Need Latch Suggestion/Solution

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I recently built a cargo platform in my Jeep WK. Now I am modifying it a bit to allow access under the floor area where the second row seating was. I installed a piano hinge at the back, and am looking for a way to latch the front down securely enough to allow me to safely tie down something like a refrigerator onto of the cargo platform. There is a bit of an overhang to the lid currently. I'm struggling to find a hardware solution that will accommodate this geometry in a very secure, positively latched manner.

Your suggestions/ideas are quite welcome!

Here are some photos:
IMG_9444.jpeg

IMG_9446.jpeg

IMG_9445D.jpeg

IMG_9443.jpeg

IMG_9449.jpeg

alia176

Explorer
I think you found the correct "draw" latch. But there are others with a hook that might work better? Just a thought. May not be any better than what you already picked out. As long as you adjust the stroke, I think that's the most important part. Just a safety message: be sure to plan for a rollover accident so plan accordingly with heavy items like fridges, tool boxes and such. :)

slowtwitch

Adventurer
If you put those D rings on the bottom verticals of shelf unit and then run your strap over cooler and through those, that would serve as your latch and prob be more secure, cheaper, clean.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
@Verkstad - I thought seriously about something like that. And found some similar rubber T-handles for ice coolers, but I didn't want any elastic movement, so I opted not to go that route. @alia176 had the right idea, and that would have been easier than I what I did, but I did solve it today, and it's seems pretty solid.

I found some 2.5" zinc plated T-shaped brackets. I drilled them out to attach the locking hasp, then bent them 90 degrees and screwed them to the bottom of the cargo lid. Then I added small blocks of plywood to mount the latch handle. This worked perfectly:
1639364597988.jpeg

IMG_9490.jpeg

IMG_9492.jpeg

All stained up and done:

IMG_9498D.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke