Need help deciding, Why a Tacoma over a full size truck?

shade

It might be time for an Access Cab Tacoma
Starting over, I'd probably get an Access Cab for the longer bed, but I needed the Double Cab when I bought my Tacoma. If the rear seats aren't used, the extra bed length may be a better use of the space.

phsycle

Adventurer
Despite the usual forum BS I’ve actually been finding this thread interesting. I’m a mostly happy 3rd gen Tacoma owner, DCSB, but hankering for a longer bed to sleep in when weather or other conditions make ground tenting a hassle. In my town even the “shorter” Taco can be a challenge in tight parking lots and it won’t fit either my garage or my driveway (length) so a DCLB is out of the question. And though the powertrain (V6 and AT) isn’t the best, I’ve learned to live with it over 70K miles. Really, my only complaint is mpg. On a recent freeway trip with grades and heavy winds from Arizona to Riverside County I averaged 14.2 mpg over 250 miles. that’s Tundra territory. A slower, flat freeway run can net 20+ , though, which is still no better than an EcoBoost let along 3.0 diesel.

My friend’s Coyote 5.0 F150 gets over 15 with his FWC mounted and almost 19 empty, and it feels much more powerful with shifting barely noticeable. But my truck is definitely more nimble and my DC is far more comfortable in back than his SuperCab ... a bit apples-oranges, but adding the 6.5’ bed to a Crew Cab really makes for a long rig, and 5.5’ isn’t enough to sleep in. It might be time for an Access Cab Tacoma, or maybe a ZR2 Duramax, and I quit being the shuttle guy, which my Taco’s back seat leads too.

if you still wanted passenger space, what about a 4Runner? Back seats lay down and you can camp in the back. Much shorter than the Taco for daily duties.

But if you don’t want back seats, reg cab F150 would be cool. It’d be an absolute rocket with the 5.0 (or 2.7). XL, rear locker, and you’re good to go.

dman93

Adventurer
if you still wanted passenger space, what about a 4Runner? Back seats lay down and you can camp in the back. Much shorter than the Taco for daily duties.

But if you don’t want back seats, reg cab F150 would be cool. It’d be an absolute rocket with the 5.0 (or 2.7). XL, rear locker, and you’re good to go.
I want a pickup. But regular cab XL FX4 F150 is intriguing. A bit of space behind the seats, and room for a small duffle - or a 3rd person - between the driver and passenger. I haven’t had a V8 since my 1981 Firebird. And I’m sure a modern Coyote has 2.5x the horsepower and gets much better mpg.

Shredgnar

Just traded in my 2013 F150 for a new Tacoma TRD Off Road. So let me justify my decision:
Main reason was because I already had to replace the Ford V8 engine (not covered by warranty Looooooong story) and the tranny was seeming like it was starting to slip, and the 4wd was shifting funky. Just wanted to ditch it before I had to deal with anything else.

I also never liked driving or parking the damn thing, and 4 wheeling on even moderately rough roads was a challenge (no lift, but BFG KO2's) because of the long wheelbase, width, and poor visibility. It also sounded like it was gonna rattle apart on even just rough paved roads. Suicide door setup was always loose.

Conversely, the Taco is a nice, light, smooth ride that just feels like quality. I was able to hunt down a manual transmission which I missed having since going to the full size F150. Downside was the shorter bed, which I'll probably compensate for with a RTT or trailer by summer. Just need to throw some decent tires on it and it'll go most places that I want to get into at least.

Ducstrom

It'd be interesting to see if certain age demographics play a roll in these truck purchases. I am talking newer purchased vehicles, purchased as a primary vehicle for personal use.

I get the impression that midsized trucks are more of a life style vehicle. Whereas the full size is more of a jack of all trades,but master of none

Midsize - 20-40s?
Full-size - 30-60s?

phsycle

Adventurer
It'd be interesting to see if certain age demographics play a roll in these truck purchases. I am talking newer purchased vehicles, purchased as a primary vehicle for personal use.

I get the impression that midsized trucks are more of a life style vehicle. Whereas the full size is more of a jack of all trades,but master of none

Midsize - 20-40s?
Full-size - 30-60s?

Probably right on the age range. Which may also coincide with size of family. In my single days, Tacoma was awesome. With 3 kids, not so much (found out first hand with a 3rd gen). But I could see going back to a midsize (prob a Gladiator) once the oldest starts driving.

dman93

Adventurer

Midsize - 20-40s?
Full-size - 30-60s?
I’m in my mid-60’s and have never owned a full size truck. 4WD Datsun 720, Ford Ranger, 80 Series LC, T100 and now a 3rd gen Tacoma. And all have been “lifestyle” vehicles, and I don’t use that term pejoratively. For example, the 80 Series was a perfect fit for a lifestyle that included ‘wheeling on the weekend and carpooling six kids on a school field trip on Monday.

nickw

Adventurer
Despite the usual forum BS I’ve actually been finding this thread interesting. I’m a mostly happy 3rd gen Tacoma owner, DCSB, but hankering for a longer bed to sleep in when weather or other conditions make ground tenting a hassle. In my town even the “shorter” Taco can be a challenge in tight parking lots and it won’t fit either my garage or my driveway (length) so a DCLB is out of the question. And though the powertrain (V6 and AT) isn’t the best, I’ve learned to live with it over 70K miles. Really, my only complaint is mpg. On a recent freeway trip with grades and heavy winds from Arizona to Riverside County I averaged 14.2 mpg over 250 miles. that’s Tundra territory. A slower, flat freeway run can net 20+ , though, which is still no better than an EcoBoost let along 3.0 diesel.

My friend’s Coyote 5.0 F150 gets over 15 with his FWC mounted and almost 19 empty, and it feels much more powerful with shifting barely noticeable. But my truck is definitely more nimble and my DC is far more comfortable in back than his SuperCab ... a bit apples-oranges, but adding the 6.5’ bed to a Crew Cab really makes for a long rig, and 5.5’ isn’t enough to sleep in. It might be time for an Access Cab Tacoma, or maybe a ZR2 Duramax, and I quit being the shuttle guy, which my Taco’s back seat leads too.
If I was in your situation and couldn't park in garage and didn't need to park in city, I'd step up to a full-size without hesitation, probably a access cab, 6.5 bed. My garage is now full of toys so I park outside but I still hit the city, parking garages, etc which is a PITA as is with my crew cab short box Ranger let alone a full size pickup. Seems like the parking garages are getting smaller and smaller but realize the trucks are just getting bigger!

dman93

Adventurer
If I was in your situation and couldn't park in garage and didn't need to park in city, I'd step up to a full-size without hesitation, probably a access cab, 6.5 bed. My garage is now full of toys so I park outside but I still hit the city, parking garages, etc which is a PITA as is with my crew cab short box Ranger let alone a full size pickup. Seems like the parking garages are getting smaller and smaller but realize the trucks are just getting bigger!
I park on the street anyway because my DCSB Tacoma is too long for the garage, even too long for the driveway, and I do live in a city as well. I’m trying to rationalize a full-size by thinking I’d never actually use it town ... I already walk and bike a lot, maybe use my dual-sport more for errands or even get an eBike cargo bike. But now I’m thinking whether a Suburban might be a good enclosed camping vehicle, and keep my Taco as an open bed truck. Social distancing is not good for vehicle decision making.

nickw

Adventurer
I park on the street anyway because my DCSB Tacoma is too long for the garage, even too long for the driveway, and I do live in a city as well. I’m trying to rationalize a full-size by thinking I’d never actually use it town ... I already walk and bike a lot, maybe use my dual-sport more for errands or even get an eBike cargo bike. But now I’m thinking whether a Suburban might be a good enclosed camping vehicle, and keep my Taco as an open bed truck. Social distancing is not good for vehicle decision making.
Ha :)

I bet you'd be better off with a full size crew cab for do-it-all duty over two rigs IMO...

grogie

Like to Camp
Conversely, the Taco is a nice, light, smooth ride that just feels like quality. I was able to hunt down a manual transmission which I missed having since going to the full size F150. Downside was the shorter bed, which I'll probably compensate for with a RTT or trailer by summer. Just need to throw some decent tires on it and it'll go most places that I want to get into at least.

I really am enjoying my 2019 Tacoma TRD OR. Although the Goodyear Wrangler tires are OEM (cheaper built) then the same non OEM versions, at least as far as traction, I've had no complaints in rain to light snow in rear wheel drive. I'll be curious about wear? I could see going up a size to 265/75/16, but I've read it lessens MPG by 2?

It really does feel like a solid built vehicle that will last. Driving is fun and ride nice, solid, and I like the bit of bounce it has. I step on the gas and it cruises. MPG is so far less then I was hoping, but I'm not surprised as I also have an 4R that is less and it's a bit of a Toyota truck deal.

Visibility is also very good, and it's quickly showing that it's great to have a vehicle this size with a bed. Plenty of room inside my access cab. It's overall a big enough pickup. Today I picked up my large walk behind mower from getting serviced and stopped by Menards for peat moss. I use to cram dirty junk in a car's trunk or inside the clean interior of an SUV. A midsize pickup really does make a lot of sense. I'm not planning to tow a house boat after all.

EOj02f.jpg

I'm still not sure what I plan to do with it as far as off-road modifications? One thing is for sure that I want to keep it light weight like I've done with my Jeep TJ. Keep her nimble!

MattF350

Observer
In my old Dakota, I thought parking garages were tight. My F350 can only dream to navigate them.

billiebob

Which may also coincide with size of family.
this ^^^^

Single I was a TransAm, Corvette guy.
Married a GrandPrix guy.
With kids, F250 Crewcab was the choice.
Kids in college, me a wife, a dog, I've been a Wrangler guy ever since with no back seat.

Retired I might be an anomoly but I'll never buy anything with 4 doors again.

trlr 019.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior