Need some "guidance"/tech training and inputs

breindelja

Hello Folks, I am a newer member, have been researching and gathering info for a few years now. I just recently purchased a 02 Ford F350 Long Bed with the 7.3L diesel engine. From what I am gathering, it has the 4R100 (4 spd automatic) transmission. I read up on both the engine issues on-line and also the transmission issues. Currently, we aren't towing anything yet but will be in the future. We are looking at used toy haulers (bumper pull, not 5th wheel) and from what I'm seeing, avg. weight is around 10K for a unit (I'm looking at 30-33'ish total length). Add in extra weight for fluids, toys, etc. and my guess is we will be around 12K.
WIth this being said, is there anything I should do to the engine and or transmission before starting to haul? Not looking to buy said unit till next year or possibly later, but I want to get a jump start on this now to ensure I get the truck ready. Our goal is to live out of this and see if we like it, with the hope of going smaller or building our own expedition type rig. But for now, I want to get inputs, thoughts suggestions as far as the truck goes.
Also, if there is anyone in the SLC, Utah area, and can suggest a trustworthy mechanic to do any work on my truck I will take suggestions. Unfortunately, my trust in the local market has been shot and killed. lol

NatersXJ6

Explorer
If you ask 3 people about transmission flush you get 9 opinions, but at that mileage I would flush and do filters. Otherwise, not much is needed if you have a relatively tame driving style. I put well over 200k on a 2002 F250, 50% loaded 50 empty, and it was still rolling strong when I handed it to the next guy.

breindelja

Some people install transmisson thermostats to for realtime feedback. (Forgive me if your truck already has one.)
Thanks for the inputs, I don't know if my transmission has a "thermostat", I do have on the dash a transmission temp gauge so I'm assuming it's relatively close, but not a "digital" type readout (has the "lines" just like the engine temp gauge that's stock on most older vehicles). I do like the idea though of getting a more accurate digital gauge though so thanks!

If you ask 3 people about transmission flush you get 9 opinions, but at that mileage I would flush and do filters. Otherwise, not much is needed if you have a relatively tame driving style. I put well over 200k on a 2002 F250, 50% loaded 50 empty, and it was still rolling strong when I handed it to the next guy.

I used to not be "tamed" in my driving style but have learned from the time I bought this truck to not "tromp" on the throttle. lol My goal is to make this thing last, but I do have a question now and wanted to get inputs. When I looked up this trucks towing capacity, I see "12,500 pounds", that is if I put it on a hitch. If I do a 5th wheel, I get a few more pounds, does that sound accurate? I thought even a 1 ton truck could tow/haul considerably more. I'm new to towing so I want to make sure when I go to buy a RV, that I'm taking weight into consideration as I know I will be adding some weight to it (toys, liquids, etc.).

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Thanks for the inputs, I don't know if my transmission has a "thermostat", I do have on the dash a transmission temp gauge so I'm assuming it's relatively close, but not a "digital" type readout (has the "lines" just like the engine temp gauge that's stock on most older vehicles). I do like the idea though of getting a more accurate digital gauge though so thanks!

I used to not be "tamed" in my driving style but have learned from the time I bought this truck to not "tromp" on the throttle. lol My goal is to make this thing last, but I do have a question now and wanted to get inputs. When I looked up this trucks towing capacity, I see "12,500 pounds", that is if I put it on a hitch. If I do a 5th wheel, I get a few more pounds, does that sound accurate? I thought even a 1 ton truck could tow/haul considerably more. I'm new to towing so I want to make sure when I go to buy a RV, that I'm taking weight into consideration as I know I will be adding some weight to it (toys, liquids, etc.).

Tow ratings are basically argument fuel. There must be thousands of posts here about setting / meeting / exceeding weight ratings and tow specs. Ultimately they are set by a collaboration of people including performance engineers, safety engineers, reliability engineers, accountants, lawyers, and environmental regulators. Don’t go down that rabbit hole unless you have a lot of time.

In general, it is my OPINION that a 2002 or 2003 truck is going to have a much lower tow rating than a more modern truck. I believe those older ratings much more readily, and believe that they were designed more for longevity that the more recent stuff.

Specifically, you can more easily and more safely tow with a fifth wheel because the tongue weight sits right on the center of the truck suspension, so there is no leverage multiplier in bouncing or turning like there is with a bumper pull. If one of the engineers at my work wanted to have a discussion about how, why, and how much could be loaded, it would take 2 hours and a whiteboard to explain…. So you’re kind of going to need to hit YouTube or a local place for that. I STRONGLY recommend that you DO NOT TRUST anyone involved in selling you a trailer in any way to help advise you on tow ratings or loading. They do not have your best interest in mind.

I would personally consider myself to be overloaded in almost all US driving situations, especially in mountains, towing more than 10k lbs with an older F250/350. Many people do it all day / every day. I wouldn’t be comfortable on the roads with that kind of load, it takes hyper vigilance and defensive driving.

breindelja

I get it. And I understand that everyone is going to have there own thought process. Our goal is to live out of this thing for hopefully a few years, and see what we "need", what we don't, what we like, and what we don't. and then shrink down smaller. Honestly, the only reason I'm looking bumper pull toy hauler is we will probably own a small UTV or a ATV for my wife and a dual-sport for me. If I new anything about construction, I would take a used trailer and convert it myself. The original dream was a 45' 5th wheel, and then the reality set in that I could only camp in so many places with that size. Right now, we are looking 30' or less (hopefully less). Then go from there. the "dream" would be a 5500 with a flat bed and a truck camper mounted on it, and super single the rear to go off-grid more. We will see how it goes. I do appreciate all the info though.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I believe it has one already, but will double check. Did they come stock by chance and if so, should I buy a bigger one or aftermarket one?
I think putting a 6.0’s trans cooler down n place of a 7.3’s was a popular upgrade ten years ago?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier