Need obd2 wifi scanner and iPhone app.

DaveM

Explorer
My wife's 2010 Mazda 5 threw an engine light yesterday, instead of just taking it in blind I'd like to read the code myself. Looking at iPhone OBD2 apps and scanners. Any opinions recommendations on specific apps or wifi scanner units?

I need this to work with my iPhone, on my wife's Mazda and my Tacoma, less than $20 for the scanner, easy to use interface, useful functions for both diagnostic and perhaps engine monitoring en route. Let me know if you have any recommendations.

Cheers,
David

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'm using a Panlong(?) OBDII-Bluetooth device, there are several brandnames using the same translucent blue plastic device. In my case using a dash-mounted android tablet but there are Apple-specific versions of the device.
I'm alos using the Torque app for reading and displaying various data from the OBD bus AND it works as an error code scanner and clearing device.

TorqueLite is free. The OBD devices go for well under $20 on amazon.

just took a fresh look at amazon there are a lot more devices available now and several that advertise compatibility with BOTH Android and Apple devices. Used to be one or the other, a couple years ago.

Last edited:

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I have the FIXD unit and app. Easy to use and diagnose but took me a few minutes to figure out how to reset the codes. For $70 I was able to get 2 of them (one for each truck) but that was a special last year. Not sure what they're going for now.

thebmrust

I posted a similar question a few months ago and didn’t get much of a reply. It appears that few people use the OBD Fusion app and none on a GMT400 1999 Suburban.

I’m using OBD Fusion and the TONWON OBDII Bluetooth Scan Tool ELM327.

It works but not all codes will read. I can’t get the ambient air temp, oil temp and a few others to display in the app.

dman93

Adventurer
I have a Carista ... works well enough on my 3rd gen Tacoma and ok on our 2001 VW, haven’t tried it yet on our new-to-us 2015 VW.

DaveM

Explorer
Picked up the Foseal wireless OBD2 unit and paired it with the Car Scanner app on iPhone. Seemed to work, I pulled the code p2096 from my wife's Mazda which seems to indicate a cat or exhaust sensor is reading high o2 or low fuel (as opposed to a sensor fault). So I guess I still need to take the car in now to have that figured out, but its nice to see the code ahead of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles