Need help on pop ups

Murf2

Hi all, New guy here. I’ve been looking at T/C’s and need some help.

I’m kinda leery of the height & weight of a hardside for an 8 ft bed truck, so I’ve turned to pop ups.

Is there a brand of pop up that has more height in the overhead bed area. We need a north/south bed configuration also. We’re getting older and aren’t as spry as we once were. Don’t want to have to crawl over someone for the midnight run to the toilet.

Our truck is a 2003 GMC 2500HD. The tag in the glovebox says maximum camper weight is 2000 lbs. I don’t know why as it has about 3000 lbs of axle capacity on the rear.

Thanks in advance!
Murf

hemifoot

Observer
i went with a northstar 850 sc.i can almost sit straight up in the n/s bed.i'm 6'.my ram 2500 has airbags and supersprings,carries it well when i'm fully kitted out.i'm in british columbia and pop ups are not all that common and it was hard to find .only other options were palomino and real lite,both e/w beds and 4wc,too spartan and too long of a delivery time.no hallmark,no phoenix,and the odd used sunlite.

Last edited:

Murf2

Thanks guys! I thought the Northstars looked a little taller when up. I didn’t know that about the FWC’s had that option.

Thanks again
Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
i went with a northstar 850 sc.i can almost sit straight up in the n/s bed.i'm 6'.my ram 2500 has airbags and supersprings,carries it well when i'm fully kitted out.i'm in british columbia and pop ups are not all that common and it was hard to find .only other options were palomino and real lite,both e/w beds and 4wc,too spartan and too long of a delivery time.no hallmark,no phoenix,and the odd used sunlite.
That's a nice camper. It's nice to sleep in a made up bed.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
I had my friend measure his older 8.0' Northstar pop-up camper.

From his cabover bed mattress to the ceiling inside was about 22".

I measured a Grandby Model this morning, and from the mattress to the ceiling is approx. 28"

In case this helps you with your research.

There are benefits to both campers. Just depends on what the customer likes.

People like choices and options. :)

Murf2

I had my friend measure his older 8.0' Northstar pop-up camper.

From his cabover bed mattress to the ceiling inside was about 22".

I measured a Grandby Model this morning, and from the mattress to the ceiling is approx. 28"

In case this helps you with your research.

There are benefits to both campers. Just depends on what the customer likes.

People like choices and options. :)

Thanks Stan! Good info always helps. I’ll check them out.

Murf

Murph, I recommend you check out the All Terrain Campers line of products. Not quite as refined looking as FWC, but light, strong, well built and typically not as expensive. They also do custom configurations, and repair older FWC models. It’s a small shop in Sacramento.

mkish

Adventurer
I think Northstar has some taller models, or they can be ordered with that as an option perhaps? Don't expect them all to have that much bed space--you can't get close to sitting up in my 2012 NS tc800. (Great camper though, but pushing your 2000lbs.)

Emailing Northstar is always productive, even if you're asking about old models.

Andy Douglass

Picking a camper is all about figuring out which compromises you want to make. It's hard not to want everything checked off your list of must-haves when you are making such a big investment, but the reality is that you will have to make compromises. We have a FWC Hawk with the regular queen size mattress. We are both right around 6 feet tall. You would not be able to sit all the way upright in the bed area, but we have spent many cold nights before bed in the camper listening/reading and my wife has no problem with hanging out on the bed partially upright. We sleep east/west, but the only time one of us has to crawl over the other is if I go to bed first. I sleep on the rear side of the bed because I get up really early. When I wake up, I just roll my legs out of bed and sit on the edge so I can turn a light on and get my glasses, then I step down. Because of back issues, "rolling" out of bed is important to me and I would not want to sleep north/south. When I am sitting on the edge, I am not fully upright, but it is pretty close. Neither one of us has to get up in the middle of the night. The crawling over thing is really only a minor inconvenience. Unless you have severe mobility issues, I think a king size bed option in a FWC would be fine for you so you could sleep north/south.

You should definitely try to see any camper you are interested in at a showroom before buying; it will help you figure out which of your must-haves are actually just want-to-haves. It is also important try a pop up before you buy so you can see what the ergonomics of entering/exiting and popping the top are. I had a herniated disc in my lower back and my wife had major shoulder and elbow surgery. We are both fully healed but necessarily cautious, and the pop up is fine for us, but I could see someone with moderate to serious issues not wanting a manual pop up. Many people use speaker lifts as a jack to pop their lid if they have limitations. As we get older, I could see us maybe switching to a different style of RV, but the FWC is perfect for who we are now.

As for the weight, our Hawk is fully-loaded with the biggest fridge, furnace, water heater, etc. It is the side dinette configuration. Dry weight is just under 1500 pounds. Tank and water heater hold 215 pounds of water, and the camper also holds 20 pounds of propane. That would still leave 250 pounds of room in the camper for gear/beer before you touch the camper weight rating for your truck. I have read a few discussions on camper weight ratings before and it seems like the general consensus of speculation for the reason is the vehicle manufacturer being concerned about the wide variables for weight distributions across the many different camper options, but who knows.

Murf2

Thanks to all that have replied!
Andy you made some very good points. I have to find sometime to travel and look at some different models.
We live in Kansas, so not many truck campers dealers very close. I think we will go check out Northstar & Bundutec. They are pretty close.

SGH, I will take a ATC although logistics could be a problem.

mkish, Thanks for that info. I think we will go up & talk to Northstar.

Kevin, I will PM you.

PS, Is something like a Palomino just not worth looking at? We won’t be doing any actual off roading , just dry camping at lakes & BLM camping.

Thanks
Murf

mkish

Adventurer
Palominos are cheap and they really look great in the brochures.

They do seem to have a terrible terrible reputation though! I didn't look at them because (at least the year I was shopping) you have to tuck the sides in to bring the top down. I'm too short to mess with that!

Be sure to compare features like toilets, water tank sizes, grey tanks as options, fridge options, etc. I like that I can pull over, wash my hands, make lunch, and stuff without popping up because I have a (tiny) gray tank and I'm short enough for the camper to be fairly comfortable to work in with the top down.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I think Northstar has some taller models, or they can be ordered with that as an option perhaps? Don't expect them all to have that much bed space--you can't get close to sitting up in my 2012 NS tc800. (Great camper though, but pushing your 2000lbs.)

Emailing Northstar is always productive, even if you're asking about old models.
Yes,it's tight. The TC850SC enables another 5" or so. Heavier of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne