Natures head composting toilet in colder climates

Fatboyz

Observer
Anybody have real world comments on using the natures head in colder climates. We will be spending the lions share of our time in Canada and Northern US. any comments on performance? Looking to go this route, Thetford cassette or just the regular rv with a black water tank.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
We used our Nature's Head way below freezing. But remember, the toilet is installed inside the heated camper.

Unlike a black tank there is no water in the toilet and nothing outside of the camper.

john61ct

Adventurer
I would just empty it if anticipating allowing the living space to freeze up.

You definitely would want good active venting if the contents needed special heating arrangements while you're living in the space.

But with a well-insulated and living space kept warm 24x7 that would not happen.

Joe917

Explorer
No problem after 4 years around the north, much of the time well below freezing. With it in a heated space there should be no reason for problems.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Assuming you follow the instructions, it should freeze without damage. However it could take several days to thaw enough to receive deposits.

As long as your living space is heated, it will compost and dehydrate without issue.

Fatboyz

Observer
Been doing some googling and youtubeing. I'm kind of leaning towards a Thetford Cassette. We often just head out for a few days on the spur of a moment and not having to fuss with the composting toilet seems like a plus. I'm torn between the model that hooks to the main water and the model with the built in tank. The plus of the built in tank is you could use non potable water in it.

Joe917

Explorer
There is no fuss with the Natures Head. Leaving it with deposits is actually the best way to use it. If you are going allow the truck to freeze, draining the freshwater system and hot water tank is a far bigger PITA. Even if you allow a well used (full) Nature's Head to freeze you can still use it if you have to, it will thaw out once you reheat the cabin. Don't even think about letting a full cassette freeze.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Had a Nature's Head on the Tiger. Have a Thetford cassette on the XPCamper. Cassette is industry standard, right? Got to be as good or better, right?

Not a chance! The Nature's Head:

-- Has no odor,

-- Lasts weeks between dumps,

-- Is easier to dump.

The cassette is MUCH more work in every way.

And, as Joe noted. You can even let it freeze!

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Been doing some googling and youtubeing. I'm kind of leaning towards a Thetford Cassette. We often just head out for a few days on the spur of a moment and not having to fuss with the composting toilet seems like a plus. I'm torn between the model that hooks to the main water and the model with the built in tank. The plus of the built in tank is you could use non potable water in it.

You should look closely at the steps to commission a cassette and prepare it for storage.

Before a trip: Fill the water tank and then add a litre of water to the cassette. (Chemicals optional, but recommended to reduce splashing when dumping.)

On the trip: Dump every three days or so. Clean the cassette - takes a LOT of water.

After the trip: Dump the cassette and fill with water for storage. (Don't let fecal material dry out inside the cassette. Don't ask why I stress this.)

With the Nature's Head.

Before a trip: Load with peat moss or similar.

On the trip: Dump the urine bottle every three days (or so). Dump the fecal material every two weeks or more.

After the trip: Dump the urine bottle and fill with water for storage to reduce crystallization in the bottle. Ignore the fecal container if you will be traveling within a month or so.

The only folks who don't like composting toilets are those who have never used one.

Last edited:

Terra Ops

Adventurer
I have owned two types of cassette toilets. One with the traditional outside cartridge and the other portable Thetford curve.
Recently finished a DIY build and decided to purchase the compost C-head. http://c-head.com/
While not the Natures head, I definitely prefer the compost over the chemical goo when emptying. Lots of other reasons why I chose
this route but the question here is about freezing. It would seem to me that water freezing in any toilet would make it inoperable and
potentially damage the unit unless a antifreeze mixture (if permissible) was used.

Fatboyz

Observer
The venting on the cassette is a small tube that goes through the floor. When I asked about cool temperatures I was wondering if the temp in the bathroom is only like 12-14C would it still work? We tried composting toilets here in our fire lookouts and they didn't work as the average temp was too low. Also how much power do they draw for the fan?

Fatboyz

Observer
Had a Nature's Head on the Tiger. Have a Thetford cassette on the XPCamper. Cassette is industry standard, right? Got to be as good or better, right?

Not a chance! The Nature's Head:

-- Has no odor,

-- Lasts weeks between dumps,

-- Is easier to dump.

The cassette is MUCH more work in every way.

And, as Joe noted. You can even let it freeze!
Hmm. Well I have a bit of time yet before I'm at a the bathroom construction point. We do have a natures head Canadian dealer. Will have to keep thinking! I'm glad to hear from someone who has had both. As you say "industry standard" if the Thetford comes in the 1/2 million $ Earthroamer it must be the best!!

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The composting action (microbes breaking down waste) actually produces some heat. So insulating the composting chamber can keep it 2-5C above ambient temps. Chemical reactions roughly double for every 10C rise in temps. Microbe action drops dramatically below 9C.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne