weeping a little coolant down the front of the engine. Thus a new one is on order. As is a thermostat housing, and a whole new coolant hose kit too since if we're going to recondition a part may as well do all this.

Question is, anything else I should be considering replacing as she nears 150k given the upcoming waterpump/t-stat/hose/belt changes?

Question is, anything else I should be considering replacing as she nears 150k given the upcoming waterpump/t-stat/hose/belt changes?
I recall a good upgrade to do while replacing the thermostat is to move to a metal bleeder T because the plastic one tends to get brittle and fail:

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/lr3-thermostat-housing-assembly-replacement.136365/
Quite so, a brass T went on shortly after arrival in Abu Dhabi a few months after buying the truck. That’s one of the first mods everyone should make, either deliberately or the truck will help you make it an unscheduled replacement.

@Ray_G The one thing I like about my ARB RTT is the window and door overhangs! I honestly do not know if they are required or not since this is all I am used to. I see many of the hard-shells do not have overhangs for any openings; how do you feel about water intrusion on sideward wind and rain and is it an issue with the hardshell tents?

Thanks in advance!

@Ray_G The one thing I like about my ARB RTT is the window and door overhangs! I honestly do not know if they are required or not since this is all I am used to. I see many of the hard-shells do not have overhangs for any openings; how do you feel about water intrusion on sideward wind and rain and is it an issue with the hardshell tents?

Thanks in advance!
A valid question, and certainly one of the things we considered as we looked at hard vs soft shells. Having only limited time in the tent thus far, with only one night being in a light rain, I don't have an experience base to make a judgment. Yet. I'm hoping to fix that this fall.

Initial impression is that the construction of the hardshell should mitigate that unless it is a very severe sidewind with a lot of rain. One of the reasons we went clamshell vice 360 was actually so if we encounter a situation where we pull into a site and the weather is already bad, we can face the front toward the prevailing winds to mitigate the effect of water coming in from the side. If the weather comes in after we've set up we may be challenged. Bear in mind my wife loves meteorology and I recently gave her a Kestrel 5500 w/all the bells and whistles, with the intended purpose of when we show up to camp places she's start playing with her toys (and hopefully give us some sense of things like incoming weather). My biggest concern if the rain is bad and we're already static? Ventilation.

More to follow as this thing gets used a bit more this fall.
r-
Ray

Thanks @Ray_G ! Yeah, I didn't think of the ventilation issue either as with the 360 we usually have some sort of airflow in one direction or the other. I can't imagine the water being too much of an issue as you can close that side if needed, but then you do have the ventilation problem to deal with.

Clamshells are definitely the way to go for on top of the rig in my opinion. I love my ARB, but plan to move it to a trailer set up eventually since I have sleeping options in the truck in the works. Right now, I just can't justify the cost when I have a perfectly good RTT I barely use right now! hahaha

Thanks again,

E

Truck was weeping coolant fm water pump so I opted to have my local mech do that, belts, t-stat/t-stat housing/hoses since the coolant was being drained anyway.

Discovered all this after a driveway oil change

So parts were ordered.

Now of course the tailgate won’t open...awesome. More parts to order.

I’ve been working on crossbars for the RTT to carry maxtrax and maybe an eventual solar panel. I was not satisfied with off the shelf options that clamp to the Autohome gutter mount style fit kit, so I started fabbing using steel and aluminum L track:

Should be able to get the MT on this weekend, validate it all works, and then pull it for painting.

Life and times of LR ownership continue. Tailgate got stuck, closed. So that joy of a job was conducted. AB’s kit for it does make for a simple job once you get it open. If your truck is getting on and it hasn’t been replaced...

So we missed VOR which was very sad, but when the chance to hit Uwharrie came up since Scott F’s jeep was being auctioned I jumped at the chance to take my wife down there since I found it to be a neat place with great people. That turned into a phenomenal weekend.

Heading out with peeps from 36hrs.

I found the tent really didn’t effect wheeling the truck all that much (if at all) from a COG perspective.

Heading toward Daniel.

The group heading up.

The LR4 on 19’s ultimately became the discretionary vehicle-I don’t fault John at all for that.

So we played around a little further up but eventually came back down.

Having an I4WDTA trainer with you to spot helps...a lot.

Back at the trailhead we put the PT to work airing us and the Taco with us back up.

Also at the trail head Izzy discovered his LC’s tire had a near miss when the valve stem was mangled.

So we got to it, I just laugh bc 80 series...hood up and being worked on (not really...)

With the spare on we went back to UORTC for the night. The wife busted out the Kestrel 5500 to play with.

We set up the tent for a much cooler night.

Did I mention the wife has a Kestrel?

Good times with good people.

In the realm of things that work: leveling blocks:

Along with a well refined coffee setup.

Which makes the wife happy, and capable of leaving the RTT where our double bag was awesome as temps got down into the 40’s for the first time in a long time.

The beauty of the truck was it was setup to roll in about 3min and then we drove the 6hrs back to N VA without a hitch.

Oh, other than the ‘check brake pads’ light coming on. So it never stops.