Need advice on an 87 E350 Pathfinder for sale...quickly!

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Hi All,
I've been eyeing 4X4 vans for years. A 1987 E350 Pathfinder is available down the road. Here is a spec sheet and a picture. I haven't seen the inside yet, but am meeting the fellow tomorrow. He seems like a really nice guy that has owned the van for 8 years. Offered to let me take it for 24 hours for inspection too (which I am doing tomorrow).

What do you experts think? I really like that it's old enough that I can work on it without a dealer and could replace the engine and tranny if needed without going into debt. :sneaky: Electrical problems don't scare me. Light mech work doesn't scare me. Engine and/or tranny problems DO make me a bit nervous.

Thanks for any advice!

• mileage = 149K
  • motor = 460 with rebuilt carb (no efi)
  • gas (two tanks)
  • tranny = c6 auto
  • 2/4WD with Hi/Lo (all works, new hubs)
  • new fuel pumps
  • new battery
  • maintenance records
  • Haynes manual
  • wiring schematics
  • matching spare
  • $4500.00
Inoperative:
  • Drivers' auto window
  • dash lights
  • cruise control
Needs:
  • paint
  • alignment
  • apolstry
  • window seals
  • tires before too long

1.jpg

FWIW
Positives:
The C6 is a great trans.
Easy to work on and parts are cheap if you are doing the work yourself.
Negatives:
It's old which means long distance could be nerve racking.
An 87' 460 gets horrible gas mileage and has no more power than a more modern 5.4.
Big blocks consume oil and can run hot because of the size.
Rattles can be annoying.
Old emissions components can be aggravating.
Changing a trans in a van is easy, motor, not so much.

Figure $1000 in bearings, ball joints, bushings and all fluids/tune up parts. Tranny cooler and possibly a bigger radiator. Carbs take a little skill to set right. Plus another $1000 in tires. Then you have an interior to finish out....... IMO, after you do all of that, you have a $4500-$5000 31 year old van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz