Need help deciding, Why a Tacoma over a full size truck?

phsycle

Adventurer
I really am enjoying my 2019 Tacoma TRD OR. Although the Goodyear Wrangler tires are OEM (cheaper built) then the same non OEM versions, at least as far as traction, I've had no complaints in rain to light snow in rear wheel drive. I'll be curious about wear? I could see going up a size to 265/75/16, but I've read it lessens MPG by 2?

It really does feel like a solid built vehicle that will last. Driving is fun and ride nice, solid, and I like the bit of bounce it has. I step on the gas and it cruises. MPG is so far less then I was hoping, but I'm not surprised as I also have an 4R that is less and it's a bit of a Toyota truck deal.

Visibility is also very good, and it's quickly showing that it's great to have a vehicle this size with a bed. Plenty of room inside my access cab. It's overall a big enough pickup. Today I picked up my large walk behind mower from getting serviced and stopped by Menards for peat moss. I use to cram dirty junk in a car's trunk or inside the clean interior of an SUV. A midsize pickup really does make a lot of sense. I'm not planning to tow a house boat after all.

EOj02f.jpg

I'm still not sure what I plan to do with it as far as off-road modifications? One thing is for sure that I want to keep it light weight like I've done with my Jeep TJ. Keep her nimble!

Going to 265/75/16 will result in ~2mpg loss overall. Due to larger tire but also you’re going to a tougher/heavier LT-rated tire. The first thing I did when I got my last Tacoma is get that size on a Cooper ST Maxx. Great tires.

I don’t think you should do much of anything else. For now. Just upgrade as necessary. Not as capable as your TJ but they are plenty capable. LWB wheeling is a little different but has a lot of advantages.

dman93

Adventurer
Going to 265/75/16 will result in ~2mpg loss overall. Due to larger tire but also you’re going to a tougher/heavier LT-rated tire. The first thing I did when I got my last Tacoma is get that size on a Cooper ST Maxx. Great tires.

I don’t think you should do much of anything else. For now. Just upgrade as necessary. Not as capable as your TJ but they are plenty capable. LWB wheeling is a little different but has a lot of advantages.
I’ve got about 30K miles on my KO2 265/75-16’s, Load Range E, and I have indeed noticed about a 2 mpg loss over that distance compared to the 40K mikes I put on my OEM Goodyears. I think about 0.5 of that is the larger diameter throwing the odometer off, but the rest is clearly weight and perhaps rolling resistance. I’m actually thinking of dropping to an LT245/75-16 when these wear out, though that may take a while.

phsycle

Adventurer
I’ve got about 30K miles on my KO2 265/75-16’s, Load Range E, and I have indeed noticed about a 2 mpg loss over that distance compared to the 40K mikes I put on my OEM Goodyears. I think about 0.5 of that is the larger diameter throwing the odometer off, but the rest is clearly weight and perhaps rolling resistance. I’m actually thinking of dropping to an LT245/75-16 when these wear out, though that may take a while.

I had that size (245/75/16) on a 1st gen Tacoma. Didn’t care for it. Smaller sidewalls meant rougher ride. Looked too small for the truck as well (and we’re talking about a 1st gen!). Plus the MPG wasn’t any different than 265/75/16’s (or 235/85/16).

If you’re going to go down in size, just go back to stock 265/70/16 size in KO2’s.

dman93

Adventurer
If you’re going to go down in size, just go back to stock 265/70/16 size in KO2’s.
I’m pretty sure the OEM size in the KO2 is a P metric tire. Probably not a big deal but I did have a rock cut in one of the Goodyear’s plus a small hole in another that has to be plugged, while the Load Range E tires have been perfect. Also, I think the sidewall height on the 245/75’s is the same as the 265/70’s, since the overall diameter is the same. My new truck fund has evaporated in the past month so I’ll stick with the Taco for a while.
EDIT: It looks like the 265/70 is now available in a load range E, which wasn’t the case two years ago. A good solution for Tacoma’s.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I’m pretty sure the OEM size in the KO2 is a P metric tire. Probably not a big deal but I did have a rock cut in one of the Goodyear’s plus a small hole in another that has to be plugged, while the Load Range E tires have been perfect. Also, I think the sidewall height on the 245/75’s is the same as the 265/70’s, since the overall diameter is the same. My new truck fund has evaporated in the past month so I’ll stick with the Taco for a while.
EDIT: It looks like the 265/70 is now available in a load range E, which wasn’t the case two years ago. A good solution for Tacoma’s.

All KO2’s are LT (and 265/70/16 in LR E as you found). No P-rated in that model. You might be thinking of the BFG Rugged Trail that came stock and in P rated. Those tires were garbage.

The 245’s felt a little smaller. Size dimensions does show slightly smaller overall diameter compared to stock 265/70/16. Not a huge deal, especially if you don’t care about the looks. I just didn’t care for it, since there were really no advantages to that size.

grogie

Like to Camp

What I'm thinking about is to get another set of wheels with larger, more aggressive tires for trip use. I can keep the stock tires and get the miles out of them, and that size tire for daily use as my Tacoma is my daily driver. My Jeep TJ has never been a daily driver and has Goodyear MT/Rs, and although a bit loud and a MPG factor, they throw dirt when needed.

The stock Tacoma has really good clearance as it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94