Nemo Cosmo Long Double vs Nemo Roamer vs Exped MegaMat Duo

B^2

Observer
Hello,

Looking to get a new sleeping air mattress/pad for myself, the wife and our 8 month old daughter. Previously we've used a coleman double decker air mattress as well as some therma rest pads for lighter weight camping. Looking at the Nemo Cosmo double, 2 Nemo Roamers to connect together, or the Exped MegaMat Duo.

1. Nemo Cosmo Double
Pros: Seems to be the lightest weight of the three options.With a packed weight of 4lbs 1oz, it's less than half the weight of the other two options. Also the cheapest of the three options.

Potential Cons: Least thick of the three options. Concerned about potential durability issues with more off the grid style camping.

2) Nemo Roamer

Pros: Good down to -30 degrees, can be put together with another roamer to make a sleeping area the size of a queen size mattress which could be key with the baby. Thickest of the three options. When combined with the other roamer its width is 60 inches which is super wide.

Cons: Most amount of money when considering buying two of them. Weight is close to on par of the megamat duo.

3) Megamat Duo

Pros: Tried and tested product. Two inches wider than the Nemo Cosmo Double.

Cons: Heavy.

Would appreciate any feedback or insight for people using these products. I imagine I'm not the first person to be thinking about this particular category for use with a small child.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I will say, NEMO has never let me down. I have two of their Mezo Loft sleeping bags, and matching Cosmo insulated pads w/foot pump. They are not the smallest combo, but hands down the most well thought out, built and comfortable ones i have ever used. The bags have double zippers both sides, little mesh pockets both sides at the top ( phone one side, headlamp on the other ) , integrated pad holder, etc. , Everything from the back of my truck, to in a hammock and recently on the back of a motorcycle through Patagonia. Not the same models as you, but experience with the brand. I had one issue once- replaced it w/o fuss, good customer service.

I liked their stuff so much , i replaced the sleep system in my camper with the nemo Jazz duo sleeping bag. The only " gripe " o have with it, is the integrated sheet snaps can be a pain. I plan on pulling the mattress out of the camper and replacing with one of their pads for it. Probably the Cosmo double. The Nemo, stuff expensive though, i usually wait until they have one of their garage/ old stock sales.

Good Luck,

B^2

Observer
Probably will have the pads laying on the group of a tent where it's an OZ-Tent or one of the other tents we have. We have a RTT which already has a mattress in it but the wife is looking for something on the group because she is worried about the baby in the RTT. I kinda like the idea of two roamers that way she can have her pad firmer if she wants it that way. I know some brands make big pads where one side can be softer/less air than the other.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I thought a lot about that w/ two cosmos and variable pressures. I wondered if they would ever try and overlap on another or not, in a sleeve maybe not. I had not seen the roamers yet, they look nice, but above my price point for a pair system.

In a tent/etc and cleanish floor i think durability would be good. I would be hesitant to just throw them on the ground and go that route. Although i know many do, but me partially for the price, and just taking care of gear.

on another note, you may also want to start a thread on how others have baby proofed their RTT's, lots of family's here with little ones.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I LOVE my exped mega mats but more importantly my WIFE LOVES THEM. The only downsides are bulk, cost and relatively fragile. I'm pretty good to my gear and 3/4 I've owned have developed leaks. Easy enough to repair, but that's my data to contribute.

In all other areas they really shine. Comfortable, warm, and big.

My only thoughts on a. Double wide is what's the difference in weight with you and your girl? You'll find if one person is heavy the other person gets a stiffer mattress. Separate pads make for a more custom sleeping pressure, soft or firm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles