Nebraska: 1992 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80, triple locked, 161k miles, much more $10K

Divided_Wood

Hey guys, I am selling my 92 FJ80 that I bought last November. $10K. 161XXX miles. Located in Omaha, NE.

I love the truck, but am realizing after 6 months that I want something with more creature comforts as my daily. (I was in a 2-door Jeep before this.) My other vehicle is a ’74 Land Rover, and I’d like to get something more modern. This thing rips off-road, but between the two trucks I like wheeling the Rover more. I’ll probably end up with a pickup truck.

Anyways, here’s the story on this truck. It’s had extensive work done to it. Last November, I saw the PO’s ad (listed here for reference—you can even see some pics from my drive back in there) and fell in love. I flew out to Phoenix later that week, he picked me up at the airport, and I proceeded to drive it home to Omaha—some 1,400 miles in 2 days, problem-free. I’ve since driven it to Moab (about 1,900 miles round-trip, including a trek through the Rockies) and generally wheeled the crap out of it whenever I can. For being such a large truck, it’s like a billy goat off-road. I’ve put about 6,500 miles on it since November.

Key specs:
  • 161K miles
  • OME lift
  • RD wheels and 33” KM2s
  • Nitro 4.88 gears
  • ARB lockers front and rear, plus ARB compressor
  • ARB bumper with Warn 9.5XP winch
  • Baja Rack and Gobi Ladder
  • Big Brake upgrade up front (’93 rotors, 100-Series pads)
  • R134A A/C conversion
  • WagonGear rear storage
  • HIR bulbs and PFran referse LED bulbs
  • Rock rails
  • JVC stereo, pioneer speakers
  • No dash warning lights or other funky business
  • Aux fuse panel in center console linked to subwoofer and 3 aftermarket (always-on) 12V plugs
  • Comes with I <3 MOAB sticker, so people know you’re legit
This truck hasn’t needed much in my limited time of ownership, but I’m a chronic tinkerer so I have done a few things to it:
  • Coolant flush last December
  • Air filter change last December
  • Driver front and passenger rear courtesy light switches replaced
  • New belts last December
  • Knuckles greased, u-joints and slip yokes greased this March
  • All fluids (except trans) changed in March
  • Driver’s seat foam replaced with OEM foam—it was blown out before
  • New battery in December
  • Added underhood LED lighting and wired up the IPFs (they weren’t wired in before)
  • Put the rear bumper back on
  • Probably some other stuff I’m forgetting
You can find more information in the previous ownership threads, but several owners ago (in 2011), this truck was professionally built and looked over by a Cruiser shop, Cruiser Solutions, in New Hampshire. Here’s a link to videos of their work. This is when the lockers were added, as were the lift, tires, bumper, and winch. The radiator was replaced at that time, too. I don’t know much about the truck prior to 2011, but everything since then has been documented with receipts, all of which I have.

The PO I bought the truck from was a great guy who was rigid about maintenance, so the truck has had lots more done to it including fluids, new u-joints, distributor and plugs, new vacuum lines and hoses, a new starter, and much more. In that sense, I’d say the truck has definitely been baselined. Like I said, I drove it 1,400 miles after buying it sight unseen without issue, and would drive it to Alaska tomorrow without hesitation.

The negatives:
  • It’s a ’92 so it has a 3FE. It’s never met a gas station it didn’t like, and 0-60 time is “eventually.” That said, it will always get you where you need to go.
  • There is a rust or corrosion spot on the driver’s side fender well towards the front of the truck. Based off of the location of it, it appears to be from a coolant leak or something similar in its previous life. Doesn't leak in that spot now. The rest of the truck is free of major rust (I am from the Midwest. Trucks like this just don’t exist out here, which is why I flew to AZ to buy it.) and passed my rigorous pre-purchase inspection with flying colors. You could replace the inner fender if you wanted to, but it doesn’t seem like a must-do to me.
  • The rear ARB has one or two o-rings blown. (Verified by pulling the fill plug and feeling pressure build-up.) The locker still works (I’ve needed it off-road), but the compressor cycles nearly constantly when you turn on the rear locker. I haven’t had time to fix it yet, but the parts kit for the ARB is about $100 or so. Please note that fixing this involves pulling the axle shafts and the diff. I’ve done this on other trucks in an afternoon, but haven’t had the time to do it yet. I don’t wheel every day so it hasn’t been a major priority.
  • The IPF lights need a new relay. I’ve narrowed it down to that, but it’s a unique-sized relay and I have just neglected to purchase one.
  • Cruise control is intermittent.
  • The windows are slow to go up in the winter.
  • I dented the Roof Rack (rear top rail) off-road against a tree. The rack is still straight and true otherwise. You can see this in my first photo.
  • I also bent a rear bumper mount in Moab. The bumper fascia on the passenger side is a little crooked, but is otherwise fine. Visible in photo 2.
You’ll get a number of spare parts with the truck, most of which I bought when I bought the truck last year:

Old belts (still relatively new to my knowledge)
  • Everything to replace the fuel sock filter
  • Grommet for the firewall (steering column)
  • Fuses
  • Fusible link and junction block
  • Couple EFI relays
  • Old courtesy light switches
  • Oil plug gaskets and what’s left of my case of OEM Toyota oil filters
  • Wits’ End fuse/accessory kit
  • Wits’ End diagnostic jumper
  • Vacuum line and heater hose
  • Valve cover gasket
  • Radiator hoses
  • Spark plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, and cap o-ring
  • 3rd-row seats
I can’t claim that this truck is perfect, but I can say that I’m disclosing every issue I know about, and also that I am pretty anal about routine maintenance. While I don’t know anything about the truck prior to 2011, I know that the shop that did the work on it then was legit, and also that the guy I bought the truck from was also religious about maintenance and spent a lot of time and money making this truck run reliably and well. I obviously haven’t had the truck long enough to speak to its long-term reliability, but based off of my road trips, using it as a DD, and my conversations with the previous owner, I think this is a great truck that will treat the buyer well.

I’m in Omaha and within 15 minutes of our airport. If you want to come in from out of town to buy it I’ll pick you up and take you out to lunch before we go to the bank. Interstate 80 is easy to get to from there. Just as I did in Phoenix, I wouldn’t hesitate to take this truck anywhere. I’ll change the oil and make sure everything is in good shape before you hit the road.

Questions, or want a picture of something specific? Just ask. I’ll give you a straight answer.

Price is $10K firm. Clean Nebraska title.

Imgur album here: https://imgur.com/a/f8nhhaX

Last edited:

Happycoop

Observer
Great looking rig...if I hadn't just picked up a GX a few months back I'd be all over this (or if I knew I could sell mine before this one is gone, but that won't happen - great price point for a nicely sorted rig). GLWS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier