Need the solar/power pros to weigh in

TantoTrailers

Updated my diagram...so hard not to cross lines but I got it! I suppose I should show the feeds into the DC/DC and Shore charger but.........I like it.

Tanto.png

TantoTrailers

Not sure what happened to yesterdays posting of this but I'll try again. I got the immersion heater put together and I just need to get a bit of marine heat shrink on there and I should be good to test as soon as I have some sunlight. I will most likely make the temp probe cable longer so it sits in the middle of the tank if this actually works. One thing I noticed is that my Renogy Controller load outputs are hot off my battery and as it sits on the charger that means 13+v which would fry this little board. I think I can shut off the battery load but im wondering if the voltage coming off the panels will also be the same as the charging voltage to the battery. To be determined on Saturday hopefully.

If that is the case what would be the cleanest way to incorporate some sort of 12v stabilizer? I might be getting too deep down this rabbit hole for something that may not even work but in the name of science!

20191120_165244(1).jpg

20191120_192130(1).jpg

20191120_192145(1).jpg

20191120_192350(1).jpg

20191120_192436(1).jpg

Last edited:

dreadlocks

load output will be same voltage as battery/charge voltage, tho I doubt <14.3v would fry that board.. basically all voltage regulators in that range can take battery charge voltages or else the'd be entirely worthless for most all applications.. if its 12vDC you can run it off a 12v battery while its charging, so automotive use is fine.

TantoTrailers

That input power section has me second guessing...I never RTFM till I’m elbow deep in the ....

Attachments

• 3166A013-30D2-4F55-866A-2E10A1F39125.jpeg
    3166A013-30D2-4F55-866A-2E10A1F39125.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9

TantoTrailers

12 buck Buck ordered! Made of money I reckon at this point hahahaaaaaa...this thing better work! At least it looks like I sorta planned it.

TantoTrailers

Odd, getting 12.2v at the power terminals on this little temp control and the led indicating power output turns on when the threshold is tripped but I get no power at the outputs...faulty unit maybe?

75664668-71F6-41C4-B0B4-D18F998A1D31.png

7FA28CFF-6D8C-4E4D-903E-1E8D4D2A6180.png

TantoTrailers

I figured out what I was doing wrong with the "water heater" so I will get that corrected when I get home and tested.

Hypothetically speaking, which Victron SmartSolar Controller would I need to replace the Renogy Rover 20 model that I currently have? Xmas list ideas =D

shade

I figured out what I was doing wrong with the "water heater" so I will get that corrected when I get home and tested.

Hypothetically speaking, which Victron SmartSolar Controller would I need to replace the Renogy Rover 20 model that I currently have? Xmas list ideas =D
What panels do you have now, and do you plan to add any?

TantoTrailers

Thank you, I think it will take a lot of boredom and extra funds for me to replace the Renogy. Primarily because the size difference will expose the screw holes from the Renogy install haha!

onto other gizmos. I am currently testing the water heater. Finally got everything hooked up the right way and foolishly touched the heating element just moments after turning it on...things got hot fast! Water is taking time to warm but it is going up. Currently running off battery only and it’s consuming 8Amps/105w or so.

TantoTrailers

Water heater update. 5 hrs 45mins in and the water has risen from 18C to 31C. This is all happening in my garage which is 12C. I imagine this will do what I need; give me hot water for a shower after a day of mountain biking or sloppy fishing in warmer temps (above 65 I would think). Any colder and I’m going to seek an indoor shower. I will need to give this a field test but it will be quite a while before it’s at least 65 out for 6 or more hours. I am impressed with how well it has worked in the current test scenario.

DB28EB8A-C0DC-4D18-9633-98AE72F4CADD.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior