Need help making a decision on a LR purchase.

Lecoq

Explorer
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some guidance. I'm currently looking at adding or replacing a vehicle. I have my mind set on a 2003 Land Rover Discovery II with 90,000 miles on it. It's a 7 passenger, which is important to me.

Now, the reason I'm looking for advice is this, it has a few issues that bother me. The radio only emits sound from the driver's door speakers. All the other speakers are dead. The driver side rear window no longer goes up or down. It also has an oil leak from the top driver side of the engine.

The price is around $8000. Is there anything major I should worry about or are these common issues that can be addressed? I'm fairly handy and have access to a large selection of tools.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/opinions.

KyleT

Explorer
I would not pay more than 4-5000 for a 03 disco (or any disco for that matter) in perfect shape. they are not worth what people are asking.

03/04 are known for two huge issues. exploding oil pumps and blocks with loose liners. both are only fixable with a new/used good engine. the issues you speak of can be pricey if its not a simple part failure.

and be sure you know how tiny the rear seats are.

I have seen a few 05/06 LR3 se7's in the 10-11k range now.

stonepa

Observer
If this is to be a daily driver I would keep looking. If you must have a Land Rover, go with an LR3. Much more reliable in most people's experience. If you need room for 7-8, you could also look at an early 2000's Land Cruiser with the 3rd row seat.

Lecoq

Explorer
I haven't decided yet if it's going to be a daily. I still have my Pathfinder. The seller has said he's willing to go down to $7000. I'll get the vehicle inspected on Monday and go from there.

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
I just purchased an '04 with a few minor quirks for $2k less (same window issue and a few minor elec issues).

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Hi guys,

Now, the reason I'm looking for advice is this, it has a few issues that bother me. The radio only emits sound from the driver's door speakers. All the other speakers are dead.

Could be the factory amp or head unit. They are easy to find used or just swap in an aftermarket unit.

The driver side rear window no longer goes up or down..

This is very common and more than likely a window regulator. We sell them for less then $50

It also has an oil leak from the top driver side of the engine.

This could be the common valve cover gasket leak. Again it is a cheep fix. The gaskets are less the $20

I'm fairly handy and have access to a large selection of tools.

You should be able to fix all the above issues with little effort.

d67u57

Adventurer
unless it was really low mileaged and with all papers FROM the dealer,stay away.

ive went to see quite a few. last one the guy himself told me 'its a money pit'

czenkov

Adventurer
A friend of mine makes the majority of his paycheck from working on DII's. The engines are known failure points. Not a matter of "if" but "when".... they all fail. If you buy it and it fails my buddy, the mechanic, recommends replacing the engine with one from a P38 as for some reason the engines in the RR did not have the same issue. Good luck with your decision.

Lecoq

Explorer
Thanks for all the advice. I'm gonna pass on this particular one and look for something with less issues and a better price.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Too bad you're on the other side of the country. Our shop has a 2003 D2 with a new, not rebuilt 4.6, for sale for $6000. It was my truck before I bought my TDi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior