Need help deciding, Why a Tacoma over a full size truck?

phsycle

Adventurer
Back in to a parking spot and park far. It’s really not that big of a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I park far all the time. I actually prefer parking further away.
But there are times when I’m headed to a meeting in a small office complex with a limited number of spots and no other spaces around. Cringe when I have to park in between a Suburban and a beat up truck.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The difference between a midsize and full-size isn’t that much these days. We’re talking ~5” Difference in width, maybe 12” avg length. Super tight trails (and parking stalls) are still much more manageable in a midsize, though most full-size will fit. I had just done Black Bear Pass thinking no way I’d ever take a full-size down, only to find a video of a 3/4 ton Ram, F150, and a Raptor at 87” wide going down the trail.
But I will say some parking spots, I would’ve parked a Tacoma with no problems but would not want to attempt in a full-size. Maybe it’d fit but I don’t want to do 30-pt turns or get riddled with door dings.
I thought the same living in the Bay Area even having a rental I maintain in SF. I bought a 2019 Expedition. Its wide but has a turning radius slightly larger than my old Subaru and identical height as my 06 Sequoia. The 360 camera system is awesome in tight places I park it in tight under ground parking garages easier than my Subaru now (it didn’t have cameras). SF parking is slightly more challenging given in my rental neighborhood most parking is 190 inches between driveways which is why I bought a J80 when I lived there. Now I just go on Tuesdays and arrive right around street sweep has passed and grab a big spot across the street from my rental. Hasn’t been an issue yet. Except the Expedition actually wont fit through the 1920’s carriage doors to the garage too wide. My 06 Sequoia did fit. As did the neighbors 91 GMC 2500 8ft bed pickup. The wide stuff now is too wide.

phsycle

Adventurer
I thought the same living in the Bay Area even having a rental I maintain in SF. I bought a 2019 Expedition. Its wide but has a turning radius slightly larger than my old Subaru and identical height as my 06 Sequoia. The 360 camera system is awesome in tight places I park it in tight under ground parking garages easier than my Subaru now (it didn’t have cameras). SF parking is slightly more challenging given in my rental neighborhood most parking is 190 inches between driveways which is why I bought a J80 when I lived there. Now I just go on Tuesdays and arrive right around street sweep has passed and grab a big spot across the street from my rental. Hasn’t been an issue yet. Except the Expedition actually wont fit through the 1920’s carriage doors to the garage too wide. My 06 Sequoia did fit. As did the neighbors 91 GMC 2500 8ft bed pickup. The wide stuff now is too wide.

That 360 view is as innovative and useful as the rear backup camera was when they first came out.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
LOL, our house back in Denver still had its original garage and rolling doors from 1920. I put a regular overhead door on the alley side but I kept the old doors operational because my truck would just barely fit inside. So when I'd want to work on it without leaving the alley door open I'd park it with its rear hanging outside. Plus having front and rear garage doors is just generally handy.

IMG_0941_mid.jpg

imelda_1_mid.jpg

phsycle

Adventurer
LOL, our house back in Denver still had its original garage and rolling doors from 1920. I put a regular overhead door on the alley side but I kept the old doors operational because my truck would just barely fit inside. So when I'd want to work on it without leaving the alley door open I'd park it with its rear hanging outside. Plus having front and rear garage doors is just generally handy.

View attachment 571063

View attachment 571065

Ahh. I'd love to someday find a Pickup that clean and swap a 3RZ in it.

DaveInDenver

Ahh. I'd love to someday find a Pickup that clean and swap a 3RZ in it.
That was 2006 or so, it was pretty rough when I sold it 10 years after those photos were taken... I'd love to find another 3rd gen but the nice ones are getting rare.

phsycle

Adventurer
That was 2006 or so, it was pretty rough when I sold it 10 years after those photos were taken... I'd love to find another 3rd gen but the nice ones are getting rare.

Man, what you say was rough 10 years ago, would seem pristine compared to what I'm finding these days. Almost impossible find a nice, stock example, unless you happen to find one in a barn in AZ.

DaveInDenver

Man, what you say was rough 10 years ago, would seem pristine compared to what I'm finding these days. Almost impossible find a nice, stock example, unless you happen to find one in a barn in AZ.
What I mean is when I sold it in 2015 it had been pretty beat up. In 2006 it was early in its evolution. I bought the truck in 2000, stuck a WilderNest on it in 2001 and just drove it until about 2004 or so. Then it started getting built up, banged through trails for years, built down and then eventually replaced with my Tacoma in 2015.

IMG_3409_mid.jpg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
What I mean is when I sold it in 2015 it had been pretty beat up. In 2006 it was early in its evolution. I bought the truck in 2000, stuck a WilderNest on it in 2001 and just drove it until about 2004 or so. Then it started getting built up, banged through trails for years, built down and then eventually replaced with my Tacoma in 2015.

View attachment 571074

Ah ok. But I don't see any rust, paint still looks good. I casually look every now and then, but I've given up finding a clean one. I'll just wish for Toyota to bring the 70-series over someday (wish is the key word).

DaveInDenver

Ah ok. But I don't see any rust, paint still looks good. I casually look every now and then, but I've given up finding a clean one. I'll just wish for Toyota to bring the 70-series over someday (wish is the key word).
I took good care of Imelda the Hilux where it counted but I didn't baby the old girl.

IMG_4078_mid.jpg

IMG_4085_mid.jpg

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
No way I'd pull that trailer with any midsize. If that trailer is 5,500 lbs, that truck is over it's payload and tow rating. (I'm guessing payload around 1,100 - 1,200 and tow rating at 6,400 lbs?)

Our holiday trailer is 23' hitch to bumper & 3,900 lbs empty. I was on the fence about even trying to tow it with a midsize....

So do ford owners or Jeep owners or Land Rover owners

grogie

Like to Camp
I recently bought a new Tacoma (I buy new as I keep my vehicles a long time). My ideal setup would be a 2500 Cummins Ram with an Alaskan camper. The 2500 for plenty of power and payload, and an Alaskan for long distance travel. However that can be around $100k for that setup, which I’m on a plan to be able to retire someday, and well I'm not retired anyway with that kind of time on hands! My usually trips are long weekends and an occasional two-week road trip.

I did look at a 1500 Ram and GMC. Interesting how you can get a $50k MSRP truck for around $38k! They’re nice with a lot of technology, but having experience with multiple “Chrysler” vehicles in the past, one never knows what repairs will be in order at 8+ years? I expect the Tacoma to have less issues longterm.

The price on the Tacoma was also reasonable in the mid-30s. It’s the TRD Off-road package with the basics, including a rear locker. I also went with an Access Cab with the 6 ft. bed, as I didn’t need the rear seats and I’d rather have that interior space as bed space. My Snomaster fridge also just fits in behind the front seats.

I do like the size of the Tacoma. I also have a 4Runner, which I thought felt big, but I can feel the longer length of the Tacoma. I’ve always had small vehicles, and I'm coming from a Jeep TJ that has a lot of flex and is very maneuverable. Size generally isn’t an issue off-road, but I have had full-size trucks try to follow my TJ and just couldn’t.

With a Tacoma, it looks very easy to run at close to over GVWR. Seems like automatically, even to run at half its total 1140# payload that I need to do some suspension work. I’m not opposed to that, but doing so with also getting a lift and larger tires, and there goes the already not impressive MPG. I’m use to traveling light and watching what options I put on, which has to be done here as well. It can also tow more than my TJ can, should I want to. I have not decided what I'm going to do with it yet? The simplest thing to do is to add a bed rack, and the Tepui tent that I already own, which I can see why a lot of owners do that kind of setup. Or something like a Go Fast?

I don’t mind the transmission with its gearing. It’s actually similar to my TJ. I find the Tacoma fun to drive, visibility, especially with the Access Cab is excellent, the “OR” package has a nice ride, and plenty of options to modify it. Plus, it's nice to finally have a pickup for home duties. I can also "just barely" fit the Tacoma in my tight garage. In 15 years, I think I'll still be happy with it, but at that time I'll be retired and ready for that Alaskan camper...

sAKtwM.jpg

E8ZQ4J.jpg

phsycle

Adventurer
I recently bought a new Tacoma (I buy new as I keep my vehicles a long time). My ideal setup would be a 2500 Cummins Ram with an Alaskan camper. The 2500 for plenty of power and payload, and an Alaskan for long distance travel. However that can be around $100k for that setup, which I’m on a plan to be able to retire someday, and well I'm not retired anyway with that kind of time on hands! My usually trips are long weekends and an occasional two-week road trip.

I did look at a 1500 Ram and GMC. Interesting how you can get a $50k MSRP truck for around $38k! They’re nice with a lot of technology, but having experience with multiple “Chrysler” vehicles in the past, one never knows what repairs will be in order at 8+ years? I expect the Tacoma to have less issues longterm.

The price on the Tacoma was also reasonable in the mid-30s. It’s the TRD Off-road package with the basics, including a rear locker. I also went with an Access Cab with the 6 ft. bed, as I didn’t need the rear seats and I’d rather have that interior space as bed space. My Snomaster fridge also just fits in behind the front seats.

I do like the size of the Tacoma. I also have a 4Runner, which I thought felt big, but I can feel the longer length of the Tacoma. I’ve always had small vehicles, and I'm coming from a Jeep TJ that has a lot of flex and is very maneuverable. Size generally isn’t an issue off-road, but I have had full-size trucks try to follow my TJ and just couldn’t.

With a Tacoma, it looks very easy to run at close to over GVWR. Seems like automatically, even to run at half its total 1140# payload that I need to do some suspension work. I’m not opposed to that, but doing so with also getting a lift and larger tires, and there goes the already not impressive MPG. I’m use to traveling light and watching what options I put on, which has to be done here as well. It can also tow more than my TJ can, should I want to. I have not decided what I'm going to do with it yet? The simplest thing to do is to add a bed rack, and the Tepui tent that I already own, which I can see why a lot of owners do that kind of setup. Or something like a Go Fast?

I don’t mind the transmission with its gearing. It’s actually similar to my TJ. I find the Tacoma fun to drive, visibility, especially with the Access Cab is excellent, the “OR” package has a nice ride, and plenty of options to modify it. Plus, it's nice to finally have a pickup for home duties. I can also "just barely" fit the Tacoma in my tight garage. In 15 years, I think I'll still be happy with it, but at that time I'll be retired and ready for that Alaskan camper...

sAKtwM.jpg

E8ZQ4J.jpg

I’d keep it as simple and light as possible. And as versatile as possible.
I would go with a high rise shell. Use a cot or mattress for camping. Then a quick disassembly for home duties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000