Need help deciding, Why a Tacoma over a full size truck?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
After looking at multiple used Tacoma's and F150's lately, I'm probably going for the F150. I say probably because I have not found the exact truck I'm going to buy just yet. When the right deal pops up I'm ready to pull the trigger.

If I was looking for something just for my personal use to get me into Fishing and Hunting areas I would go with a Tacoma. I love the tight , nimble way that they handle. I feel like as a pure off road trail vehicle I would love it. Easy to turn around in tight areas, and with good ground clearance. For just me, the interior would hold whatever personal things I would carry, and the bed is sufficient to carry all the gear and dirty stuff. I REALLY wish I could get one just as a personal toy. The trouble is that like most people, my vehicle also has to work for the needs of the family.

The interior room of the F150 is massive. That makes it much better for the times I may have to load and unload my daughters car seat. I can imagine that in the future my trips outdoors may involve the three of us rather than just me. That may turn out to be a fantasy and if so I may regret not getting the Tacoma. If I'm honest.... the biggest reason in favor of the F150 is price. I see plenty of Crew Cab 4x4 F150's with decent mileage selling for thousands less than a Tacoma. If the prices were anywhere close to the same I would still be struggling with a decision. I'm not sold on the eco boost V6, so I plan on getting the V8. Just because it is a less complicated power plant.

If any die hard Tacoma fans want to talk me down off the ledge, I'm still willing to listen.

I went from the yota 4.7 to the 3.5 Ecoboost. I have zero regrets and not worried. I figure $1200 will go farther on the Eco boost than the Timing service on the 4.7 lol.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If the average American was not so damn FAT (excuse me "Obese") the new "Mid-Size" class truck would not be the same size as the "Full Size" truck of 20 years ago!
US Coast Guard is the Agency that sets passenger weights. You know the plate on boats and aircraft seating/weights. USCG upped it I think 2 years ago. 120/160 F/M. Today its 180 for all adults. I blame central heating and Walmart

State weight average data Would be interesting. I know my Indiana family exceeds load ratings every time they drive thru Taco Bell.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

IIRC the difference in weight between a Tacoma and F150 was about 1000 pounds if they were of similar configuration.

When I was truck shopping (2017) I first looked at the Tacoma. As if the small interior, laughable acceleration, obnoxious price, poor fuel economy, and ride were not enough to dissuade me... I tried fitting my daughters rear facing child seat in it and that was the final deal breaker.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
IIRC the difference in weight between a Tacoma and F150 was about 1000 pounds if they were of similar configuration.

When I was truck shopping (2017) I first looked at the Tacoma. As if the small interior, laughable acceleration, obnoxious price, poor fuel economy, and ride were not enough to dissuade me... I tried fitting my daughters rear facing child seat in it and that was the final deal breaker.
Yeah same here. I thought sitting in my moms car without moving the seat was bad. I’m not even a big guy and actually couldn’t get into the Taco with rear facing seat center line rear. Only option was passenger side which ment it was basically a 1.5 seat vehicle ?

D

Deleted member 9101

Yeah same here. I thought sitting in my moms car without moving the seat was bad. I’m not even a big guy and actually couldn’t get into the Taco with rear facing seat center line rear. Only option was passenger side which ment it was basically a 1.5 seat vehicle ?

Yep... I'm 5'9 and ~185 and I felt cramped. It was kinda disappointing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior