New BFG's on 02' Taco!

erod

Adventurer
Hey everyone, well finally got out to try the new 265/75/R16 BFG AT's yesterday in the Bridger's. All I can say about these tires (which I am sure many of you already know) is WOW. What a difference, granted my Toyo AT's were pretty worn, over 45,000 miles, but the BFG's are a huge improvement! The Toyo's were a good tire, lasted forever on the road (I still had tread left when i replaced them), but they left me stuck in the snow and mud a number of times off road, once so deep my K&N got so caked in mud it was pulled into my air intake! Anyway, I thought I would put some pics up, it makes for a little bit more exciting thread in my opinion. These tires ripped through everything we threw at them, slick mud, loose rock and a bunch of snow. We easily made it all the way (7 mi +) to the lake and had no issues in any of the terrain. The BFG's cleaned their tread impressively and felt extremely stable. On the road I noticed no difference between them and the Toyo's but off road they, in my opinion, are a much more aggressive tire. I felt comfortable pulling off for others in snow that would have surely stopped the Toyo's. Anyway, maybe not the review you guys were looking for but I am stoked on the new shoes and recommend these tires to anyone in the market...oh yea, I picked them up for 154.00/tire installed at COSCO, after looking around a bit this seemed like a great price! Hope you guys like the pics.

Also, has anyone had experience with bud built accessories? They make a skid plate that fits under the ARB filler plate to protect the Taco's front end (http://www.budbuilt.com/new/ifs.html) and I am considering purchasing one. Are skid plates worth the money? They look super cool and seem like they provide a good amount of protection but 250 bucks, I guess a bashed up IFS would cost a lot more to fix. Anyone have input, I would love to hear it. Thanks all! Cheers.

I am having trouble uploading some pics, any advice on posting pictures?

Last edited:

erod

Adventurer
More Pics...

I think some of my pictures are to big, I am new to this macbook, still figuring things out so stay tuned for some more...

Last edited:

erod

Adventurer
More Pics...

Good thing my girlfriend is a photo major :victory: ...her are a few more...enjoy!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Killer set up! :clapsmile

I also really like the BFG's for a well rounded (pardon the pun) tire. Very versatile on road and off and they're great in the snow.

Budbuilt has an awesome reputation for both his products and his customer service. I wouldn't hesitate to order a skid plate from him. Skid plates are like winches, lockers and snorkels. You may never "need" it but you'll be really glad to have it if you ever do.

Brian894x4

Explorer
Nice ride!

As far as Budbuilt, I can at least tell you he's a very good guy and makes good stuff. It's a small operation. I have his crossmember and traction bar and both are very high qual stuff for the money. I can't speak for this skidplates, but his other stuff is good.

I would run a better skidplate. When I had IFS, I bashed my stock skidplate, which I think was slightly beefier than the newer Taco ones and then welded a piece of steel onto the front of the stock skidplate . That did wonders. Never had to worry about bashing in the front diff again.

The area that concerns me the most on the Taco is the steering. I'd want to cover that and protect it. Especially from hitting something while backing up.

Good luck.

Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Brian894x4 said:
Nice ride!

As far as Budbuilt, I can at least tell you he's a very good guy and makes good stuff. It's a small operation. I have his crossmember and traction bar and both are very high qual stuff for the money. I can't speak for this skidplates, but his other stuff is good.

:iagree:

<sorta hijack on>

while it might just seem like more heavy metal that could be traded for it's weight in steak, beer and long underwear, a skid plate at least for the engine and steering components should be shortlisted with other "never leave home without it" items. ideally, the engine, transmission and transfercase should all be protected by a skid plate that can bear the weight of the truck without significant deformation or damage to the frame.

yes, they are heavy and decrease your available survival payload, but without a set of skid plates you're more likely to need your survival gear. also, they do bias the center of gravity to the dirty side, which helps if you're putting everything including the kitchen sink on the roof rack.

ive been in situations before where a buddy was stuck with nothing more than an ~8" tree stump between his engine skid and the transmission/tcase, and required extremely (as in sub-inch) careful spotting and driving to maneuver the truck to the side where he could use an open area under the truck to bring the stump next to the pinch weld, where he was able to sacrifice the tube steps to get clear. if he'd had skids to the back of the transfer case, it wouldn't have been an issue, just a brief "oops" and continue down the trail.

i've "rung" the forward skid plate on my truck pretty good, it has a deformation and a bunch of grind marks from...something, not sure what, but something...with full skids (including a belly skid), i don't worry much about what's going on under the truck, except as relates to getting high centered. the belly skid runs all the way back to where the frame begins to curve up, with a notch to allow the driveshaft to droop.

definately grab a skid plate...if you dont have one, i guarantee one day on the trail you'll find you wish you did, and may pay an awful high price in the process.

-sean

<sorta hijack off>

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Very nice set-up, love the wheel and tire combo... can't wait to see some campfire shots with the camper opened up!

:archaeolo

oly884

Nice to see another bozemanite, bozonian, how ever you want to say it. I swear I've seen your rig around town, that's a pretty unique topper you've got. Send me a PM if ya ever want to go camping or the like!

Str8lin

Hi Erod:

I agree, those BFG ATs are great all around tires. I had some Toyo MTs on last truck and where great in mud and rock, okay in snow.. but the ATs maybe best out there. I think they are the #1 rated snow tire by Canadian standards (read that somewhere).

Looks like you've got some snow! How much in the Bridgers?? I'm a Bobcat of '79 vintage. Lived up the canyon @ Big Sky back in 70s then to Bozeman. Went thro last summer.. would have to say the little town grew a bit.

Have you been wheeling up the Gallatin yet? Lots of great stuff as I recall.

Clutch

<---Pass
Jealous of your Wildernest....

You should try the Goodyear MTRs...I was a BFG guy for nearly 15 years...until...;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke