New 2006 DR-Z400S owner - Phoenix, AZ

theksmith

Explorer
Happy new dualsport owner here! I've had street bikes (cruisers), and quads, but never a dirt bike before...

I picked up a super clean 2006 DR-Z400S with 3k miles on it a couple weeks ago. The PO had been using it for commuting and from the looks of it, I don't think it's even gotten dirty too many times... but that's about to change!

I plan to use it probably 70% on desert trails, 30% on road (getting to trails and just riding around town sometimes), and 10% occasional touring. I did a fair amount of research before buying and specificly got the DRZ becuase of it's "not perfect for anything, but good at everything" demeanor.

Here's some pics from my first ride out of town:

P1020201.JPG

P1020216.JPG

and with black/silver, it matches my other adventure tourer:

P1010747.JPG

It came with the following:
Acerbis black plastics (which was planned as my first mod anyway!)
Clarke desert tank (which would have been my second mod!)
White brothers exhaust
3x3 air box mod
Dynojet jet kit
Tusk aluminum handguards
Clear mini rear turn signals
Trimmed up rear taillight surround plastic
Avon Distancia tires with only 300 miles on them (for sale if anyone wants them)

I already have a list of things I want as as I soon as I can afford:
Knobbies (maybe the D606?)
Boots (already have helmet/goggles from the quad days)
Side Case Guards (the ones on ebay without logos)
Radiator guards (unabiker i guess)
Small rack (probably this one)
Skidplate (i like the Devol)
The plastic shields for the Tusk handguards
Wide footpegs
Edge taillight
SM style front fender
Luggage (probably a Giant Loop, and Fastboy bag on the front fender)​

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Great looking bike...makes me want to go to Mexico!

...but then again, the caveat is that many things make me want to go to Mexico! :elkgrin:

-H-

theksmith

Explorer
first addition to the toolkit

ordered several things to add to the tool/spare/emergency kit... the first to arrive today was the Swagman Two Timer Bike Pump:

chosen for the following reasons:
- hand pump and CO2 pump in one small unit
- durable metal head
- uses threaded or cheaper non-threaded CO2 cartridges
- pumps by hand without removing cartridge
- purchased on ebay for $12 with free shipping

P1020242.JPG

P1020243.JPG

-------------

UPDATE:

the o-ring on the swagman pump that seals where the co2 cartridge mates split the second time i used this, wasting a cartridge. unfortunately it's a strange sized ring that i couldn't find at the hardware store, and putting in a very similar size ring ended up not sealing and just wasting another cartridge.

this could have been a one-time fluke, but i've decided to order a different brand anyway - the "Genuine Innovations Second Wind MTB Hybrid Inflator". The inflator is smaller, and without the t-handle, not as easy to pump. but i decided that, after all, the manual pump really is a very last resort if somehow you use all your co2 and still get another flat (which hopefully with heavy-duty natural rubber tubes will be not-too-often).

1528924.jpg

Last edited:

theksmith

Explorer
nice bike, don't see the all black "s" too much. Is that a distansia tire?

thanks!

yup, Avon Distanzia's... the PO was using the bike just for commuting. Can't tell you how they are since i've never ridden anything else to compare them to!

i have a new set of Dunlop D606's going on it this week as i bought it to use more for trail riding.

theksmith

Explorer
i quickly realized that a lift/stand is one of those little luxuries that are worth the cost.

i looked on typical websites and including ebay and decided on the Tusk Steel Adjustable Lift Stand for $59.99 @ rockymountainatv.com: http://www.rockymountainatv.com/pro...irt+Bike+Parts&webCatId=19&prodFamilyId=23031

The Tusk aluminum one got some bad reviews, hence my choice on the steel one. Other than that, everything I've ever read about Tusk products has been top-notch. Their handguards came on my DRZ and they seem very beefy.

Anyway, shipping was insanely fast and it came in several pieces. Put-together time was 5 minutes at most. First impressions are good, welds seem nice, overal thickness of material used is decent, good powdercoat.

Features I like:
- Teflon washers between all moving parts
- Lowered and lifted heights are adjustable from 9" to 17.5"
- Seems large enough to be stable
- Rubber padded top

P1020352.JPG

P1020355.JPG

if you are looking for something more compact or lighter, certainly spring for a quality aluminum one from a company like FMF, Moose, Fly, or what have you... but if you just want a solid tool for the garage, this seems like a good deal. Note: there were some slightly cheaper ones on ebay, but I felt like spending the extra $10 for a company that seemed to have a good reputation.

BlackX

Adventurer
Great looking bike. I've been riding a friends '03 DRZ 400. It's a heck of a lot of fun. You're right when you say "not perfect for anything, but good at everything".

theksmith

Explorer
pic with the new CFC side case guards from ebay (also available on TT, but i liked the no-logo ones) and the new msr 1" longer shift lever from RockyMountainATV (now that i have riding boots, my size 13 was having trouble with the stock shifter):

P1020369.JPG

theksmith

Explorer
and new gas cap vent/breather from www.bjmotorsports.com. unique compared to those other little shorty lines with vents that you see everywhere for $20... this attaches more securely and is 2-way allowing the tank to vent out on a hot day as well as breathe in as it uses fuel, and just looks neat:

P1020377.JPG

Last edited:

theksmith

Explorer
so last week i go in the garage and find gas all under the bike. turns out i had the common failure of the S model's vacuum operated petcock, and then my float was also set completely wrong, in the end allowing fuel to run into the engine.

for the whole story: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792443

well finally got my new petcock today and put that in, already had changed oil, set float and all that... so now i can finally go riding again!

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
so last week i go in the garage and find gas all under the bike. turns out i had the common failure of the S model's vacuum operated petcock, and then my float was also set completely wrong, in the end allowing fuel to run into the engine.

for the whole story: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792443

well finally got my new petcock today and put that in, already had changed oil, set float and all that... so now i can finally go riding again!

Sounds like a bit of an ordeal! Glad its fixed.

I always wondered about the similar petcock on my DR200 but so far its been reliable. I haven't needed to open up the carb but apparently its possible to twist it 90 degrees and work on it in-situ. I wonder if the DR-Z carb is similar?

Cheers,
Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior