Need help deciding, Why a Tacoma over a full size truck?

phsycle

Adventurer
Quick search came up with this. Whether true or not, don’t know.

“Okay P.I. retards! Here's what I found out: I first contacted John Rush (owner of John's 4x4) in Boulder, CO. He actually has this exact Warn poster on his showroom floor. Here is what he said: "Craig, I do not know where this was taken but I do know that it is a "cropped" picture. The trail was wider than what the picture shows. John Rush" === I also contacted Warn, and here is what they said: "Craig, That was not an actual trail rather than just crafty placement of a vehicle on the side of a forest service road up in the North Cascades (Washington) assisted by some photo editing. Todd Wright Warn Technical Service Representative" === No word from either on the age of the picture.Here's what we need to do now: Find someone in Washington to look at old DMV databases for the license plate "PE 1585." Find out who owned the Jeep and call the dude to ask them for more info. Any takers?I'm curious " Debate over:wave:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I'll reserve my very strong opinion on Tacoma's and just advise you to check the classifieds section...

The Tacoma is HANDS DOWN the most common truck there (and most places) for sale, and very often have something in the ad along the lines of "moving up to bigger vehicle, etc..."

Personally know 4 different folks that bought Tacos and sold them within a year for something bigger.

Internet heroes like to say "You wont fit where to go" and i assure you i put my Tundra anywhere and everywhere Tacos went! :)

That, and they are ungodly expensive and overpriced for what they actually are / can do, comparatively speaking

My .02

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

I'll reserve my very strong opinion on Tacoma's and just advise you to check the classifieds section...

The Tacoma is HANDS DOWN the most common truck there (and most places) for sale, and very often have something in the ad along the lines of "moving up to bigger vehicle, etc..."

Personally know 4 different folks that bought Tacos and sold them within a year for something bigger.

Internet heroes like to say "You wont fit where to go" and i assure you i put my Tundra anywhere and everywhere Tacos went! :)

That, and they are ungodly expensive and overpriced for what they actually are / can do, comparatively speaking

My .02

A friend of mine had to sell his three year old Tacoma after buying a travel trailer. Evidently a family of four and a 5500 lb travel trailer was more than it could drag down the road with out any drama. Even though he was under the GVW, the Camry motor under the hood was very displeased with the idea.

He now has a Ram and couldn't be happier.

D

Deleted member 9101

I agree 100%. My F150 was over a thousand dollars cheaper out the door than a comparably equipped Tacoma and it does everything better.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
A friend of mine had to sell his three year old Tacoma after buying a travel trailer. Evidently a family of four and a 5500 lb travel trailer was more than it could drag down the road with out any drama. Even though he was under the GVW, the Camry motor under the hood was very displeased with the idea.

That seems like setting yourself up for disappointment. The laws of physics are immutable no matter what the marketing drones might try to sell you otherwise.

D

Deleted member 9101

That seems like setting yourself up for disappointment. The laws of physics are immutable no matter what the marketing drones might try to sell you otherwise.

Yep! He was livid over it. Both the local Toyota dealership and RV place said that it would tow it with no problem. As soon as he got on the interstate he realized that they were both very wrong. He had trouble maintaining 65mph up any form on incline.

His Ram drags the same trailer at 75 with no fuss and gets better fuel economy doing so.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yep! He was livid over it. Both the local Toyota dealership and RV place said that it would tow it with no problem. As soon as he got on the interstate he realized that they were both very wrong. He had trouble maintaining 65mph up any form on incline.

His Ram drags the same trailer at 75 with no fuss and gets better fuel economy doing so.
I said that earlier, I just don't understand why people buy a small (or now midsize) truck and then are surprised that it's small. There are some knuckleheads like me that wanted a small truck and go in eyes open. I'm on the other end of the spectrum trying to find a small truck that's actually small.

shade

And if your friend decides to go into the earth moving business and needs to tow a D9, I doubt their puny Ram will be happy.

What's the point of this type of anecdote?

shade

I said that earlier, I just don't understand why people buy a small (or now midsize) truck and then are surprised that it's small. There are some knuckleheads like me that wanted a small truck and go in eyes open. I'm on the other end of the spectrum trying to find a small truck that's actually small.
Yep.

I doubt any vehicle performs great at the edge of their performance specs; that's how they're determined. I'm sure there are many owners with 3/4 ton SRW pickups that regret not buying the next step or two up in a line.

Relying on the opinion of an unknown salesperson to tell you if it's a good idea to push the envelope isn't very wise, IMO. If they can't get you to bite on a more expensive model, they're financial motivated to at least get you to buy a lesser model, even if it barely meets your needs on paper. "No problem, buddy!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior