Need help with offline mapping

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It's actually not that hard at all. Look on the side of your phone or tablet for a special button labeled "Power".
Problem solved.

If you can't turn that button off the problem isn't with the service providers.
That hasn't been true for over a decade.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...c93cf4-f0b1-11e2-bed3-b9b6fe264871_story.html

By September 2004, a new NSA technique enabled the agency to find cellphones even when they were turned off. JSOC troops called this “The Find,” and it gave them thousands of new targets, including members of a burgeoning al-Qaeda-sponsored insurgency in Iraq, according to members of the unit.

But my point wasn't technological, rather philosophical. It seems people are happily trying to avoid ever really disengaging from their daily lives that revolve around being constantly plugged in and connected. I struggle with it, I have a SPOT tracker for solo trips that use quite often.

Last edited:

shade

But my point wasn't technological, rather philosophical. It seems people are happily trying to avoid ever really disengaging from their daily lives that revolve around being constantly plugged in and connected. I struggle with it, I have a SPOT tracker for solo trips that use quite often.

I used to carry an ACR PLB for me. If I reached the point that I couldn't make it back myself, that was my last ditch option.

I now carry an inReach, but the main use of the two-way capability is for those I leave behind. I hate texting conversations on my phone, and there's no way I'll suffer them when trying to get away from all of that. I tell the few people that I contact via inReach that it's expensive for me to receive messages, so only send important information. I figure that's better than the alternatives resulting from unanswered messages, or a reply of "Leave me alone."

Joe917

Explorer
Try Maps.me Free software and free maps. works perfectly offline and with ioverlander. Very easy to use. In south America we have given up on Delorme/Garmin as their maps are so poor down here. We have a Garmin InReach and prefer the Maps.me software.

shade

Try Maps.me Free software and free maps. works perfectly offline and with ioverlander. Very easy to use. In south America we have given up on Delorme/Garmin as their maps are so poor down here. We have a Garmin InReach and prefer the Maps.me software.
How reliable is the inReach two-way messaging there?

Joe917

Explorer
No issues with the InReach messaging anywhere N or S America(our main purpose in buying it). The more remote maps are very poor compared to open street map.

MOguy

Explorer
If you read back a little bit I discuss some internet issues. I upgraded my cell phone plan and all is all is good and have down loaded some mapping. (Not important to this conversation)

I updated my HERE, works off line. It shows al the county and National Forestry road and is very accurate. It is like old school Tom Tom and offers no mapping features such as routing or overlays.

Onyx (hunting and off-road) are very very very very inaccurate in my area. It could get you in trouble.

I downloaded Avenza and National Forestry vehicle maps (NF MVUM) for the areas I was traveling. It is easy to use and seems very accurate. I believe it offers routing, overlays and other things you would want in a Mapping app.

I spent some time in the Woods over the weekend and between HERE and the Avenza I had very good coverage. Onyx was so very wrong. It shows peoples drive ways (there are long ones in my area) as open trails. The property lines it showed around my own property were wrong.

shade

LOL!
Mine too.
It used to be common for people to answer their phones when it suited them, and it seemed to be a general understanding that the receiver was busy if they didn't answer. Leave a message or call back; no big deal.

Now, when a call or text message isn't answered, something must be wrong. It's bad at work, but at least I'm being paid to answer, so I make an effort.

When that insistence is brought to personal calls, I just leave my phone behind. If it's not on fire or bleeding, it can probably wait.

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
Well, I downloaded All in One Offline Maps per a different thread. I tried it out once so far, but it seems intuitive and the maps are good. Best part it is free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles