Need help deciding, Why a Tacoma over a full size truck?

KWJohnston

I am currently struggling with a new vehicle purchase choice. The vehicle will not be an extreme built, cross county overland adventure rig. My purpose will be a mildly modified truck for hunting and fishing destinations around the country, as well as access to remote camping spots in wilderness areas. There is also the need for some beach/sand driving to surf fishing spots. I may or may not choose to tow an offroad trailer at some point, who knows....

I am stuck between either a supercrew F150 or double cab Tacoma. The two are comparable in price in my area. People who favor a full size have already voiced their opinion that the extra interior room, larger bed area, greater payload and towing ability all make the F150 the better choice. But I still really like some of the Tacoma builds shown here.

Here is my question for Tacoma owners. In your opinion, what are the advantages to a Tacoma that convinced you to buy one over a full size? I will appreciate any input or opinions. Sometimes the reasons can't be justified. I just need some feedback to advantages/disadvantages, pros/cons ect.

Thanks in advance.

Dopesick

Does a bear..........
The Tacoma is measurably smaller than the F150, so getting to some of the harder to reach via tight spot or narrow trails will be much easier. I can see and understand your dilemma.

I think this statement needs more thought: "I may or may not choose to tow an offroad trailer at some point." If you're going to tow an offroad trailer, towing weight needs to be a considerable equation to what you "may want to do".

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The vehicle will not be an extreme built, cross county overland adventure rig.

But I still really like some of the Tacoma builds shown here.
I think your answer is in your question. I like a lot of the Tacoma builds here too.

But, I am never going to build a truck similar to a lot of the builds here because it doesn't suit the purposes of what i use my truck for.

KWJohnston

I have my eyes on a crew/double cab because occasionally I may have to put a child seat back there to pick up or carry my Daughter to daycare if my wife is unable to.

Whatever truck I decide on, will not be dedicated to the use described above. Nor will it be a daily driver bc I drive a paid for long ago gas saver 4 door sedan most days.

This vehicle will most likely be a part time and weekend driver for me.

KWJohnston

A Tundra, F150, Ram ect. are all full size trucks.

I was just curious if you guys and gals could offer a different perspective as to the advantages of Tacoma over a full size.

Alloy

We have a F350 and a Subaru Outback and drive logging roads when going off the pavement. The Subaru will go down roads that are over grown but sill used by ATVs. Going off the pavement by myself I like the Subaru, lighter more maneuverable and can turn it around anywhere. Going with the family we take the F350.

You'll be happy with either one because you'll use it how you can.

We had the front of the F350 wrapped and the front and sides of the Subaru wrapped.

How about resale?

Trikebubble

Adventurer
While I've never owned a Tacoma, My brother in law has one, and previous to my Tundra I drove an Xterra. For me, the two biggest benefits of the full size truck (whatever one you prefer, I just preferred the Tundra over the others) are power and interior size and comfort. Of those two, the interior size and comfort to stretch out is absolutely king. I drove 6500km to Colorado and back a few years ago in my old Xterra, in those mid-sized bucket type seats (similar to a Tacoma), and when I got home I could barely move. My back still hates me because of that trip. 2 summers ago we drove 8500km to Tuk and back in the Tundra and honestly I stepped out of my truck at the end feeling like I'd driven around the block.

For me, the benefits of the interior size and comfort of a full size truck outweigh any and every negative tick it has regarding it's overall size. (And yeah, the power ain;t bad either)

shade

If you plan to park it inside a garage, make sure it'll fit.
If you plan to have adult rear seat passengers of any size, especially on long drives, a Tacoma can be cramped.
If you plan to regularly tow a heavy (for it) trailer, a Tacoma may require you to slow down.

If you plan to go places where the size of the truck will be critical, a Tacoma can be nice.
If you're considering a used truck, I highly suggest you compare a 2nd gen & 3rd gen Tacoma.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
If you have a place to park it and aren't worried about fitting and maneuverability on trails then a full size probably makes sense. The Tacoma has grown quite significantly but it's still smaller. For me it's a question that's answered by living in the old part of town with narrow drive ways. Either way I don't have any problems with its comfort but that's such a subjective thing. I just fit in small Toyota trucks and always have felt fine in them.

ulyist

I wish you could buy a Tacoma for the price of a super cab f150 here. Probably 33 to 35k for the Ford, 43 for the Tacoma or 47k if you want a manual. Of course that’s all Canadian, and I’m in Alberta it cold be regional. I’ve had Tacoma’s, 4runners and a GX, a couple 1/2 ton GMC and a ram 3500.

The Tacoma will be easier in the city, some trails you will have multiple line options instead of one in a full size, easier to get unstuck and some places 4000lbs stays on top of the mud when 5000-8000lbs sink.

If I still lived in the country it would be full size, but living in the city the GX is the one I’d get. Oh and Lexus doesn’t have the resale of Toyota so here at least, a used GX can be had for less then a Tacoma or 4Runner. New I’d go taco for the manual and the resale. Just my two sense.

tacototheworld

I chose a Tacoma instead of a full-size PU to take my wife and I around the world starting this May. It was due to its worldwide dealer Network even if they have no direct experience with Tacoma’s, reputation for reliability, and it’s track which matches other mid-size trucks and vehicles found around the world. If I was sticking to North and South America I would get a three-quarter ton truck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles