Need to find a way to connect three hoses w/o leaking!

alia176

Explorer
Howdy folks,

I have a typical hardware store three way nylon barbed fitting for connecting three 3/8" hoses together. Trouble is the hoses are under pressure using a RV water pump and they drip. Since this pic was taken, I've switched to the standard worm gear hose clamp but they still leak. I've also tried using fuel injector hose clamps to no avail. This is for the cold water side.

What else can be used in this application? I can't imagine using a brass three way barbed nipple won't be much better.

Thanks.

1662495025726.png

alia176

Explorer
Sounds like a mismatch of hose-fitting dimensions.

Yeah, you'd assume that given the drips but the hoses are 3/8" hose and I'm using 3/8" nylon barbed fitting. Perhaps I'm using the wrong type of barbed fittings from Ace, not sure. I'll try a different material fitting. These hoses are reinforced so shoving a larger barbed fitting won't work and using smaller fittings are way too small.

rubonik

How much pressure and have you been able to identify where the leak is? I mean is one connection leaking or more than one. If you switch to either brass or stainless hose barbs, you can heat the tubing to get a little more slack on the fit. Heating the tubing may also get it to conform better to the barbs.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Yeah, you'd assume that given the drips but the hoses are 3/8" hose and I'm using 3/8" nylon barbed fitting. Perhaps I'm using the wrong type of barbed fittings from Ace, not sure. I'll try a different material fitting. These hoses are reinforced so shoving a larger barbed fitting won't work and using smaller fittings are way too small.
You would be surprised what a little heat can do.

MotoDave

Explorer
The barbs look really short in the photo, I'd try to find a fitting with longer barbed section and move the hose clamps back from the end of the hose a bit.

Any chance the hoses are actually 10mm? Its not a big size difference a 10mm hose on a 3/8" fitting might be just enough to cause a leak

pith helmet

I would think getting a barbed brass fitting and regular hose clamps. You can tighten down with a 1/4” ratchet and not distort the fitting like plastic will.
Good luck!

Alloy

Try double clamping. Put the screw 180 degrees from each other. Be careful not to over tighten and wrinkle the hose under the screw.

Try different fittings. Each mfg. has a different idea of what 3/8" is.
Instead of Nylon try a Poly fitting
Use a little pipe ( safe for drinking water) dope but let it set before applying pressure

86scotty

Cynic
I've never had 1/2" PEX fittings/crimps fail, but I have used them with PEX pipe, not the stuff you have. But, still, I'd try one of these:

Lowe's/Home Depot have them, the quickest link I could find was Northern.

I think Pith Helmet is spot on above. You can't see that the nylon fitting is probably distorting.

alia176

Explorer
Thanks for the inputs, I grabbed a two way barbed brass fitting yesterday and will install it today. My Ecotemp heater sprung a leak and I'll need to bypass it for this trip so I basically need just a barbed unit to splice two hoses together.

I bet the nylon fitting is deforming under hose clamp pressure. Good call.

Last edited:

Louisd75

Adventurer
Thanks for the inputs, I grabbed a two way barbed brass fitting yesterday and will install it today. My Ecotemp heater sprung a leak and I'll need to bypass it for this trip so I basically need just a barbed unit to splice two hoses together.

It can be helpful to put the end of a reinforced hose in hot (close to boiling) water for a few seconds before trying to put the barbed connection in. I'm not sure if you have space to work on it in place of if you'd have to pull the hoses.

alia176

Explorer
It can be helpful to put the end of a reinforced hose in hot (close to boiling) water for a few seconds before trying to put the barbed connection in. I'm not sure if you have space to work on it in place of if you'd have to pull the hoses.

That's good advice and that's what I had to do in order to soften things up a tad.

Cheers.

billiebob

That type of hose takes a particular type of clamp and the hose manufacturer also supplies the fittings to work with it. If you like hardware store fittings, use hardware store rubber hose.

pith helmet

no sir, clear braided nylon tubing uses regular hose clamps. i use it all the time on chemical spray rigs.

That type of hose takes a particular type of clamp and the hose manufacturer also supplies the fittings to work with it. If you like hardware store fittings, use hardware store rubber hose.

burleyman

What pith helmet said. If the water pump is always switched on, and water pressure is always maintained, those thumper pumps' shut-off pressure is higher than I prefer. I wouldn't allow that on something that travels around. Forcing yourself to operate a toggle switch to power the pump teaches water conservation and avoids wet, soaked stuff.

If you're forgetful like me, using a simple mechanical timer with normally open contacts is handy. Also, I can hear a thumping water pump quite a distance. I have gone to impeller type pumps for noise reduction and less pressure, but have to remember the switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior