Need your input on the best way to transport a Generator

Mr. T

Just got a Champion Generator but how to transport it. Would like your input on the best way to transport a generator.
I could put it inside my trailer box, change the front end of trailer to carry propane bottle and generator or make dual hitch and a cargo carrier just for the generator that go just behind spare tire on the Jeep and above the trailer tongue.

Attachments

• IMG_1014.JPG
    IMG_1014.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Teardropper

This is my tongue-stuck-in-my-cheek answer.

EDfYgWB.jpg

But that's how I carry mine. ; )

:unsure::geek:

T

rnArmy

Adventurer
Generators are great when you've lost electricity at home (that's a fairly good sized generator you've got). But if you're out in the wilderness and there's anyone within earshot of your generator, they will be hating you for ruining their outdoor experience (I know I would). It doesn't matter if your generator is advertised as "whisper quiet" or has "quiet technology"; it is an engine running and sound travels. Please be respectful if there are neighbors around. Most campgrounds have a quiet-time posted (usually around 2200 if I remember right). So if you're buying one to run something all night, please think about it. Why does anyone try to get away from it all, just to have to listen to someone's generator running? Canvas does not block sounds, and if you're in a motor home and can't hear it, it doesn't mean everyone else can't hear it and you're forcing them to listen to it. And those $89 HF generators sound like a chainsaw running. Been there having to listen to it at night against my will (bastards). When I organize runs, I make sure folks know about generator etiquette in not so polite terms so we all understand. Same thing with folks playing music when camping so everyone within miles (it seems) can hear it. Am I the only one with noise issues?

The cargo carrier would be my last choice. It would kill your departure overhang angle, you'd most likely have to move your spare tire elsewhere (it would be in the way of the generator), and I don't know how you would pull your trailer with that cargo carrier there. The rear receiver hitch might be able to handle the downward weight, but on a tray it will be rocking side-to-side if you're driving off pavement, and it may rip the hitch apart (especially if you built the mount up and out to clear the spare tire). If space is a premium, I would recommend one of those smaller (2000 watt-ish sized) more expensive inverter generators that (I can't believe I'm saying this) are advertised as being super quiet and putting it inside your trailer's box. Something like this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/engin...att-super-quiet-inverter-generator-62523.html

Some people put them on sliding trays (like you would put an electric fridge on). Just a thought.

Last edited:

Mr. T

The cargo carrier would be my last choice. It would kill your departure overhang angle, you'd most likely have to move your spare tire elsewhere (it would be in the way of the generator), and I don't know how you would pull your trailer with that cargo carrier there. The rear receiver hitch might be able to handle the downward weight, but on a tray it will be rocking side-to-side if you're driving off pavement, and it may rip the hitch apart (especially if you built the mount up and out to clear the spare tire). If space is a premium, I would recommend one of those smaller (2000 watt-ish sized) more expensive inverter generators that (I can't believe I'm saying this) are advertised as being super quiet and putting it inside your trailer's box.
You right the cargo carrier is not a good idea. I can make room in the center of trailer box over the axel. The only time I will need to take it is if I am going out somewere away from every thing with some other camping friends and we would all use it. I am still going to make a cargo carrier to carrier other stuff and will post pictures when I get it finished. Thanks for you input!

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
That is a LOT of generator to take camping. I used to take a 2000 watt with a 28' travel trailer and it ran everything but the a/c. If a few of you are looking for a ways to keep batteries/phones/maybe even a small fridge going I would just bring some solar panels. Quieter and WAY easier to pack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior