Need some KLR advice

Clark White

Explorer
So here is where I'm at: I have a tight budget as I'm a student living solely off the GI bill. However, I have saved up enough for a bike which I am now very much in the market for as I am planning an AZ to Yellowknife and back via HW101/1 down the West Coast with some friends of mine. In my search, I have come down to two bikes that are currently available and in my price bracket.
1: http://prescott.craigslist.org/mcy/1651434889.html
2: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/1652229899.html

Bike 1 obviously has WAY more miles (33400 instead of bike 2 with 2200). However, the dealer did the top end 3000mi ago and it would save me about $500 in farkles that are already installed v. bike 2. How much does a top end job make up for the high miles???

Bike 2 only has 2200mi on it, looks very clean, and has a nicer after-market seat, but otherwise no farkles which I estimate will cost me ~$500 more to get up to speed then bike 1.

Both are ~$2600 asking price, so the deal breaker really comes down to the mileage and whether the dealers rebuilding the top end will make up for that. What do you all say?

Thanks!
Clark White

P.S. Here is a link for my planned trip rout, so you can clearly see why I need this bike to be reliable beyond the normal obvious reasons:
http://tinyurl.com/ya6qd2y

scarysharkface

Explorer
It's possible that the high-miles bike is on the verge of needing new everything (wheel bearings, steering bearings, clutch plates, etcetera) and the new top end implies to me that maybe those have been hard miles.

As for farkles, a couple of dry bags strapped to the back, a tank bag, hand guards and better skidplate and you're golden.

See here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511498

Have fun!

John

Clark White

Explorer
Sounds exactly like what I was thinking, just wanted a second opinion since I know relatively little about bikes.

As for the Olympic byway, that sounds like a great idea, thanks for the advice!

Clark

Petrolburner

Explorer
Absolutely go for the lower mileage bike, it's more than just the engine you need to consider in terms of reliability, think wheel bearings, swingarm linkage, shocks and seals, every nut and bolt that has been taken off and put back on as a course of routine maintenance now has more wear on the threads and knowing motorcycles has probably been replaced with the wrong length bolt or the stuff is all switched around. Plus for a dirtbike that dirt really accelerates the wear. Always look for one that has taken less of a beating as opposed to one with more mods. Also the one that has been modded was probably used to its limit and needed those mods to meet the previous owners desires. Meaning it took a real beating until it was modified to be able to handle it.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
bike #2 sounds like a better bike, that seat will serve you well for your slab miles,,, as for high miles,,,,,,,,,,, i had a 1990 KLR and never had the engine open. the only problem i can remember was blowing a couple CDI's until i found the problem in chaffed wiring. i dont know how many more miles it would've gone but a car took it out (and me) at the 85k mark !!

Clark White

Explorer
Well I have now found a couple of really low mileage bikes in the same price range, if only someone would answer their e-mail or when they say call post a number to call!:littlefriend:

Clark

Clark White

Explorer
Well one of the guys finally called me back! Went and looked at it today and it is now mine. No pictures yet, but it is a 2000 KLR650, OD green, 1700mi on the clock, looks brand new except for a few scratches where he dropped it loading it in his pick up, payed $2700 for it and a rear bag. :victory:

Clark

805gregg

Adventurer
Good buy I spent $3600 for a 2000 some 5 years ago. I put 10,000 miles on it and added about $3000 in upgrades ( don't do that) and sold it for $3600. Great beginner bike.

Clark White

Explorer
I'll have pics tomorrow! It's bone stock right now, so I need to farkle a little, but I don't plan to get too carried away. Some bar ends, HW pegs, maybe a tall windshield, probably going to make my own rear rack, and it already has a pretty nice after market seat. I'll probably start a separate thread on it tomorrow, I'll link to it in here though.

Clark

American

I have an 87 KLR and it has almost 49,000 miles and still runs awesome. I have only had to do regular service, but I have put a new sprocket, chain, and rear shock on it. Good buy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz