Need a Dutch oven recipe

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Going camping in two weeks and want to use the Dutch oven for dinner one night. I can make a real good chili in it but that's about it. Looking for a new, non vegetarian meal that is simple and tasty. I would prefer no seafood also.
Thanks!

NivekD

Roaming ROF
Dutch Oven Spare Ribs.

One slab of Spare Ribs (I prefer the St Louis trim). Cut up the ribs to fit your oven.
One onion sliced into rings.
Bottle of your favorite BBQ Sauce.

Layer onions on the bottom of oven. Place ribs over onions. Pour sauce over ribs. Try to slow cook them for at least 2.5-3 hours on low heat. You won't believe how good these are...:chowtime:

tarditi

Explorer
Mountain Man breakfast is always a favorite in my campsites... and we also like breakfast for dinner, so... does that count?

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I did one once that was a pork butt cut in the way that unrolls the whole piece of meat into one long 3/4 inch thick strip. Then we put cooked wild rice and green onions and other stuff on top, rolled it up, trussed it with butchers twine, and cooked it in the dutch oven for a while. That was super good, sorry I don't have the exact recipe but you can probably find it or something similar somewhere.

INSAYN

Adventurer
Our absolute favorite!

Eldorado Beef Casserole
Serves 4-6
12" Dutch Oven

1 lb. hamburger
1 onion, diced
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
1 (7 oz.) pitted ripe olives
1 c. cottage cheese
1 c. sour cream
1 can chopped chilies
1 lb. Monterey Jack cheese
1 pkg. nacho or taco Doritos

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
1. Fry hamburger with onion and garlic powder until browned and crumbly.
2. Add tomato sauce and slice ripe olives.
3. In a separate bowl, mix cottage cheese, sour cream and chilies.
4. Grate Monterey Jack cheese.
5. Slightly crush Doritos and line 3-quart casserole with 1/3 of them.
6. Cover with half of hamburger mixture, then half of cottage cheese mixture, then half of Jack cheese.
7. Repeat layering.

Cooking time = 45-60 minutes. (depends on wind and outside temperature)
Briquettes =24-26 (2/3rds on top, 1/3 under the Dutch Oven)

Flyinbronco

Observer
My favorite Dutch oven meal is a prime rib roast packed with rock salt.

Pour layer of rock salt in bottom of oven at least 1". Place roast on top of rock salt rib side down. Pour rock salt over roast until completely covered. Place lid on oven. Bake low and slow for 2 1/2-3 hrs. until meat temp gets to 140. Remove from coals let oven sit for 1/2 hr. pull out roast brush off rock salt slice and enjoy.

locomacdaddy

BBQ Chicken

Kinda of like the Rib recipe above...

Add chicken quarters (with or without skin), slice up potatoes, carrots and onions. Add a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce and let er' cook. So good and easy!

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
Pot roast. Really easy, but takes some time. Get chuck roast, not round roast, cut into 1/2 lb or so pieces. Heat some oil up to hot, near smoking, brown the beef on all sides, pull it away from the heat a bit. add 1/2 sliced onion, saute while stirring, until soft, not browned. Add about 6oz of beef broth and 6oz serious red wine per pound of beef to put. Don't use cooking wine. Something like a cabernet. Add quartered peeled russet potatoes, or halved red potatoes w/ peel, a couple of halved onions, and some big pieces of carrot. No celery, it'll get bitter. Add maybe 1/2 t pepper, dried tyme, 2 crushed cloves garlic and about 1 t worchestershire sauce per lb meat. Put lid on tight and cook for about 3-4 hours at around 350. It's done when the potatoes are done and the roast is falling apart tender. Depending on how much salt is in the broth it may need more, but better to under salt before serving. You'll have requests for the recipe.

coop74

Old Camping Dude
if you have a smartphone there are several apps for dutch oven recipes... also an app that will tell you by oven size how many charcoal briquettes to use.

Joanne

Adventurer
Here is a great site for recipes. The post I am linking to is their latest cookbook download:

http://www.camp-cook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6664

Hi Vegas_Nick!

I'm Vegas_Joanne. ;-) Glad you like the camp-cook site and the cook book. Mike does a really nice job on it. I didn't realize that anyone here in Vegas was on the site. Quite a few of the folks here on EP frequent it though. We need to get some of the Vegas folks together for some camping and cooking! At a minimum we should get a meet-n-greet organized.

I'm heading out around Goodsprings on Sunday and Monday to do some mine exploring with my son. Should be a good time. Weather's great this time of year.

Take care!
Joanne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne