Need another PS Pump?

xjaugie

Adventurer
While on a hunting trip last month the power steering pump began that wondrful whine I love so much. I added some lucas PS fluid. It tampered the sound but did not stop it. I ordered a new pump but have not put it on yet. It was then that I realized, I had replaced the pump exactly one year ago. The original pump last 17 years and 180,000 miles. The reman. pump lasted 12,000 miles and one year. Ok, so those miles where from Maryland to Alaska and back, but why does that matter? I went with, hopefully, a better pump this time. Has anybody else had problems with thier Power steering pumps like this?

Truck:

V6 Gen 1 access cab Tacoma
OME suspension
265/75/16 Duratacs

NoToyz

Did you flush the system out during the replacement? A newly installed pump will fail at a more frequent interval if the system is not flushed, than one that has had the system flushed. Tha's not to disregard the possibility of a faulty or just plane bad reman pump.

xjaugie

Adventurer
The system was flushed And that is what suprized me. The old fluid was replaced with new. I just guess I got a bad reman.

Expedition Leader
Reman stuff is never anywhere near the quality of OEM in my experience. Also, fully-synthetic ATF makes great power steering fluid, especially in colder climates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior